SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:04 AM
Baton Rouge, LA, USA
Joined Dec 2001
951 Posts
no build log.... Its just a strong / heavy trainer... good thing to after what I put it through.
The tail was broken off many times during testing... LOL
No video yet of transitions... coming soon
This plane is 8-10 lbs ready to fly... My next on will be around 5-6 lbs based on a POS trainer called a Seriorita

http://www.nitroplanes.com/90a268.html

much lighter but should still carry the 2 x 5000 4S packs and a camera, no problem.

Can't decide if I am going to use landing gear or not..

Only Gyros used on the ArduPilot

Eddie

note: two things I learned

1. Futaba Fast 2.4 radio works better with the ArduPilot Mega than 433 mhz TLRS... don't know why
2. Its important to let the electric motors spin up with small props as opposed to Big props at low RPMs..
response time is faster this way..not much but it helps
I used 12x3.8 SF on 4S... little better control than 13x 6.5 each comes as a pusher prop
EddieWeeks is online now Find More Posts by EddieWeeks
Last edited by EddieWeeks; Mar 23, 2011 at 10:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2011, 05:17 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieWeeks View Post
...My next on will be around 5-6 lbs based on a POS trainer called a Seriorita
That should be a good platform.

Nitroplanes also has a nice predator model which is mostly all wing. Not as much room in it as the Seniorita though. It clocked in at 1800 grams with a 4000mah 3cell before I put the flight controller in it which I thought was too heavy so I switched to the flying wing stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Nice work Gents! Added to the Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index...
Cool, thanks.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Mar 23, 2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:12 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
That is very nice. I really need to come up with a method for making wings.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:37 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie View Post
That is very nice. I really need to come up with a method for making wings.
Thanks. I try to find wings that are already made and modify them slightly if needed. Hovering and figuring out how to transition is hard enough for me.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Mar 24, 2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 07:44 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
Yeap, I believe you have the right idea.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 07:32 PM
Baton Rouge, LA, USA
Joined Dec 2001
951 Posts
I can make any wing I want... from carbon molded to glass vacuum bag to foam ribs.. ect...

I prefer to buy a plane for $70 ... built up all ready covered.. I mean DANG...

Eddie Weeks
EddieWeeks is online now Find More Posts by EddieWeeks
Old Apr 07, 2011, 05:20 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieWeeks View Post
I prefer to buy a plane for $70 ... built up all ready covered.. I mean DANG...
Difficult to beat that. I'm starting to like all the custom depron builds around as well for cheap, strong, and easy to build/repair.

Started to really test fly my tricopter set up. I'm noticing that even with the rear motor throttle left active the entire time from hover to 45 degrees tilt that the airframe wants to pitch up a lot. I thought it would do just the opposite since the front motors are directing less and less thrust down as they rotate forward.

I think I'm having the same problems as an osprey/bicopter with the airframe rotating around the front props. With the gyros disabled it immediately flips backwards onto it's back. With the gyros enabled I still have to hold a bit of down elevator to keep the nose from going up.

If you don't have the same issue I'm wondering if it's because my build weighs 621 grams and swings 9 inch props which are relatively big?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Apr 07, 2011 at 05:41 AM.
Old Apr 07, 2011, 05:43 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,107 Posts
Looks like gyroscopic precession forces are equal on the front props as they tilt forward even though they both spin CCW. Does this sound right?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Apr 09, 2011, 07:52 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,107 Posts
No one has any ideas on why my tri is pitching up violently when I tilt the motors down from hover to 45 degrees

The hover was never very stable so I've torn out all the old AeroQuad stuff and started to port the code over to the MultiWii. Hope that makes a big difference.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Apr 09, 2011, 07:58 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
RCvertt, there is something about me, I have to see a video or at least a picture. Sorry.
Old Apr 09, 2011, 11:19 AM
United States, IL, Park Ridge
Joined Apr 2010
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt View Post
No one has any ideas on why my tri is pitching up violently when I tilt the motors down from hover to 45 degrees

The hover was never very stable so I've torn out all the old AeroQuad stuff and started to port the code over to the MultiWii. Hope that makes a big difference.
Hi !
If You tilft bottom mounted motors - center of lift (center of prop.) move forward of CG but if You have Tri rear motor should compensate.
I have this problem on my Bi.
Second: gyroscopic force of rotating props. keep them from moving - changing plane - so fuselage is moving oposite way.
Tom
Tifani is offline Find More Posts by Tifani
Last edited by Tifani; Apr 09, 2011 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Forget
Old Apr 09, 2011, 05:28 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie View Post
RCvertt, there is something about me, I have to see a video or at least a picture. Sorry.
Your right. I always ask for vid and then I go and take none of my own, D'oh Already took out the AQ stuff so I'll film it once the MW stuff is up and running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifani View Post
Hi !
If You tilt bottom mounted motors - center of lift (center of prop.) move forward of CG but if You have Tri rear motor should compensate.
I have this problem on my Bi.
Second: gyroscopic force of rotating props. keep them from moving - changing plane - so fuselage is moving oposite way.
Tom
I agree. The rear motor did help once I keep the pitch gyro active on it during the transition but it still took a lot of forward elevator to keep the nose level. I'll check the CG again. Looks like I might be tail heavy by an inch. Also not sure how cutting out the huge circle in the back of the fuselage affected the CG?

Didn't think about the center of lift, thanks. I think your right about the fuselage rotating backwards due to gyroscopic stuff which doesn't help.

So I'll get the MultiWii stuff running, check the CG again and pray that it works If the tricopter is still unstable in a hover, the only thing I can think of doing to this particular build is move the rear motor back by almost a full prop length. The current cg location is just two inches in front of the back of the fuselage which makes the rear prop less effective. All that wing area back there probably makes it less effective also.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Apr 09, 2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 06:15 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,770 Posts
Careful there. the fact that the props are forward or back of the CG does not have an effect if the tilting point is through the thrust axis, it's the same sort of mistake that people makes when they think that "hanging from the prop" should be more stable than "standing on the prop", or that dihedral works because one wing has a bigger span than the other if the plane is rolled. It's not so, and it has been discussed ad nauseam. What could make a difference is the side area of the prop, or any effects on translational lift on the prop disk.
Brandano is offline Find More Posts by Brandano
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:50 AM
Joined Apr 2010
211 Posts
Hi!
@RCvert
I'm in progres of making "Panther UAV" plus Bicopter & new foldable Tricopter.(looks like to much)
All with 401 gyros. Looks like exept Tri dedicated controler is necessary.
You can watch videos @ http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1413924
You wrote than Your Tri is not very stable - I will try to mak it solid hover first.
Regards
Tom
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:55 AM
Joined Apr 2010
211 Posts
Hi Brandano !
Just my 2 cents
"Hanging" brumstick will newer fall oposite to "Standing" brumstick.
Regards
Tom