HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:32 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
I got mine today, and I'm very impressed so far, hovered hands free straight out of the box. A bit of a tail heavy issue sitting on the skids, but only with the battery in. I put a 4gram blob of butack in the nose and now it's balanced, I'll see if it affects the flight characteristics later on a calm day.
stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:41 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormforce View Post
I got mine today, and I'm very impressed so far, hovered hands free straight out of the box. A bit of a tail heavy issue sitting on the skids, but only with the battery in. I put a 4gram blob of butack in the nose and now it's balanced, I'll see if it affects the flight characteristics later on a calm day.
4 gram added weight? That will affect flight times a lot!
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:39 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,338 Posts
It's not the flight time. It's the response. I can feel when the bird is weighted down. Especially using lesser quality battery. You don't get that punch. Transitions are sluggish.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:54 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
After installing the 4gram blob, I took it out for a quick test flight and noticed it was taking off forward, but quickly levelled off to a hands free hover, so I dropped it down to 2grams, still has the same balance point though. Yet to test fly it.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:53 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
It's not the flight time. It's the response. I can feel when the bird is weighted down. Especially using lesser quality battery. You don't get that punch. Transitions are sluggish.
Certainlly, the heli will feel sluggish too. But as the motor has to work harder, flight times will be affected too. Just compare the Bravo SX, 5g heavier than the Solo Pro V, needing stronger motors to help it fly zippy enough, flies 5 minutes on a 150 mAh battery. The V flies 6 minutes or more on a 120 mAh battery. That's about 50% higher power consumption.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:40 PM
wisconsin
Joined Nov 2005
52 Posts
this is a bravo i converted to a pro, i used a pro frame and tail fin, shorten the fly bar with less weight it really scoots
nabit is offline Find More Posts by nabit
Old Mar 16, 2012, 05:22 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
The 2 gram nose weight balances the bravo well. Took it out for a battery just a while ago and I love the way it flies, it really scoots along and does banked turns beautifully.

I'm very impressed.

I had a slight mishap with a wall and broke a tail rotor. I tried superglue and it worked for a while but another hard landing saw it snap again in the same place, so I thought I'd try the stock Xieda 9958 tail blade, as it has the same diameter and pitch and it works a treat, no noticeable difference in performance or trim. To stop the tail blade from hitting the deck on landing, I superglued a thin dressmakers pin the the tail fin, and bent it to act as a tail skid, it works great and doesn't allow the tail blade to hit the deck.
Last edited by stormforce; Mar 16, 2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:45 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabit View Post
this is a bravo i converted to a pro, i used a pro frame and tail fin, shorten the fly bar with less weight it really scoots
I have the same, but in reverse -- Solo Pro modified with Bravo SX motor, tail and Rx (to replace the damaged original one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormforce View Post
The 2 gram nose weight balances the bravo well. Took it out for a battery just a while ago and I love the way it flies, it really scoots along and does banked turns beautifully. I'm very impressed.
Yeah, the Bravo looks very good in flight. If only it didn't make that much noise... But one can't have everything, I suppose.

Quote:
I had a slight mishap with a wall and broke a tail rotor. I tried superglue and it worked for a while but another hard landing saw it snap again in the same place, so I thought I'd try the stock Xieda 9958 tail blade
The same thing happened to me (broke it, glued it, broke it again), but that was before I got my 9958. So I bought half a dozen spare Bravo tail rotors, and of course haven't broken one since.
V-Man is online now Find More Posts by V-Man
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:36 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Man View Post
Yeah, the Bravo looks very good in flight. If only it didn't make that much noise... But one can't have everything, I suppose.
Yeah, it is a bit noisy, by comparison to the Xieda 9958, but I put it down to the canopy amplifing any noise. Love the way it looks when it banks into corner on FFF and stops on a dime. However, the flybar does hit the tail boom and canopy on aggressive movements fore and aft, just like it's big brother, the kestrel, it does exactly the same thing, but I can live with the option to just not be as aggressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Man View Post
The same thing happened to me (broke it, glued it, broke it again), but that was before I got my 9958. So I bought half a dozen spare Bravo tail rotors, and of course haven't broken one since.
yeah, I thought the same, so I bought 6 tail rotors as well, it seems there is a weak point close to the centre mounting hole on one blade, probably a casting artifact, and that's exactly where mine snapped. It's pretty hard plastic too, compared to others out there, so I suppose it's not as forgiving when it comes to hard hits.

