HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2010, 05:35 AM
Fuzzy user
Italy, Lombardy, Griante
Joined Oct 2003
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadduck View Post
Is there a slot under the covering for the Ventral fin (the one below the fuselage)?

Or does it just glue on to the keel?
yes, there is a slot. I just opened it with a sharp blade.
Lucam is offline Find More Posts by Lucam
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2010, 08:07 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadduck View Post
Thanks! couldn't tell by just feeling it.

Slowly getting it done.

An ok kit to build.
I'm going to try "a" maiden, today, if there is enough wind and I can gather up the courage.

You got me into this, Duck!
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 01, 2010, 10:56 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hi Angelfood,

Good luck with your maiden. Don't rush it into the air if you ROG, and don't release it until the rotors are in autorotation if you hand launch. Keep it close to help with orintation. If you have someone to help, be sure to film the endeavor so we can share in your success. If there are problems; a video will help us all pinpoint the cause and get you in the air.

Regards,
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
Old Dec 01, 2010, 11:02 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Thanks, Mike-too cold and wet here to find a friend, which will, of course, avoid indignity.

I'm reading conflicting things about ROG, which I'd prefer, and the test for autorotation is as clear as mud, with most folks providing only the conclusion, not the test for it!

Oh, well, it's part of the fly or die series!
Old Dec 01, 2010, 11:18 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
The ROG; is not difficult, but it is easy to make rookie mistakes. The uninitiated Gyro pilot has the tendancy to rush the aircraft off the ground with throttle before the rotors are at full rpm. You can easily force it into the air on motor thrust, and drag from the rotor, but it isn't flying until full rpm is achieved(DO NOT DO THIS). The result is always the same an uncontrolled roll all the way to the ground. If you keep the models ground speed just slow enough that; if it were a fixed wing it wouldn't fly you're in the right range. At that speed whe the rotors are in autorotation the aircraft wil lift off nicely every time. Just don't be impatiant, and test in an area with plenty of smooth flat surface.

The Hand launch; is pretty straight forward. Most guys ge into trouble with this because they throw the model into the air. Hold the model nose high until the rotors begin to make the "Whooshing" noise indicitive of Autorotation. Then lower the nose to almost level attitude with approx. 3/4 throttle or more and gently extend your arm (DON'T THROW IT) ensuring the model is level. It is an akward feeling the first time, I undrstand your apprehension, but believe it or not, hand launching is much easier than ROG in my opinion. Particularly with smaller gyros.

Either way I'm confident you'll do fine. By the way "DUCK" didn't get you in to this, your a grown man, you did it! Now that you've done it; we're all here to help you out.

-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
Last edited by Boneswamped; Dec 01, 2010 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Key board going bad, every third or fourth letter missing.
Old Dec 01, 2010, 11:20 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Thanks, Mike-Duck is fine-he and I have a "history" of joking back and forth.

If anyone is curious, mine weighs 26 ounces with a 25 c, 3s, 1300 battery, using a Microdan 2510 for power.
Old Dec 01, 2010, 11:28 AM
XavierM
Joined May 2010
57 Posts
Absolutely perfect if ...

...you pay attention to the rotor head : mine was mounted upside down in the kit. A friend got his correctly mounted....
Video (bad quality, sorry, better ones to come) :
Cierva 30 Hobby King (3 min 0 sec)

Equipment and settings :
1200 KV brusless motor, APC 9,4,7 prop, HK 20 amps controller, 9 grams standard servos (2,69 $), Rhino 1550 3s battery. Very good flight characteristics, easy, original and pleasant to fly and listen (flopflopflop...)
Rotor : 90 with the mast (neutral position) CG : when model is hung by the rotor mast with a string, nose must be heavy and go a little down, rotor gets horizontal. Throws : at least 8 movements for the rotor, to have good response in any situation. Delta mix on rotor servos and thread lock fluid to secure screws. Take off : first launch rotor by hand, model is held 45% nose up facing the wind so the rotor can turn faster, just like a windmill (autorotation). Blades must "whistle", hand feels when the rotor can lift it, make a few quick steps then gently launch it with nose a little up into with 50 % throttle. Without wind, a little run is necessary to get turns. Ground take off : never tried but should be possible on a smooth surface. Throttle up to climb, down to descend, never cut off, the elevator stick must be pulled a lot in case of sharp turn or model looses altitude. Landing : into wind with a little throttle and elevator stick back. Important : just like in many rc helicopters blades are attached with one bolt only (never with 2) so they can fold if the rotor hits the ground. Rigid fixation will break the blade or the rotor mechanism in case of bad landing. Rotor is light but it has a lot of kinetic energy. Enjoy yours !
XavierM is offline Find More Posts by XavierM
Last edited by XavierM; Dec 01, 2010 at 05:19 PM. Reason: words added
Old Dec 01, 2010, 11:36 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Nice-you French guys have the luck, Carla and all....

In U.S. English, we call that face at the end a "crap" eating grin!
Old Dec 01, 2010, 12:47 PM
XavierM
Joined May 2010
57 Posts
What does it mean ?
Last edited by XavierM; Dec 01, 2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2010, 01:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
It means bliss, delight, ecstasy or rapture, as in, you flew the thing!

Just came back from the field.

The Phoenix flew for about 1/2 second, rolled to the left and the mast broke!

I was too scared to hand-launch, so I tried an ROG as suggested, above, and the thing flew itself off the ground at what must have been quasi-autorotation, and promptly rolled left into the ground, breaking the mast and a clevin on the left rotor servo.

I did NOT apply back stick or elevator pressure.

I'm going out to buy some hardwood to replace the mast.

Anybody know the mast length?

Shucks....heartbreaker indeed.

Oh, no video needed-mine looked just like the first one posted by Rattlesnake!
Old Dec 01, 2010, 01:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierM View Post
What does it mean ?
I should also add that here, it happens when a Jerry Lewis movie is either cancelled, or comes to an end!
Old Dec 01, 2010, 01:31 PM
XavierM
Joined May 2010
57 Posts
Poor Jerry Lewis... Mast lenght is approx. 6 inches. Never tried to launch it ? It's easier, no propeller torque to compensate with rudder and rotor already has the right rotation speed for flight. Is the rotor plate in the right position ?? Hk sometimes sells kits with parts mounted upside down... If you try with the settings described above, and balanced blades, I'm sure it will work fine !!
Last edited by XavierM; Dec 01, 2010 at 01:49 PM. Reason: words added
Old Dec 01, 2010, 02:29 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,908 Posts
Bad luck Angel! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you next time.

Owl
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Dec 01, 2010, 04:52 PM
Manila Ninoy Intl, Philippines
Joined Nov 2001
1,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfood View Post

I'm going out to buy some hardwood to replace the mast.

Anybody know the mast length?

Shucks....heartbreaker indeed.
Sorry to hear about the roll.

I think there is a reason they used that kind of wood for the mast. It's so that it will snap in a crash and hopefully save the head.

Still finishing up mine. Will make some spare masts before I maiden.
deadduck is offline Find More Posts by deadduck
Old Dec 01, 2010, 04:59 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Aaar, matie, 3 years before the mast!