HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2011, 02:20 PM
Joined Jan 2011
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
Some reported the SX being more crash resistant, as the body shields the inside, like the board, better.[...]
It's true, you can continue to fly after many crashes, but with the cracked canopy the SX looks definitely worse than Solo Pro.
helicopcat is offline Find More Posts by helicopcat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2011, 02:21 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
my kids are pretty well trained on cutting the throttle from 6010s still so that shouldn't be too much of a problem but now it got me thinking on the SX, does the fuselage come off easy to swap the lipo or is there a slide in spot below the bird that i can't see from pics here?
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
Old Jun 17, 2011, 02:48 PM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,746 Posts
I don't speak from experience but I believe there is a slide in spot. I think there's a little flap that hinges open, or is perhaps fixed with a screw? Someone with an SX will have to clarify, but I do know that whatever the system is, you don't need to remove the fuselage.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old Jun 18, 2011, 04:14 AM
Joined May 2011
42 Posts
Just plug the lipo in and out! No screwdriver required.
They removed the panel protecting the battery and screw, because 150 mAh is longer than the 120 mAh.

Dont pay attention to the rod between the skids, it is a friend who does not want the chopper to bounce on the ground... Until he has mastered precision on the throttle.
McCauley is offline Find More Posts by McCauley
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:25 AM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
that makes sense, it would be kind of a pain w/o the slide in slot.

the other thing i noticed the lipo connectors used on these seem to be NE proprietary and i was thinking turnigy nano-tech 160mah 25C would be an ideal lipo for it and have some... i see hobbyking carries a 150mah for SX but it seems to be only 10C, perhaps thats good enough... regardless anyone try to change the adapters?
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:37 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,746 Posts
I know some people have rewired the heli to use E-Flite style batteries.

The OEM HobbyKing replacements actually work better than the stock NE batteries. I use the 120's in my Solo Pro and get more oomph and flight time with them, and they're dirt cheap. You can get 6 batteries for around $10 delivered.

Hyperion make a high quality aftermarket battery with the correct NE plug, not sure how well it does in the SX but apparently it rocks in the Solo Pro: http://www.clubheli.com/HYPERION-G3-...os_p_2883.html
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:03 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
yeap those hyperions are top notch but they are typically priced relatively high compared to almost as good nanotechs with the similar C discharge rating (25C/45C burst hyperion, 25C/40C burst for nanotech) for about $1.50 at HK for a 160mah.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11893
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:16 PM
United States, OH, New Vienna
Joined Mar 2011
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp View Post
yeap those hyperions are top notch but they are typically priced relatively high compared to almost as good nanotechs with the similar C discharge rating (25C/45C burst hyperion, 25C/40C burst for nanotech) for about $1.50 at HK for a 160mah.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11893
Are these direct fit for SX or do you need to do a mod?
og1974 is offline Find More Posts by og1974
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:22 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by og1974 View Post
Are these direct fit for SX or do you need to do a mod?
i think they need to be modded, the connector looks different on the SX lipos that i am able to see.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:25 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,746 Posts
Yeah, they are not a standard Nine Eagles battery, so a mod will be required.

These do not need modding (well, some sanding of the edges):

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=14730

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=14890
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:45 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
those direct fit lipos frank are all 10C discharge which is probably more than plenty for these light birds however i am wondering if anyone tried the higher performance lipos of 25C and what their observations were compared to a much lesser discharge.

most likely it makes the throttle much more touchier and takeoffs are like a rocket and it may not make sense on a scaled SX but for a solo pro 130mah 25C it may make sense, connect mod required
Old Jun 18, 2011, 01:23 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,746 Posts
Have a read of this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1412465
Old Jun 18, 2011, 02:29 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp View Post
those direct fit lipos frank are all 10C discharge which is probably more than plenty for these light birds however i am wondering if anyone tried the higher performance lipos of 25C and what their observations were compared to a much lesser discharge.

most likely it makes the throttle much more touchier and takeoffs are like a rocket and it may not make sense on a scaled SX but for a solo pro 130mah 25C it may make sense, connect mod required
I used Thunder Power cells in the SX, as well as Hyperion 130. Didn't get more power, the stock 150 mAh NE lipo really packs a punch. It stays cooler after 5 minutes of flight than a stock NE 120 mAh in the Solo Pro, which draws less power. The Hobby King OEM 150 offers slightly lower flight times than the stock 150 mAh NE lipo, but perform nice as well. The 10C rating put on the OEMs is pretty on the safe side. But they perform better than the normal Turnigy 160 mAh batteries, which are supposed to be 30C...
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2011, 04:48 PM
United States, OH, New Vienna
Joined Mar 2011
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
looking good!
Haven't noticed the tail prop hitting the tail yet, but have bounced the tail on the ground a few times. Wish they made the skids 1/8 longer towards the rear. How well are yours able to hover? I'm still finding the the throttle very touchy, esp around 60percent i.e. Hovering.
Sorry I must have overlooked your question... Both hover great. I haven't flown them inside, I charged batt and headed right outside, setting 2 on tx (advanced) didn't need to do much trim to get a good hover. I have a little trouble now and then with the tx, use to walkera tx...those sticks aren't quite so fluid in movement, but the more I fly them, the better I get with NE tx. And yes, a tad bit longer skids would be great, she likes to sit on her tail at times.
og1974 is offline Find More Posts by og1974
Old Jun 19, 2011, 12:58 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by og1974 View Post
Sorry I must have overlooked your question... Both hover great. I haven't flown them inside, I charged batt and headed right outside, setting 2 on tx (advanced) didn't need to do much trim to get a good hover. I have a little trouble now and then with the tx, use to walkera tx...those sticks aren't quite so fluid in movement, but the more I fly them, the better I get with NE tx. And yes, a tad bit longer skids would be great, she likes to sit on her tail at times.
Landing is a little tricky, but with some practice you can set this heli down with no tipping over backwards. 2 key factors are keeping the descent gentle, so don't "plant" the heli down on the ground. Second thing to do is give a fraction of forward elevator just as the skids are about to touch down. It's just a little correction, too much or too early and the heli will slide forward when still in ground effect. With these tricks in mind, I manage to set this small heli down almost like a much bigger heli would, it looks really scale like, and gives a very good feeling when you achieve such a landing. When I have a less nice landing, I often throttle up again, and do it again, if the battery has enough juice to perform another landing. But since I usually start my descent around the 4 1/2 minute mark, I have plenty power to spare for this.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member