HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 19, 2011, 06:17 AM
SMILE you're being recorded :)
Velociraptor73's Avatar
Joined Apr 2010
754 Posts
So...

For what I could understand reading the futurhobby statement on their Bravo SX page, the issue that is occurring to a great percentage of units can be corrected with trimming adjusts and seems to be due to poor factory gyro adjustment.

Can someone confirm that?

Or does it really need to have parts replaced to be free of problems in a expressive percentage of units?

If it is a mechanical problem, what are the parts that need replacement?

I'm about to place a 100 units orders at Nine Eagles for my eshop but that is on hold now until I'm sure about what to expect from this new heli quality control.
Velociraptor73 is offline Find More Posts by Velociraptor73
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:07 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
SoloProFan's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,612 Posts
Marconos says it's the receiver, but I didn't get it clear if it is just a matter of adjusting the gyro, replacing the main shaft, and today I even got an idea that perhaps the tail rotor might be involved as well, since Serum reported that there is much imbalance in the tail rotor, and this can even give issues on the Solo Pro.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 04:20 PM
staff tecnico-prismalia-techn
marconos's Avatar
Italy, Campania, Naples
Joined Apr 2010
219 Posts
have two hypotheses:
1 Seller
1 buyer
Now I speak as a buyer, a model presented rtf
must be ready to fly
I have this comment in the robes of a novice-beginner
spending money

for a model to maintain the standards that we all have pointed .............................
the competition is so great,so you better have a reliable product .......
marconos is offline Find More Posts by marconos
Last edited by marconos; Jan 19, 2011 at 04:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 07:25 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2006
169 Posts
Hi folks,

I already have a Solo Pro

but noob to the Bravo SX thread here

Mine arrived this a.m. from Buzzflyer.

Bound it, flew it, noted it was noisier than the SP, it doesn't seem to be a quantum leap more stable than the SP with old head setup and RX02.

Landed it, it tipped over backwards, hmmm a bit embarrassing

So, I added a couple of bits of ball pen ink tube to the rear ends of the skids, just enough so that it tips back upright if I try to tip it.

Until I can land without falling over then I'll take it off again.

You're welcome to add this to the FAQ if it helps anyone
cozzykim is offline Find More Posts by cozzykim
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 07:42 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2006
169 Posts
I also noticed that the heli is wobbling when it's in a stable hover.

I tried turning the gyro down a little but I'm not sure if this has made any difference. I'm flying indoors anyway so there are always rotor wash effects masking any inherent instabilities.

At the moment it's the honeymoon period with this little darling, so I'm not too worried by this

Now then, gonna need more batts, only got 4, and some spares
cozzykim is offline Find More Posts by cozzykim
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:48 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2011
5 Posts
New Bravo SX

Hi Guys

I just bought the Bravo SX Deluxe. Could you tell me if my heli performance is normal. I'm not too impressed for 90.

Out of the box, first flight. Heli leans to the right about 3 degrees, looks awful. I also had to trim full left, but it still turns a little. Also it barely stands level, tail heavy and landing always falls on it's tail.

Flight time isn't great, why don't they but a on/off switch on the transmitter for the lights. They must take some of the power. Have you come to a conclusion about which battery to use?

I have a Z-Bruce and it's very stable, (only 30) lights are switchable and flight time is 7mins+ Can't be flown outdoors though.

Cheers
Grosvenor is offline Find More Posts by Grosvenor
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:59 AM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Frank_fjs's Avatar
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Leaning is normal, not just for this heli but for most fixed pitch micro helis.

Being tail heavy is also a normal trait, I often hear people complaining about the heli dropping on its tail on landings.

Flight time should be in the 5-6 minute range. If not, you may have a dud lipo battery.

Transmitter batteries won't last long if you're using that to recharge, get a wall charger if you don't already have one.

This thread has a lot of useful information: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1337008
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 02:15 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
SoloProFan's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Hi Guys

I just bought the Bravo SX Deluxe. Could you tell me if my heli performance is normal. I'm not too impressed for 90.

Out of the box, first flight. Heli leans to the right about 3 degrees, looks awful. I also had to trim full left, but it still turns a little. Also it barely stands level, tail heavy and landing always falls on it's tail.

Flight time isn't great, why don't they but a on/off switch on the transmitter for the lights. They must take some of the power. Have you come to a conclusion about which battery to use?

I have a Z-Bruce and it's very stable, (only 30) lights are switchable and flight time is 7mins+ Can't be flown outdoors though.

Cheers

Like Frank_fjs already mentioned, the lean is normal. If you can't trim the tail, even with subtrim (you can find how to access subtrim by following the link Frank mentioned) you have received a faulty one. It seems some new receivers have issues with rudder trim.

The leds take very little power compared to the motors. The nice scale fuselage makes this heli a little heavy, so that is why flight time is between 5 to 6 minutes max. If you have a precision scale, check the battery weight, some Bravo SX sets came with a too heavy battery, weighing 4.7g instead of around 4.3g which will affect performance and flight times, and make the heli more tail heavy.

With some practice it's possible to make it gently touch down without the tip over. The key is to lower throttle gently, and then giving a fraction of forward elevator as the skids are touching down.

Best alternative batteries are the Hobby King 120 and 150 "replacement" battery. The 120 gives shorter flight times, but make the heli less tail heavy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzykim View Post
I also noticed that the heli is wobbling when it's in a stable hover.

I tried turning the gyro down a little but I'm not sure if this has made any difference. I'm flying indoors anyway so there are always rotor wash effects masking any inherent instabilities.

