SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 09, 2011, 10:57 PM
Joined Mar 2010
454 Posts
Hello i just came by another idea. As you have built one quad vtol kite why dont you make it a BI quad. in that case you may use differntial rpm for yaw and roll. and only one servo to control forward and rearward flt tilting both rotor mounts fwd-rear. what do you say? exactly like avatar scorpion heli....
ferdous7466 is offline Find More Posts by ferdous7466
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2011, 02:47 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdous7466 View Post
Hello i just came by another idea. As you have built one quad vtol kite why dont you make it a BI quad. in that case you may use differntial rpm for yaw and roll. and only one servo to control forward and rearward flt tilting both rotor mounts fwd-rear. what do you say? exactly like avatar scorpion heli....
Maybe after I finish the quad and tri. I haven't built a quad yet, only helped build one so far with code that was two years old. Still want to fly one myself and the one I'm working on has more advanced code.

Just spent two days on a yaw gyro problem only to find out that the OSEPP ProMini boards I've been using recently from Fyr's electronics are no good At least we can start moving forward again now.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Dec 10, 2011, 09:12 PM
Joined Mar 2010
454 Posts
Well I tried a tri copter with open pilot's copter control board that I was sent free of cost. But I could not get over the erratic yaw problem. Though I do not have counter rotating props even though I followed each and every step that I was told to follow. However given up on that board, I am currently trying to understand more about tilt rotor planes. It did occur to me, that through complex programming in the tx it may be possible to achieve what we are trying to do with tilt rotors. I have one tgy 9x radio and I asked for programming help in the other thread regarding my plan but none seemed much keen to sneak into that :P.
ferdous7466 is offline Find More Posts by ferdous7466
Old Dec 11, 2011, 02:20 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,247 Posts
Quote:
Well I tried a tri copter with open pilot's copter control board that I was sent free of cost. But I could not get over the erratic yaw problem. Though I do not have counter rotating props even though I followed each and every step that I was told to follow. However given up on that board, I am currently trying to understand more about tilt rotor planes. It did occur to me, that through complex programming in the tx it may be possible to achieve what we are trying to do with tilt rotors. I have one tgy 9x radio and I asked for programming help in the other thread regarding my plan but none seemed much keen to sneak into that :P.
Sorry to hear of the OP board problem. That's what is so great about the arduino stuff, the code is much easier to read than OP or other boards if you're not a hard core programmer.

Missed your thread but TX programming can achieve what I would consider very basic VTOL control. I've seen it done with just simple Vtail mixers also. If you want to go beyond the limitations of TX and Vtail mixers and make transitions much more seamless to the pilot, you have to dig into the code a little bit. This code is starting to filter into other projects so I'm hoping to see features that haven't been done yet such as VTOL GUI controls.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:11 AM
Joined Feb 2005
473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt View Post
This code is starting to filter into other projects so I'm hoping to see features that haven't been done yet such as VTOL GUI controls.
Now that would be the icing on the cake!
cass3825 is offline Find More Posts by cass3825
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:46 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cass3825 View Post
Now that would be the icing on the cake!
I'm hoping you can help in a big way with this. I have too many projects in mind to spend time on a GUI. MultiWii is already starting to go the way of AeroQuad in becoming more difficult for me to read.

I've been inspired by the recent manned quad copter flight so by the time I'm done with my first manned MultiWii powered VTOL airplane, the code will probably be unreadable for me.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:49 AM
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Jan 2003
3,135 Posts
RCvertt
Atleast you know what a GUI is .... I had to google it .... and if they could do that I might even be able to do some coding on my Wii board
v22chap is offline Find More Posts by v22chap
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:01 PM
Joined Feb 2005
473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt View Post
... by the time I'm done with my first manned MultiWii powered VTOL airplane...
cass3825 is offline Find More Posts by cass3825
Old Dec 12, 2011, 01:41 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v22chap View Post
RCvertt
Atleast you know what a GUI is .... I had to google it .... and if they could do that I might even be able to do some coding on my Wii board
True. Playing with code is still a necessary evil for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cass3825 View Post
Not sure which is scarier, building a home built Osprwii or it costing less than a new car.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:34 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieWeeks View Post
Flight test start with new airframe... Arduino hardware gave me fits because it can read 8 channels, but then it does not output more than one channel.. very strange... Did a workaround with just 7ch...

This tri-copter uses the two 700 watt motors for yaw control and the 200 watt motor in the back is fixed.. The large motors are not using 700 watts with the 12x3.8 props.

Did a bit of hovering but needs more gain on all axis.

Eddie Weeks
www.jetlens.com
Hello Eddie,

Could you give me the list of items (motors, esc etc..) you used for your project... I am planning to build one

Will appreciate your help
tandcop is offline Find More Posts by tandcop
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:51 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,247 Posts
Quote:
No news...
A wii bit of progress on my side. Got my first 45degree to forward flight in.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:02 PM
Baton Rouge, LA, USA
Joined Dec 2001
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandcop View Post
Hello Eddie,

Could you give me the list of items (motors, esc etc..) you used for your project... I am planning to build one

Will appreciate your help
If you really need my exact motors I can get them... But I don't think that is important..

What you need is to know what is important..

1: The tricopter and the airplane must balance for the airplane...
This means it must balance 25-35% MAC (mean aerodynamic cord) or about 28% cord on the wing.

2: you have to be able to change the throttle cure on the ch3 (tail motor) without
changing the main motors ch1 and ch6

3: you have to have remote gain to when you flip the switch to forward flight
the gain goes to zero on the computer. ..
EddieWeeks is online now Find More Posts by EddieWeeks
Last edited by EddieWeeks; Feb 27, 2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:39 AM
Design, Build, and Fly
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Joined Nov 2001
382 Posts
Current Design, more coming soon.....

Been working on this for a few weeks:
KatanaGuy is offline Find More Posts by KatanaGuy
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:27 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaGuy View Post
Been working on this for a few weeks:
Looks good. Might want to space out the motors a little more, especially the rear one. Mine were too close to the CG, especially the rear one which is why my pitch control was bad.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:09 AM
Design, Build, and Fly
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Joined Nov 2001
382 Posts
Yeah, I'm aware of the potential pitch issues, it will be interesting to see if throwing some extra code at the problem will correct any issues, sort of like how most fighter jets have software correct all the odd aerodynamic modes. Quite the opposite: I'm trying to get the CG most closer to the rear motor, thus allowing for two higher-pitch-speed props in the front. That way, the forward-flight motors will be well matched to the airframes best cruise speed.
KatanaGuy is offline Find More Posts by KatanaGuy