Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:44 AM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
468 Posts
Nice thread! I came across the mini panther vid a couple of weeks ago... Just found this thread this morning, really excited that others have taken up the challenge!

I'd like to build one of these, and am wondering what you guys think about these airframe choices... these are frames I have already and think would make good choices,,,

1800mm Icon A5, for Amphibious VTOL ... or,
60" blunt nosed EPP Delta Wing... or
52" OV-10 Bronco.

As for the tri copter, i was hoping to use another ARF, and adapt the tilt rotors for all three motor mounts ...

Y-3 fiberglass:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store
/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=28389)

Y3 Scorpion:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ame_650mm.html

Am I way off, or getting close?

As far as the control system goes, i am thinking that a dual Rx, on wireless buddy box switch, with programed transitions using ersky board to execute the change from hover to forward flight...

Multi rotor controller on one Rx (likely KK or rabbit)
and fixed wing system on the other Rx (likely FY-31AP)

I am still reading tru the previous posts and getting up to speed... looks like you guys have it pretty much worked out... any comments are much appreciated
simplyfly is offline Find More Posts by simplyfly
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:38 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,403 Posts
simplyfly,

Here are my thoughts:

1) A Stryker is a nice tough wing with a good configuration to merge with a tricopter. They fly well and the cg is well known. Not to heavy, minimal building and available cheap...about $25 for the bare airframe at a local hobby store.

2) Wii flight control board. For hovering and fast hovering (motors tilted up to about 45 degrees forward) no special code required. You can run the elevon servos directly from the Rx if you choose.

3) You may be able to achieve forward flight on the wing with no special programming too.

Have a look at the videos below:

1) Stryker strapped to the back of a T copter for VTOL

Flying Monkey Mod, Success! (2 min 26 sec)

2) Stryker/T-copter hybrid

Hover Jet, Stryker VTOL, test flight (3 min 53 sec)

3) VTOL Jet no control surfaces or special programming.

Jump Jet, no control surfaces, R&D test #2 (2 min 23 sec)
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:15 AM
go ahead and try
Canada, ON, Maynooth
Joined Nov 2011
468 Posts
Nice!
simplyfly is offline Find More Posts by simplyfly
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:24 AM
Design, Build, and Fly
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Joined Nov 2001
372 Posts
Hey Simplyfly!

My thoughts: Using two receivers for two different modes is somewhat unnecessary, and over-complex actually. Using the MultiWii flight controller to drive the wing elevon servos and do all the switching over for forward flight is much easier. It requires a bit of coding, which can be tough, but the rewards are worth it.

leadfeather: Oh Yeah! I'd seen your videos before and couldn't remember who posted them. Thanks for reposting those here, your VTOL Stryker inspired me! Earlier this summer, I decided to do my own scratch build with the rear motor tilting instead of the front two: It worked great, but is just to fragile of a mechanism, hence why I've moved on to designing a dual/bicopter type machine like your Stryker / IAI Panther. (That, and other reasons...)

Tricopter Hybrid Forward Flight Demo (1 min 37 sec)

-Steve
KatanaGuy is offline Find More Posts by KatanaGuy
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:37 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,075 Posts
-simplyfly
If you are good at flying you might be able to get away without changing the code.

I'm not a great pilot so changing the code was the only way that helped me fly my VTOL quadcopter. Without changes to the code, it was unflyable for me. With the code changes it was a piece of cake to fly.

As for motor selection and such it's rather simple. Buy a motor, prop and scale first and do some thrust tests. That will tell you how light your plane needs to be and what equipment you need to meet that weight goal.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:38 AM
Design, Build, and Fly
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Joined Nov 2001
372 Posts
Sneek Peak of the Orange Hawk (1 min 0 sec)
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:01 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,075 Posts
Looking good Katana Guy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:03 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,075 Posts
Had my first full transitions today

TriSweptForward 1 (1 min 59 sec)

Almost scavenged it for parts a few times before I decided to give it another try. I'm glad it survived the scrap yard.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:59 PM
Design, Build, and Fly
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Joined Nov 2001
372 Posts
Way to go! Looks great! Seem to be fairly stable in pitch; how hard was it to tune?

-Steve
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:24 AM
vtol fan
Joined Jul 2009
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt View Post
Had my first full transitions today

http://youtu.be/ql80-o-nALM

Almost scavenged it for parts a few times before I decided to give it another try. I'm glad it survived the scrap yard.
What a beautty......
nadine is offline Find More Posts by nadine
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:37 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,075 Posts
Another video from today...
TriSweptForward 2 (2 min 19 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaGuy View Post
Way to go! Looks great! Seem to be fairly stable in pitch; how hard was it to tune?...
Thanks. It was much easier this second time around since I learned how to use the "Stable" mode when doing my recent V22-Osprino build. Unlike the quad plane I built that uses gyros only, this one needs the accel on as well in order to achieve a stable hover in pitch. 45 degree mode is always the most difficult for me to tune since it's a mixture of hover and forward flight controls but I've also found it to be the most important mode to get working well so that you can slow the plane down before transitioning to a hover. Since I get a hover mode and forward flight mode working first, it's just a matter of mixing the two control methods until it stops crashing I think I've been working on this one for about two weeks lately to get it to this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadine View Post
What a beautty......
Thanks. It floats which is good enough for me

----------------
My recommendations for getting a VTOL working are to first get each of the three modes working on their own. First get a conventional takeoff and landing working to find a CG that gives good flight performance. Then get a stable hover working around that CG which usually just means trimming the motor commands in pitch until it hovers level. Then mix the controls for 45 degree mode which usually means weaker hover controls along with full forward flight controls.

Either a cordless glue gun or a car inverter is also essential to take to the flying field. Got my inverter for 10$ from Fry's. With two batteries I can easily crash several times and glue it back together at the field which lets me get more testing done.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Feb 12, 2013 at 02:04 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:51 AM
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Jan 2003
3,098 Posts
Way to go ... looking really cool !!!!
v22chap is offline Find More Posts by v22chap
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:12 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,403 Posts
Congratulations! That is awesome man...persistence pays off.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:01 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,842 Posts
very cool!
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:32 AM
Austria
Joined Oct 2007
281 Posts