Nice job.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:25 AM
proceramic
United States, WI, La Crosse
Joined Feb 2011
29 Posts
Thanks. I added the delrin head and I can confirm that it has eliminated the wobble effect.
proceramic is offline Find More Posts by proceramic
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:22 AM
Joined Jun 2011
8,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by proceramic View Post
After seeing Donaldneffs MIAs300 conversion, I had to do it This thing is a blast to fly, seems a bit quicker and alot more responsive than the stock sx.Its also much quiter without the 500 canopy. Thanks Walter for the input on this cool little mod.

Sweet! Looks awesome! Man you got a black one... I'd prefer black but the place where I bought mine only had yellow, blue or red. I ordered the yellow one and I think it will be here tomorrow. I'm looking forward to tinker with this this week. Mine will not be done with a BravoSX, though. I'm converting my Solo Pro 270.

Is there anything you think I need to know to save some time? Like... Is there something you had to improvise to make this work or was it pretty straightforward to put together?

Very nice work, pro.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:04 PM
proceramic
Joined Feb 2011
29 Posts
Thanks Chris,Its a very easy mod. You'll need a second airframe to relocate the boom,atleast with the sx not sure about the 270. You will also need to mount your own canopy rods. IMO it flies better than the sx did and it balances perfect,I can hover damn near through an entire battery hands free aside from throttle adjustment. Will try to get a vid of her flyin this weekend so you can see just how smooth it is,plus it just looks cool in the air. Also,its OD green not black,my old digital cam didnt want to cooperate when I took the pics
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:25 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8,142 Posts
I'm looking forward to the video, Sir. Thank you kindly for the reply.

I'm hoping that, since the SP 270 has a lower mount for the tail boom, I won't need to use a second frame to do this. But I'm willing to spare another frame for this mod, if need be. Seems worth it. Between you and Donald, the reviews are excellent. Plus, it's really fun to tinker with this. I can't wait to get my kit so I can get started!

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 04, 2012, 06:37 PM
proceramic
Joined Feb 2011
29 Posts
Vids kinda crappy but it fits right in with my awesome driving skills

Old Mar 05, 2012, 01:00 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
I'm looking forward to the video, Sir. Thank you kindly for the reply.

I'm hoping that, since the SP 270 has a lower mount for the tail boom, I won't need to use a second frame to do this. But I'm willing to spare another frame for this mod, if need be. Seems worth it. Between you and Donald, the reviews are excellent. Plus, it's really fun to tinker with this. I can't wait to get my kit so I can get started!

Best,
Chris
Well, Chris did this mod, and found no modding or adding parts from a second frame was needed on the SP270. Check the 270 thread for more details.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 11:42 AM
United States, OH, New Vienna
Joined Mar 2011
280 Posts
Quote:

Nice Job!
og1974 is offline Find More Posts by og1974
Old Mar 05, 2012, 01:06 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8,142 Posts
Quote:

Looks good, mate. How much does lift and flight time suffer on yours given the extra weight? In the video, it looks like the heli struggles to lift a bit and the video is rather short. Were you running out of power already?

I did the mod, too, and while I love the look of it, I find that performance in terms of lift and flight time is not as good. Not even close. Flight time is shorter and the heli doesn't have the same oumff to lift off as it does it stock form. It flies excellent, though. For that reason, I'm considering going back to using Xtreme skids and normal tail boom and only keeping the nice looking MIA canopy.

As solo pro mentioned, check out the SP 270 thread to see my mod on the 270.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:58 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,662 Posts
Odd to see so much weight increase, I thought Donaldneffe's MIA converted SX was the same weight as a stock Bravo SX.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:20 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
Odd to see so much weight increase, I thought Donaldneffe's MIA converted SX was the same weight as a stock Bravo SX.
I believe that is not possible. Between the metal skids, the skids frame and the metal tail boom, this HAS to weigh more than BSX skids and fuse. But maybe I'm wrong. Sure is heavier than the SP canopy and skids.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:45 PM
proceramic
Joined Feb 2011
29 Posts
Iam having trouble uploading the vid in its entirety and dropshot will only let me upload half of it unless I pay for membership.Tried youtube,photobucket,imageshack,metcafe etc. and they all fail.Dont get it, as the file is AVI format. Anyways,I get exactly 4 min flight time,about 30 sec. less than it did with the stock SX. Doesnt seem to struggle too much gettin off the ground as long as the battery is fresh. That hesitation and bobbing on take off was mostly caused from the pilots thumbs and the few beers he had while doing his pre-flight.lmao
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:25 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,662 Posts
Quote:
I believe that is not possible. Between the metal skids, the skids frame and the metal tail boom, this HAS to weigh more than BSX skids and fuse. But maybe I'm wrong. Sure is heavier than the SP canopy and skids.

Best,
Chris
I understand your feeling, but the canopy of the SX adds about 4g or so extra weight over the Solo Pro V, with the other 1g going into the navigation light and the slightly bigger tail motor.

This is the weight Donaldsneffe aka Walter got on his MIA modded SX without battery:

As the Bravo SX is about 33g with battery, and the battery weighs 4g and a little, the SX without battery will also be close to 29g. Small or no difference.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 03:17 AM
Joined Jun 2011
8,142 Posts
Interesting. I weighed mine today before and after I made changes. I'll keep the details for the 270 thread, but mine weighs 30.68g without battery. This is using a Genius CP tail motor and tail rotor blades. That's over 3 grams more than the stock NE270. Makes a big difference, I find.

More about this in the 270 thread, with pics and videos.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 06, 2012, 03:49 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,662 Posts
Quote:
Interesting. I weighed mine today before and after I made changes. I'll keep the details for the 270 thread, but mine weighs 30.68g without battery. This is using a Genius CP tail motor and tail rotor blades. That's over 3 grams more than the stock NE270. Makes a big difference, I find.

More about this in the 270 thread, with pics and videos.

Best,
Chris
Did you also compare weight of the Genius CP motors vs the stock motors?

Btw, the SP270 weighs more than the SX, when not taking into account the canopy. The main shaft is metal vs CF on the SX, and it has a metal feathering shaft vs the full plastic head on the SX.