HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:40 AM
Joined Jul 2011
75 Posts
I read through the entire FAQ - part one and two. Have a question on rotate speed.

My brother and I both have Bravo SX's and are wondering if when rotating - it's usual to go about 1/2 as fast one way ( right, ) as opposed to the other way. Same with turning / flying in general. We find the left turns are MUCH faster than the right turns.

Common on all SX's?

Thanks!!!
jonnyrockets is offline Find More Posts by jonnyrockets
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2011, 11:01 AM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
It's common for all single rotor helis. The main rotor rotates clockwise & produces torque that spins the heli to the left. The tail rotor is used to counteract this torque and keep the heli stable. When using the rudder to turn left, the tail rotor simply slows down and stops spinning thus letting the heli do want it wants to naturally do, spin left, there is no resistance. When turning right, the tail rotor needs to fight the torque from the main blades to 'push' the heli right.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old Aug 08, 2011, 11:19 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post
It's common for all single rotor helis. The main rotor rotates clockwise & produces torque that spins the heli to the left. The tail rotor is used to counteract this torque and keep the heli stable. When using the rudder to turn left, the tail rotor simply slows down and stops spinning thus letting the heli do want it wants to naturally do, spin left, there is no resistance. When turning right, the tail rotor needs to fight the torque from the main blades to 'push' the heli right.
That is true, but you might have another issue. On most Bravo SXs the tail motor is so strong, instead of having to use trim right for the tail to hold, you usually trim left. This creates a little imbalance in tail response. The farther the trim goes left, the faster the heli will also respond to left rudder. I have one Bravo SX on which subtrim doesn't work, so I can't alter rudder trim to have it more around the middle during the flight. I start with around 2 clicks left, and piros left and right are not that much different. But during the flight the tail motor gets more effective (don't ask me how, most motors lose a little power as the battery gets drained and the motor heats up) and the response on left rudder gets more agressive. Close to the end of the flight I need almost full trim left on rudder, and the diference in response gets bigger. Piros right will go like slow motion, and left is like 2 turns per second.

When flying outside, this is less present, since you usually do wider turns, and don't need full rudder either way, you use aileron more for turns as speed gets higher.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:25 PM
Joined Jul 2011
75 Posts
Thanks very much - we will go through the setup procedure from the start again.

ANOTHER QUESTION - SOUND!

My brothers is very noisy - grindy noisy as described - My Bravo is pretty quiet actually! But seems to lack power -and battery life is low. a couple min. Possible bad motor?

Thanks again.
jonnyrockets is offline Find More Posts by jonnyrockets
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:40 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyrockets View Post
Thanks very much - we will go through the setup procedure from the start again.

ANOTHER QUESTION - SOUND!

My brothers is very noisy - grindy noisy as described - My Bravo is pretty quiet actually! But seems to lack power -and battery life is low. a couple min. Possible bad motor?

Thanks again.
With a good battery you should be able to fly indoor for at least 5 minutes, and still have some time to make a good landing.

Outside I fly a little shorter, because I rev the engine up a little higher during high speed passes.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:55 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
My SX finally arrived! It got held up in customs, damn Australia Post.

Only had the one flight but I like it. Bound to my Solo Pro TX just fine which is great, it's nice having one TX for two helis. I used subtrim on both helis so they now have a stable hover with all trims centred which is also great.

I was a little nervous on my first flight, don't want to crack that fuselage. Aside from being noisy I like everything about it. Seems to have a bit more stability than my Solo Pro, and a bit more speed. I seem to be able to throw the Solo Pro around a bit better, but that's probably because I'm not used to the SX yet.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:59 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
One interesting thing to add, I adjusted the gyro gain on my Solo Pro and this setting seems to have transferred over to my SX, so I would concluded that this info is stored in the TX and not the RX.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:09 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
One weird thing about the gyro gain, the setting doesn't seem to always 'stick'. Not sure if this is because I'm using the same TX across 2 helis, or something else but it's weird and I need to investigate it further.

It seems if I leave the SX for over 30 minutes (just guessing here) then fly it, the gyro resets to the default rate (slow pirouettes). If I enter subtrim mode and then exit again, making no adjustments whatsoever, the gyro resets to how I've set it up on my Solo Pro, which is to be a lot faster with pirouettes.

Another strange thing is that on what I'm assuming is the factory default gyro setting, there is a very noticeable difference in pirouette speed in either direction, as is mentioned above by another user. The difference is way more pronounced than with my Solo Pro. Once I enter subtrim mode and exit, the pirouette rate becomes a lot more balanced, with a much slighter difference in speed between each direction.

Weird.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:26 AM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
Doesn't the Solo Pro and Bravo SX share the same Rx board?
Brosol is offline Find More Posts by Brosol
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:42 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosol View Post
Doesn't the Solo Pro and Bravo SX share the same Rx board?
I think so, aside from some minor differences like the navigation lights.

It's weird. Both helis are bound to the one TX, and this works just fine. I don't need to re-bind or anything like that. Also, the trim settings seem to be independent between the two helis, which works out great. I have them both trimmed out perfectly and all trims are centred thanks to subtrim.

It's just the gyro gain that seems to act up with the SX. My Solo Pro has no problem retaining the gyro gain setting whatsoever, but if I don't fly the SX for a while it seems to default back to the factory setting. If I fly with only a 5 minute break, the setting is retained. Also, when the gyro gain setting is lost on the SX, if I enter than exit subtrim mode, the gyro setting is restored.

Like I said, it's weird.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:49 AM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
Swap the Rx boards and see what happens.
Brosol is offline Find More Posts by Brosol
Old Aug 10, 2011, 04:06 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Think I'll just live with it. It's not that much of a nuisance.

The SX flies very well, the only problem I have with it is that it has the wobbles when hovering, when it's moving it handles like a dream though, very smooth and precise.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 05:52 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post
Think I'll just live with it. It's not that much of a nuisance.

The SX flies very well, the only problem I have with it is that it has the wobbles when hovering, when it's moving it handles like a dream though, very smooth and precise.

Knew you would like it. Despite having the same head setup, it feels much more accurate when moving around.

As for the wobbles, these might be caused by lateral play on the blades. If you have the Xtreme Metal Head, or the Delrin version, you could try fitting a thin washer on either side, see if it helps. I believe someone already did, and claimed no more wobbling.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 05:59 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Think I'll just live with the wobble for now, it was also present on my Solo Pro in the beginning but eventually went away. Perhaps the parts just need to wear in a little.

Yep, she's very precise. I do enjoy the nimbleness of the Solo Pro though, but the SX corners better (especially regarding left hand turns), pirouettes better and overall seems a lot more solid in the air.

The fuselage scares me a little though, it just looks/feels so fragile, you can hear it stressing when you press on it. Mind you, I've had a couple of stumbles and nothing has broken or cracked, so it must be stronger than it looks. I love the lights too.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 07:34 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Quick qu, is the SX supposed to have an on/off switch? Mine has the empty casing of the on/off switch however there's no switch inside and it just turns on when the battery is inserted. Did they change the spec on this?