At the moment it's the honeymoon period with this little darling, so I'm not too worried by this

Now then, gonna need more batts, only got 4, and some spares
Don't want to spoil your new found happiness, but the wobble in hover can indicate you have a less than optimal receiver in your heli.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzykim View Post
Hi folks,

I already have a Solo Pro

but noob to the Bravo SX thread here

Mine arrived this a.m. from Buzzflyer.

Bound it, flew it, noted it was noisier than the SP, it doesn't seem to be a quantum leap more stable than the SP with old head setup and RX02.

Landed it, it tipped over backwards, hmmm a bit embarrassing

So, I added a couple of bits of ball pen ink tube to the rear ends of the skids, just enough so that it tips back upright if I try to tip it.

Until I can land without falling over then I'll take it off again.

You're welcome to add this to the FAQ if it helps anyone

Nice idea. Like mentioned above, with some practice you can set this heli down without it falling backwards.

The Bravo SX is not really more stable than the SP, but it handles turns better, and is a little faster outside.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 03:05 PM
Registered User
helicopcat's Avatar
Joined Jan 2011
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzykim View Post
I also noticed that the heli is wobbling when it's in a stable hover.

I tried turning the gyro down a little but I'm not sure if this has made any difference. I'm flying indoors anyway so there are always rotor wash effects masking any inherent instabilities.

At the moment it's the honeymoon period with this little darling, so I'm not too worried by this

Now then, gonna need more batts, only got 4, and some spares
Welcome in the club of "wobbling Bravo owners".
So did you try turning the gyro down but no effect?

You are right, I also tried yesterday to play with various gyro settings (I didn't want anymore to see my Bravo not able to hover steady, my honeymoon period is over ).

This is my experience:
I started with -10 steps, no difference
other -10 steps, no difference, but more pyro rate
I then tried to disable the gyro completely to find the minimum setting to hold the tail steady (I pressed continuosly T3 down) and finally I applied +5 steps that is the actual value that I left.

Now I have a very responsive tail with high pyros rate, but the wobbling resonance in hovering is still there .

At the moment I am satisfied with the speed performance, but i am disappointed to discover that I still need a cure for my problem (I was confident that the gyro settings could be a solution).

Greetings
helicopcat is offline Find More Posts by helicopcat
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 04:55 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
SoloProFan's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopcat View Post
Welcome in the club of "wobbling Bravo owners".
So did you try turning the gyro down but no effect?

You are right, I also tried yesterday to play with various gyro settings (I didn't want anymore to see my Bravo not able to hover steady, my honeymoon period is over ).

This is my experience:
I started with -10 steps, no difference
other -10 steps, no difference, but more pyro rate
I then tried to disable the gyro completely to find the minimum setting to hold the tail steady (I pressed continuosly T3 down) and finally I applied +5 steps that is the actual value that I left.

Now I have a very responsive tail with high pyros rate, but the wobbling resonance in hovering is still there .

At the moment I am satisfied with the speed performance, but i am disappointed to discover that I still need a cure for my problem (I was confident that the gyro settings could be a solution).

Greetings
I was hoping the gyro adjust could fix or camouflage the problem, but that seems to be ineffective. Perhaps a different tail rotor or reducing the angle of the blades by twisting them might help? Otherwise, I'm afraid only a new receiver will fix it. You might want to contact your seller.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 04:30 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2011
5 Posts
Subtrim

Thanks guys for the info.

I went into the sub-trim mode and it's now a lot better. I hovers well, only slight varying movements, probable expected flying indoors. However the tail now appears to move slow in one direction.

Oh, manage to land without it tipping over. Bit of a fluke I think.

Thanks
Grosvenor is offline Find More Posts by Grosvenor
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 05:54 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
SoloProFan's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Thanks guys for the info.

I went into the sub-trim mode and it's now a lot better. I hovers well, only slight varying movements, probable expected flying indoors. However the tail now appears to move slow in one direction.

Oh, manage to land without it tipping over. Bit of a fluke I think.

Thanks
In smaller areas some turbulence can be expected, caused mostly by the air that is pushed away by the main blades.

And I am convinced you'll have more "fluke" landings.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 05:27 PM
staff tecnico-prismalia-techn
marconos's Avatar
Italy, Campania, Naples
Joined Apr 2010
219 Posts
there is a specific point in the sub trim (gyro) where you can find compromise, if you can hit the point, the model has less vibration, showing a tendency to turn clockwise,
but after a week of testing I can confirm it too,
that the problem diminishes, making the model acceptable.
now begin work to make presentable the many models in service, providing our clients with a presentation template............
marconos is offline Find More Posts by marconos
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 05:32 PM
staff tecnico-prismalia-techn
marconos's Avatar
Italy, Campania, Naples
Joined Apr 2010
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
I was hoping the gyro adjust could fix or camouflage the problem, but that seems to be ineffective. Perhaps a different tail rotor or reducing the angle of the blades by twisting them might help? Otherwise, I'm afraid only a new receiver will fix it. You might want to contact your seller.
and even this is exceeded
..................
marconos is offline Find More Posts by marconos
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 05:37 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
SoloProFan's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marconos View Post
there is a specific point in the sub trim (gyro) where you can find compromise, if you can hit the point, the model has less vibration, showing a tendency to turn clockwise,
but after a week of testing I can confirm it too,
that the problem diminishes, making the model acceptable.
now begin work to make presentable the many models in service, providing our clients with a presentation template............
You mean the wobble fades after a number of flights? Like things are wearing in in the head or so?


Quote:
Originally Posted by marconos View Post
and even this is exceeded
..................
???
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools