HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2011, 03:50 AM
Vienna calling...
Österreich, Wien
Joined Aug 2010
1,407 Posts
Well, we will see.
I also thought, the Solo Pro main motor will not have enough power for the Bravo SX tail motor - but this was no issue, workes fine, dont know, why.
Hope to check it in the evening - unmounting the Bravo SX main motor from my MIA Bravo SX is easy (as easy as unmounting a Solo Pro motor).

Walter
Donaldsneffe is offline Find More Posts by Donaldsneffe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2011, 04:37 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaldsneffe View Post
Well, we will see.
I also thought, the Solo Pro main motor will not have enough power for the Bravo SX tail motor - but this was no issue, workes fine, dont know, why.
Hope to check it in the evening - unmounting the Bravo SX main motor from my MIA Bravo SX is easy (as easy as unmounting a Solo Pro motor).

Walter
You're right, al that matters is how it flies. We'll know soon enough, I think.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:37 AM
Plano, TX
Joined Feb 2007
310 Posts
My Bravo from MRC will be here tomorrow. From order time to delivery - 4 days. Cant beat that.
bbking9 is offline Find More Posts by bbking9
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:20 AM
Vienna calling...
Österreich, Wien
Joined Aug 2010
1,407 Posts
So,
mounted a Bravo SX motor in a Solo Pro (plastic head, plastic swash).

It flies very well, no problem with the tail rotor. Did not have to trim at all.

The heli is really more aggressive than with the standard motor, have to take care when giving full forward speed. Need less than 50% throttle in the beginning, most of the flight time about 50%.
But flight time with a HK replacement 120 mAh was only 6:05 min. Flew two batteries, took time only with one (normal indoor flight).
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:39 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,694 Posts
Quote:
So,
mounted a Bravo SX motor in a Solo Pro (plastic head, plastic swash).

It flies very well, no problem with the tail rotor. Did not have to trim at all.

The heli is really more aggressive than with the standard motor, have to take care when giving full forward speed. Need less than 50% throttle in the beginning, most of the flight time about 50%.
But flight time with a HK replacement 120 mAh was only 6:05 min. Flew two batteries, took time only with one (normal indoor flight).
So the tail holds steady when suddenly giving a throttle punch?

6 minutes is till the heli comes down?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2011, 01:58 PM
Vienna calling...
Österreich, Wien
Joined Aug 2010
1,407 Posts
Tested two more batteries (HK 120).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
So the tail holds steady when suddenly giving a throttle punch?
Absolutely, no problem at all. Giving full throttle punch does not make the tail move to left or right - but you have to take care not kissing the ceiling when giving full throttle punch (I would like to kiss the ceiling with a Solo Pro - but with the skids, flying backwards ). The Solo Pro is really more aggressive and more jumpy with the Bravo SX motor.

Quote:
6 minutes is till the heli comes down?
Yes, checked a second 120 mAh HK now - 6:03 min... so same result.

Walter
Old Jan 05, 2011, 03:51 PM
Vienna calling...
Österreich, Wien
Joined Aug 2010
1,407 Posts
NE Solo Pro with Bravo SX main motor, Extrem metal swashplate and HK 160 mAh battery:
flighttime only 6:02 min. Flight weight: 30.06 g.
Thought, it should be more flight time...

But the heli responds much faster to throttle input than with normal motor and has more power. It is a real "race Solo Pro".

But I recognized a disadvantage:
No problem with the tail in hovering or flying straight ahead, but the Solo Pro with SX main motor and Solo Pro tail motor has problems in right turns.

Flew for comparative purposes 2 batteries with a stock Solo Pro (with quite new tail):
No problem making piruettes to the left and the right. But less power.

It is not possible to make piruettes with the SX motor - and even hard right turns are difficult (giving a little backwards input while turning - as I do it in the CB100 - and slow, hard turns are possible).

Anyway: SX motor for Solo Pro is very funny for fast, powerful (maybe outdoor) flying. It is ok indoors, too - but with the disadvantage of the bad right turns.
The SX tail is not good in the Solo Pro, the SX main motor very good for power flight.

Walter
Old Jan 05, 2011, 03:59 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,694 Posts
Quote:
NE Solo Pro with Bravo SX main motor, Extrem metal swashplate and HK 160 mAh battery:
flighttime only 6:02 min. Flight weight: 30.06 g.
Thought, it should be more flight time...

But the heli responds much faster to throttle input than with normal motor and has more power. It is a real "race Solo Pro".

But I recognized a disadvantage:
No problem with the tail in hovering or flying straight ahead, but the Solo Pro with SX main motor and Solo Pro tail motor has problems in right turns.

Flew for comparative purposes 2 batteries with a stock Solo Pro (with quite new tail):
No problem making piruettes to the left and the right. But less power.

It is not possible to make piruettes with the SX motor - and even hard right turns are difficult (giving a little backwards input while turning - as I do it in the CB100 - and slow, hard turns are possible).

Anyway: SX motor for Solo Pro is very funny for fast, powerful (maybe outdoor) flying. It is ok indoors, too - but with the disadvantage of the bad right turns.
The SX tail is not good in the Solo Pro, the SX main motor very good for power flight.

Walter
Those flight times are indeed disappointing. The Bravo SX is 3g heavier, yet flies around 5:30 minutes, only 30 seconds shorter.

How about a Bravo SX tail motor, but mounted on the Solo Pro tail boom? Or perhaps easier to make, SX tail motor set, but the tail boom cut so it is the length of a stock Solo Pro tail set?

And what if you would tone down the gyro, like Serum has done? It does improve piro, might be what the Solo Pro with Bravo SX main motor needs to get some more control over the turns.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2011, 04:18 PM
Joined Dec 2010
14 Posts
Very nice experiment Donald!

I was going to try this myself once the parts arrived, but you saved me the trouble.

I would like to know the same - SX tail motor in the Pro tail boom. I think it would be a hassle though because that would entail soldering...but it would be cool to find out.
Newtybar is offline Find More Posts by Newtybar
Old Jan 05, 2011, 05:50 PM
Vienna calling...
Österreich, Wien
Joined Aug 2010
1,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
How about a Bravo SX tail motor, but mounted on the Solo Pro tail boom? Or perhaps easier to make, SX tail motor set, but the tail boom cut so it is the length of a stock Solo Pro tail set?
Hey HeliHolland,
Now it is on you - why should I always crack my helis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyWhoCallsMeDonald View Post
I think it would be a hassle though because that would entail soldering...but it would be cool to find out.
Well, there are only few days heli flying without necessary soldering - so this should be a minor problem

Walter
Old Jan 05, 2011, 06:08 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Now to try that SX motor in a mSR with the appropriate pinion or main gear!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Jan 05, 2011, 06:28 PM
Joined Dec 2010
77 Posts
This SX is top of the list as my next heli. Thanks for all the great info here.

Are there any other Tx options for the Nine Eagles then the stock RTF version or the Nine Eagles "large" Tx? I find the RTF Tx looks a little too toy like, although not nearly as bad as the mSR Tx.
Ottawa919 is offline Find More Posts by Ottawa919
Old Jan 05, 2011, 06:56 PM
Vienna calling...
Österreich, Wien
Joined Aug 2010
1,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa919 View Post
This SX is top of the list as my next heli. Thanks for all the great info here.

Are there any other Tx options for the Nine Eagles then the stock RTF version or the Nine Eagles "large" Tx? I find the RTF Tx looks a little too toy like, although not nearly as bad as the mSR Tx.
Unfortunately probably not.
I do not know, if the "bigger" NE TX from NE Kestrel and Free Spirit ( http://www.rbh-helishop.de/images/pr...ages/740_0.jpg ) binds with the Bravo/Solo etc... Free Spirit is also sold with the "small" TX, so maybe it could work, maybe not - because the NE helicopter tx (Solo, Draco, Twingo, Solo Pro, Bravo III, Bravo SX) does not even bind with the NE plane rx, which looks exactly the same, and vice versa (I tried it for myself).

I hate this, too...
But not, because the TX is bad to handle. BTW: I like the Eflite "toy" TX even more than the NE "toy" TX (do not have a MSR, but a MCXS300 Schweizer).
I hate it, because this "toy" TX does not have a model memory. So there are two possibilities: Using a single tx for each NE heli, or using one TX and trim each time you change the helicopter. Actually I have 9 Nine Eagles helis which are ready to fly, but I do not want to store 9 NE TX (Dont have 9 - some BNF models).

For flying I would even prefer these "toy" TXs (NE, Eflite) to my Walkera 2801Pro - they are much lighter, so do not get tired when flying many, many batteries (of course this is more or less a joke - but without all those necessary settings for a rc heli, such a small and light TX would really be preferable).

I would like to have a TX like the 2801Pro or DXwhatever, which I can use for all my NE helis.

Can you hear me, Nine Eagles?

Walter
Old Jan 05, 2011, 07:48 PM
Joined Dec 2010
77 Posts
Quote:
I do not know, if the "bigger" NE TX from NE Kestrel and Free Spirit ( http://www.rbh-helishop.de/images/pr...ages/740_0.jpg ) binds with the Bravo/Solo etc... Free Spirit is also sold with the "small" TX, so maybe it could work, maybe not - because the NE helicopter tx (Solo, Draco, Twingo, Solo Pro, Bravo III, Bravo SX)
According to Club Heli it will bind:

http://www.clubheli.com/Nine-Eagles-...er_p_2524.html
Ottawa919 is offline Find More Posts by Ottawa919
Old Jan 06, 2011, 12:30 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
Now to try that SX motor in a mSR with the appropriate pinion or main gear!
The P47 version of that motor has a 9T pinion fitted, so it might have the same (little tight but acceptable) fit as the Sukhoi XP motor in the mSR.

Quote:
Hey HeliHolland,
Now it is on you - why should I always crack my helis

Walter
You will crack your helis anyway, with that "almost-slam-into-the-wall-but-try-to-turn-at-the-last-possble-moment" moves you pull off all the time, so you've told.

It's also better for the experiment if it was done on the same heli, you measured flight times, but my flight times for a Bravo SX motor combined with Solo Pro motor might be different to begin with, so comparing results would be difficult. And I don't have a spare Bravo SX motor lying around, and with currently still down to one single airworthy Bravo SX, I am not going to open that one up just for an experiment.
RCG Plus Member