HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2011, 01:07 PM
Joined Mar 2010
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt View Post
Nah, this is RCgroups so we build first and plan more throughly later

There are at least two other builds here that are closer to the original panther design than mine is. Those builds have the tail motor much farther out than mine is and appear to work well so I think we have basically determined that it's doable for us. Also vtolman did it with no tail motor six years ago so I should be able to get something going
"2" builds like panther? can you lead me to them?
ferdous7466 is offline Find More Posts by ferdous7466
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2011, 05:51 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,809 Posts
Actually, I meant you would have to move the CG forward in order to maintain pitch stability. Actually, assuming the front rotors will be in front of the CG, you could just add a couple of small vanes beneath them, and use these to control pitch in forward flight. It will tend to pitch up a lot through conversion, though
Brandano is offline Find More Posts by Brandano
Old Sep 08, 2011, 07:27 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdous7466 View Post
"2" builds like panther? can you lead me to them?
leadfeathers F-35 and eddieWeeks build in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandano View Post
Actually, I meant you would have to move the CG forward in order to maintain pitch stability. Actually, assuming the front rotors will be in front of the CG, you could just add a couple of small vanes beneath them, and use these to control pitch in forward flight. It will tend to pitch up a lot through conversion, though
I'll consider that, thanks. I still need to add gyro control for forward flight also so that will probably take care of any bad pitching tendencies if I go this route.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Sep 09, 2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:47 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,149 Posts
I am officially announcing my retirement from the VTOL scene. This is no hobby, it's a curse.

My plane wouldn't fly at all today when attempting forward flight, even with the new larger ailevators in the back. Straight up and straight down basically. Did that twice on me today so it's third and final fight was a nice good chuck into a nearby garbage can.

That's it, I've had it, I am done with this nonsense for good.........until the FunJet parts I just ordered arrive.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Sep 13, 2011 at 12:59 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 05:28 AM
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Jan 2003
3,118 Posts
Quote:
until the FunJet parts I just ordered arrive.
ya had me going there until that last statement

v22chap is offline Find More Posts by v22chap
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:18 AM
Joined Mar 2010
454 Posts
this is my draft of solving the changing CG during transition. Now as counter is placed on the oppostie side of the motor in the necelle the tilt does not cause CG to change its location. I may be wrong.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 08:54 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v22chap View Post
ya had me going there until that last statement

I had to think about it for a second before making the purchase.

Quote:
this is my draft of solving the changing CG during transition. Now as counter is placed on the oppostie side of the motor in the necelle the tilt does not cause CG to change its location. I may be wrong.
I think your are right. We don't want to add weight though so putting the motor bell as close to the tilt axis as possible or better yet having the bell on one side of the tilt axis and the prop on the other might be a good enough trade off.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:31 PM
Joined Mar 2010
454 Posts
It was just an idea. I want to keep the look cool too! so thought of adding necelle. However as it became a pusher now the rotor has to tilt down for hover.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 03:52 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,809 Posts
You could put battery pack or the tilt servo in the nacelle to act as a counterweight. however, either solution will mean a much higher servo load on what is already a pretty stressful situation for a servo.
Brandano is offline Find More Posts by Brandano
Old Sep 22, 2011, 08:32 AM
Joined Mar 2010
454 Posts
Well I had this thought. If we have the motors ahead of the CG(The way they were used in Panther MIni). Then the tilting of motor would not change to location og CG(Aparently as no wt is tranferred to the other side of CG). Am I wrong?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:36 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,149 Posts
Quote:
Well I had this thought. If we have the motors ahead of the CG...
Sounds correct to me. The CG will still change slightly since my motor cans are not centered on the tilt axis, like the panthers are, but the aircraft will remain nose heavy if they are placed far enough ahead of the CG.

Here are the planned changes for making a Multiplex Funner Jet. My motors aren't as far forward as they are on the Panther but I'm hoping to save some weight this way and also hoping pitch doesn't suffer to much.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Sep 22, 2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 02:36 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,149 Posts
FunJet parts haven't arrived yet so I built this in the mean time.

Getting closer. Handles good in forward flight.

Forward flight test of swept forward VTOL airframe .AVI (0 min 46 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Nov 25, 2011 at 06:11 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 04:50 PM
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Jan 2003
3,118 Posts
Hey .. congratulations on a good forward flight ... now get that tail unit on and make it hover
It is one of those designs that is strange but cute !!!!
v22chap is offline Find More Posts by v22chap
Old Oct 05, 2011, 05:40 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,649 Posts
Congratulations! This design reminds me of a Klingon ship; cool!
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Oct 05, 2011, 11:20 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,149 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm surprised how this foam stuff will fly with the right amount of tweaking.

Big thanks to the people at the Sepulveda basin flying field who helped me tweak this bird in getting it to fly well.

Guess I shouldn't have thrown out that black FunJet thing I had. Found out it takes a few more flights than just two tosses in the air to determine if it's a lost cause or not.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 05, 2011 at 11:36 PM.