HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2010, 11:16 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,144 Posts
Discussion
Mini-Panther Tilt motor tricopter

StratPost.com: The new Panther tilt rotor UAV from Israel Aerospace Industries. (2 min 56 sec)

Looks like a cross between the Vertigo and a tricopter. I'd like to build one some day.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Nov 25, 2011 at 06:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2010, 07:00 AM
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Jan 2003
3,118 Posts
Looks pretty simple and cool ... good luck on your design
v22chap is offline Find More Posts by v22chap
Old Oct 07, 2010, 09:59 AM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt View Post
It can hover for two hours Must run on nuclear lipos or something.
Nah, it can fly for two hours.

Notice how the rear motor rotates left-right for yaw control while in hover. I would assume that throttle of the rear motor is for pitch while in hover, and differential thrust of the two front motors for roll while in hover.

Once transitioned to horizontal flight, the rear motor turns off, which tells me that it has some onboard flight control electronics. The way it was bouncing around in hover, it also tells me that that prototype at least had no gyros for stability.

With your design, you could pivot all three motors for forward flight if you wished. But, with your design the stopped rear blade would be shrouded by the wing, thus inducing less drag. Either way, yours appears to be a superior layout.
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
Old Oct 07, 2010, 10:14 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v22chap View Post
Looks pretty simple and cool ... good luck on your design
Thanks. Hope it's not like some of my other designs where looks have been deceiving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-111 John View Post
Nah, it can fly for two hours.

Notice how the rear motor rotates left-right for yaw control while in hover. I would assume that throttle of the rear motor is for pitch while in hover, and differential thrust of the two front motors for roll while in hover.

Once transitioned to horizontal flight, the rear motor turns off, which tells me that it has some onboard flight control electronics. The way it was bouncing around in hover, it also tells me that that prototype at least had no gyros for stability.

With your design, you could pivot all three motors for forward flight if you wished. But, with your design the stopped rear blade would be shrouded by the wing, thus inducing less drag. Either way, yours appears to be a superior layout.
You're right. I checked the panther wiki and it says it can loiter for two hours which means wing assisted flight. Thanks for the kind words about my layout. I'd give you a free kit of the first production run but since the Israelis have a patent on the tilting design it doesn't look like that's going to happen

Your right about the bouncing around part. Some other people noticed that also. It probably has gyros but it has a really long wing that resists the roll motion those front motors are trying to give while hovering. Those front motors are also really close to the fuselage which makes them even less effective for roll. The wing is also behind the front motors which might cause the aircraft to pitch up a little bit while it tries to roll, all of which puts extra work on the gyros.

I tried to address some of those potential issues by having the props a little further away from the fuselage and with the forward swept wing bringing more of the wings surface area in-line with the front props. Also the shrouding of the rear prop as you mentioned, for additional efficiency.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 07, 2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 05:49 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Interesting.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:58 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie View Post
Interesting.
Yah. Your thread was the first place I saw the Israeli design at and my jaw hit the floor. A few cool VTOl birds showing up this year for sure. Can't wait to see how they all turn out.

I' have no idea where the cg on a forward swept wing is yet so that design may change depending on where it is.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Oct 12, 2010, 07:59 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt View Post
I' have no idea where the cg on a forward swept wing is yet so that design may change depending on where it is.
Yes, that Interests me also. I had toyed with the idea of forward swept wings on my first tricopter but never took it to the next level. If you go forward with this design, I will be watching closely.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 08:46 AM
Joined Jan 2003
3,118 Posts
Maybe this thread will help with the forward swept wings ,, RCvert

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=973140&page=2
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:22 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,144 Posts
Quote:
Maybe this thread will help with the forward swept wings ,, RCvert

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=973140&page=2
Thanks. That's a great find.

Quote:
...If you go forward with this design, I will be watching closely.

Almost done with the wings. Forward sweep is new territory enough, but of course I just had to design it so big chunks are taken out of the leading edge.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 12, 2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:32 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,144 Posts
First test of the code I'll be using. Roll P on the PID setting is a little high and I need to check on the gyro smoothing values I have but I'm happy with it's first hover.

TDD (Tri-Dual-Duino) FirstHover (0 min 33 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:39 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Awesome!!!
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:57 PM
Joined Jan 2003
3,118 Posts
Ditto ,,, way to go RCvert ... that looks pretty good right now and with some fine tuning it will be great .... keep going
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:37 PM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Now that's a novel way to make a chuck glider fly!
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
Old Oct 28, 2010, 02:45 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,144 Posts
Any ideas on how I can control pitch when at 45 degrees tilt since I have no traditional elevator, ailerons or rudder surfaces?
I'm thinking of going to about 37 degrees only so it's still more in tricopter mode instead of airplane mode. Either I can just move the front motors up and down a little which I don't think will provide enough control or keep the rear motor spinning and stay with normal tricopter pitch control.

Quote:
Awesome!!!
Thanks

Quote:
Ditto ,,, way to go RCvert ... that looks pretty good right now and with some fine tuning it will be great .... keep going
Thanks. I think the plane and pilot need a little tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-111 John View Post
Now that's a novel way to make a chuck glider fly!
Thanks. It's no panther but it'll have to do.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 28, 2010 at 03:06 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 06:01 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,808 Posts
differential tilt between front and rear motors. Trade some of the forward thrust of the front motors for up thrust. Essentially, mix the tilt of the rear motor with elevator, so that the mix is at 0 in VTOL mode and 100% in forward flight
Brandano is offline Find More Posts by Brandano