HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:17 PM
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Sep 2007
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanGyrohead View Post
Hello folks
I've got one and it was the first autogyro I flew successfully. I had a PT 15 for months and had lots of trouble. Now I know what I did wrong it's just fine, but if it wasn't for the Cierva I may have given up on gyros.
I crashed my Cierva many times, firstly due to hand launching without full power, then more crashes due to orientation problems. I never had to do more more than stick a few bits of foam back into place and put splints on the landing gear legs before it was ready to fly again. It flew fine with most of the landing gear smashed off and a chunk of tailplane missing.
It can hover in a breeze and it flew fine in conditions which grounded electric gliders.
I am well pleased with mine.
What motor and battery do you have in the Cierva?
flapaway is offline Find More Posts by flapaway
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:09 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
O.K., you guys have been of great help and I've reversed the head thingy, but not yet attached the blades (I'm afraid to!).

Now, what is this delta mix thing? If one servo goes to aileron and one to elevator, which one goes where? (from behind, does the right servo go into the aileron or elevator channel).

Thanks!
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:56 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,808 Posts
I use elevon mix which I think is the same. Plug in your servos, one to the aileron socket the other to the elevator socket. Set your delta/elevon mix on your transmitter.
If your rotor disc moves the the right (looking from behind) when right aileron is applied on your stick then this is correct this is called 'roll'. The same on your elevator stick, apply up and your rotor should tilt backwards.
If this doesn't happen first try swapping over your servo leads into the receiver. If its still wrong you will need to reverse on or both of these controls. You may have to revert back to swapping your servo leads into the receiver.
Eventually you will get the right combination.

UP- rearward tilt/pitch (elevatator stick)
DOWN- forward tilt/pitch (Do not go more than a few degrees past zero degrees)
LEFT- Left tilt/roll (aileron stick)
RIGHT- right tilt/roll

Hope this is of help?..once you have done it you will see how easy it is.
SafeLandings is online now Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Nov 23, 2010, 01:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Thanks, Safe!

Any tips on how to drill the blade thingys to fit the head thingy? (It appears that each blade, closest to the "head," has a flat spot, right?)

Thanks, guys, for bearing with me as I hope to be an autogyro fan soon!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 02:19 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,808 Posts
Surely they are pre drilled?
SafeLandings is online now Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Nov 23, 2010, 02:34 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Nup-or, at least, mine aren't.

Per Hobby City: Okey, doakey, no more jokey, no more holes to pokey!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 03:55 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeLandings View Post
I use elevon mix which I think is the same. Plug in your servos, one to the aileron socket the other to the elevator socket. Set your delta/elevon mix on your transmitter.
If your rotor disc moves the the right (looking from behind) when right aileron is applied on your stick then this is correct this is called 'roll'. The same on your elevator stick, apply up and your rotor should tilt backwards.
If this doesn't happen first try swapping over your servo leads into the receiver. If its still wrong you will need to reverse on or both of these controls. You may have to revert back to swapping your servo leads into the receiver.
Eventually you will get the right combination.

UP- rearward tilt/pitch (elevatator stick)
DOWN- forward tilt/pitch (Do not go more than a few degrees past zero degrees)
LEFT- Left tilt/roll (aileron stick)
RIGHT- right tilt/roll

Hope this is of help?..once you have done it you will see how easy it is.
Works like a charm! Many, many thanks-now, to drill those blades....
Old Nov 23, 2010, 05:37 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Doh! Poked around the blade inner ends with a small screwdriver and found covering over two holes! I removed the fabric and mounted the blades. I'm close.

So, now, as I understand it, viewed from above, the blades turn counterclockwise, or the opposite of Mickey's little tail, right?

Do you give it a manual spin before running?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 08:52 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,685 Posts
If you go to #63 you will see the information I posted to help with the launch.If there is no wind then you will have to flip the blades ,but with a little wind the blades should spin OK and you will feel the model pulling on your arm.Not a heavy steep launch,more like a gentle horizontal push,with about 2/3 power. I have not had to run,as autoratation of the blades,can be reached at walking pace.make sure the model is level,not leaning left or right.Yes you are correct with the direction of the blades.
Happy Landings
Chris............
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Nov 23, 2010, 09:05 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,685 Posts
Flapaway
The report you highlighted was not about this model. Alangyrohead was talking about the LA heli C-30 model.

The motor I used in this kit is an Emax CF 2822 with a SF 9x4.7 prop and a 2250 ma 3cell pak This size lipo is far to large but ballast was required in the nose to get the hang angle correct.
Good Luck
Chris...........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Nov 24, 2010, 08:03 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
O.K., does one "fly" this thing with the rudder, or is that only for ground use?

So far, I've mixed in 15% rudder with "elevator," and about 35% expo on all surfaces.

I hope to maiden with a week or so.

Thanks to all who have helped with this little puzzle!
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:32 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,684 Posts
Hey Angelfood - how about a pic? Good luck with the maiden

Owl
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:45 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Power system will be added, today: the paper in the cockpit is my "punch list" of items to finish or secure with loctite (old age!).

I choose to remove some cockpit material rather than bend the rotor pushrods as suggest by the kind fellow who posted some build instructions on the Hobby City web page.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:26 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,684 Posts
Its looks stunning!
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:29 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Thanks, but from your great distance, I suspect it's an optical illusion!

The thing scares my donkey just thinking of trying to fly it.