I just gotta fly it with some respect, but it's so much fun to fly, I can't help myself sometimes !!!

Has anyone had a NE tx go bad? My bravo TX is doing all sorts of strange things, the display is fluctuates and briefly shows every item on the display on power up, then shows the normal display after 2 - 3 seconds. It only shows half capacity in the battery meter, even with tested brand new full alkaline "duracell" batteries, and when I use the trims, the display fades and nearly dissappears and becomes sluggish. If I use the tx to charge the heli battery, it almost totally shuts down and the battery meter shows totally flat, then as soon as I remove the heli battery, it slowly climbs back up to half again. I have a NE Kestrel 500sx, so I've bound the Bravo to it as well, so I can still fly it and the kestrel from the same tx, just not at the same time.

Any ideas other than sending it back to MyRCMart for a warranty claim? I'm bit handy with electronics and soldering, but I just can't trace down the fault. I've looked for dry solders and bridged pins, but I'm thinking a component is on it's way out, I just can't find which one it is.
Last edited by stormforce; Mar 17, 2012 at 01:53 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 02:28 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,667 Posts
My favorite move with the SX when outdoor is slowly moving forward, then increase forward elevator, while adding left rudder and a little left aileron, so it makes a left swing sweeping banked turn, and then go into some FFF. Feels a bit like a "Tally Ho" move you see those WW2 planes make when they spot an enemy, and then break formation to swoop down on their target. The scale canopy makes this look extra good.

As for TX failures, so far I've only heard of some having problems with the power switch. Perhaps your problem is also related to that. If you can claim warranty, that's always the first thing to do. If you can't, it might be worth checking out the switch by opening the TX. If it's dodgy, measuring it's resistance will most likely reveal that. You could also check the few internal connections, unplug and reseat that. I've had a Graupner transmitter on an RTR boat recently that had no response to throttle trigger, got a replacement, and was allowed to keep the dodgy one. I opened it, reseated all connectors, and it's been working fine since.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2012, 03:07 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Thanks, I'll try that.

I haven't thought of the power switch itself, I found a dodgy connection on the charge led, with a broken away trace, so I jumped it to it's resistor, but it still hasn't fixed the issue.

Time to do some more looking I guess.

I've ordered a new tx from china, just in case it's a total goner.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:22 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
I just spent another hour on the tx, and checked the main power switch and the connection from the battery bank, and re-soldered all the pins just in case and still no go, actually, it's even worse. I had to put in brand new long life lithium AA batteries, just to get the battery indicator to show one bar, and they are putting out 1.65vdc each for a total of 6.6vdc and it's still trying to tell me to change the batteries, with a warning beep every 5 seconds.

So I give up, it's gotta be a blown i.c in it somewhere, and I don't have the diagnostic skills to find out what the problem is and where to get replacements parts from.

Good thing I still have the Kestrel TX, so I can still fly.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:19 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Mar 2012
25 Posts
Hi,

I recently bought a bravo sx and it has been working fine for a few days but now the tail doesn't spin at all. I replaced the tail motor and tail rotor and it still wont spin. I then plugged the tail plug into the main motor area and it spins fine, so its not a motor problem. The tail stopped working randomly after I landed a few days ago. Would any of you know a solution?

thanks
MichaelCopter is offline Find More Posts by MichaelCopter
Old Mar 25, 2012, 02:54 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelCopter View Post
Hi,

I recently bought a bravo sx and it has been working fine for a few days but now the tail doesn't spin at all. I replaced the tail motor and tail rotor and it still wont spin. I then plugged the tail plug into the main motor area and it spins fine, so its not a motor problem. The tail stopped working randomly after I landed a few days ago. Would any of you know a solution?

thanks
Sounds like the tail motor speed control is broken, or the pins that the motor connects to are not making good contact with the circuit board. The latter you can check for, if the transistor of the speed control is broken, you would need to be able to repair SMD circuit boards, or get a new receiver, and keep this one for spares, like the servos.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2012, 03:59 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Mar 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
Sounds like the tail motor speed control is broken, or the pins that the motor connects to are not making good contact with the circuit board. The latter you can check for, if the transistor of the speed control is broken, you would need to be able to repair SMD circuit boards, or get a new receiver, and keep this one for spares, like the servos.
Ok thanks i think ill just buy a new receiver
MichaelCopter is offline Find More Posts by MichaelCopter