HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2011, 05:04 PM
Spain, Community of Madrid, San Sebastián de los Reyes
Joined Jul 2010
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyo View Post
Hi Phobos,
The retracts u have are ones from hobbyking (about 30$), right?
how do you get air into the tank? with a hand pump, if yes, which one?
I did not find any which fitted to the valve.

Deniz
My retracts air pump:

phobos2010 is offline Find More Posts by phobos2010
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2011, 05:18 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2010
46 Posts
Hi All. A few weeks ago i bought and maidened my T-45. I have had many flights with it now and couldn't be happier with it. It has been flying so well that a friend bought one and using the same setup maidened it yesterday. It flew so well that it inspired him to try a low and fast high speed pass for the camera... Resulting in a crash best described as controlled flight into cameraman. Cameraman is OK (slight limp) T-45 might fly again, but will need extensive rebuilding. Enjoy the video. (my wife did!)

Chris's T-45 Maiden and crash.AVI (1 min 51 sec)
herostratus is offline Find More Posts by herostratus
Old Feb 21, 2011, 05:42 PM
Joined Jul 2010
67 Posts
OUCH!! Very low pass...
Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:01 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Haha I'm surprised he managed to get it on film, most people would have just ran for it.

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Feb 22, 2011, 03:45 AM
Joined May 2009
473 Posts
Maiden Flight

Hello guys,

Finally I also made my maiden flight. I am posting a short take off movie below, unfortunately my wife was on the camera and when she lost the plane in the air, she decided to gave up filming...

Before you watch the movie I would like to share a couple of things;

Usually I am flying with glow powered planes and my favorite one is Top-Flight .60 size P-51 Mustang with Saito 125. Also I flew with a couple of electric powered planes such as super sporter, YAK-12 and E-flight mini pulse XT with park 450 motor. Before this T-45 EDF jet, I had a couple of doubts in my mind, that I could fly with EDF or not. Because in many different threads I read, to fly with EDF is not as easy as you are flying with glow powered airplanes or with prop planes...

It was very calm and not snowing day and the weather something like -11, which is good for Moscow. I was in an not used air field which was covered with ice and snow. The video is only for take off, but the flight was perfect. As many of you already knows, my T-45 is around AUW 1.3kg and powered with cyclone turbojet 64 with 4S, additional to this the horizontal stabilizers are in balsa and scale positions (angled and bolt-in).

I made 2 flights with 2200mAh 4S 40C, and both was perfect. The only thing that I noticed even I was thinking that I am going to have a nose heavy plane, instead It was like a tail heavy!! Plane wants to go up and I made down trim all the time. I have several ideas in my mind;

1st; It could be tail heavy, but in before flight checks, it seems like perfectly in CG position (150mm)

2nd; Not properly adjusted thrust cone could be the problem, but I am sure that I centered the cone and the fan/motor inside the cone.

3rd and most probably the reason, is the angled position of horizontal stabilizers. If this was the case, I think I can trim the elevators.

And the sad part; Unfortunately because I am not used to fly with EDF jets, I couldn't arrange the flight time, to be honest, I was flying with my mini pulse XT on 3S 2200mAh 40C something around 10 to 15 min, so in the second flight I run out of battery and try to land in dead stick. Everything was ok even in dead stick until in the final approach. I saw the snow bump, hit the bump and plane bounces and turn upside down. Of course the foam vertical stabilizer broken, but not any other damage.

Conclusion; Maybe this plane is so easy to fly, but if some one who have the doubts as I had, I mean an average r/c flyer which never flew with EDF, don't be afraid what they are saying, go and grab a beginner EDF jet and start to fly...

Question: Should I glue the vertical stabilizer or convert it to balsa one?? Ken, what was the thickness of balsa that you used for yours?? (mine will be in red monokote

Maiden Flight of Hobby King T-45 Goshawk (1 min 8 sec)

Ozgur
ozgur is offline Find More Posts by ozgur
Old Feb 22, 2011, 04:41 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
if you glue it with bison 5 minute epoxy it will be a stronger bond than that solid piece.. guaranteed.
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Feb 22, 2011, 05:46 AM
Joined Jul 2010
67 Posts
Hi Ozgur!, I am glad that finally you could fly despite Moscow winter.

About the time of flight, I was lucky enough to put a buzzer to alert me before run out the battery.

I recommend you do the vertical stabilizer on balsa, as it will be cleaner than if you stick it.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 07:21 AM
Joined Aug 2010
212 Posts
ozgur use wooden toothpicks for support makes huge difference. just stick like 5 of them inside the foam. my elevator snapped off once and some guy at the field recommend it works like a charm much stronger. for elevator I only used 2 tooth picks
2dcurb is offline Find More Posts by 2dcurb
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:46 AM
Joined May 2009
473 Posts
Hey guys, thank you very much for all the valuable tips... I decided to do the both, fixing the existing one by toothpicks and 5 min epoxy and build a new one from balsa. I also will going to check if it could be done as bolt-in version.

Any ideas why this plane wants to go up?? Much heavier 4S battery, cockpit and front retract system are in front of the CG point, main retracts are almost on the CG. I am only using much more heavier power system (cyclone turbojet 64 and plush 60 ESC) and rudder servo system.

Ozgur
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:02 PM
Joined Sep 2007
852 Posts
hi guys, has anyone used dons rc edf units on these? Should i go for a 3 or 5 bladder? Is there any functional benefit to using a metal fan unit? They look more cosmetic to me.

I am planning to run a 4 s in this and would like as much power as possible - any recommendations? Thanks!

My kit is on the way!
learninginverted is offline Find More Posts by learninginverted
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:06 PM
Patras, Greece
Joined May 2007
1,291 Posts
Hi.
Nice thread, with experienced and talented builders!
I just received 2 kits from HC. Verry happy with this model.
I have the Flyfly 90 EDF build with flaps, rudder and retracts and I see that same mods are made to this plane.
I would like to make them too, but I feel that I will end up with a heavy plane and loose the floating sense that will have if left with ought these mods.
Anyway, I will install Cyclone motor and 60A ESC with BEC and I like to ask if you see any benefits using flaps and rudder on this plane.
Thanks for helping
Takis
takiss is offline Find More Posts by takiss
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:30 PM
FLY HARD OR FLY HOME TO MUMMY
Joined Jan 2011
195 Posts
hey there OZGUR, just watched your vid and it made me realise how lucky we are here in australia with regard to the weather. congrats on a successful maiden flight mate. As for the tail heavy problem you spoke of... your take off looked normal to me, and if the problem was bad enough then the plane would of pitched up quite sharply as you rotated. i think all models suffer from wanting to pitch up or down at some point in the flight envelope. unlike real aircraft where the speed changes are slow and are trimmed out by the pilot, models are the opposite, and we all expect them to cope with the speed changes without wanting to pitch up or down . at the end of the day , if its trimmed to glide nice(and mine is) then it is definately going to want to nose up when you accelerate to higher speeds, meaning you will need constant forward stick or trim as you mentioned.if you trimmed it for high speed, you would then use a lot of back stick when gliding and possibly run out of back stick during the flare to land. in case your wondering, mine is stock and using 2200 3s 25c battery, and the cg is right in the same place as yours.
jb0005 is offline Find More Posts by jb0005
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:34 PM
FLY HARD OR FLY HOME TO MUMMY
Joined Jan 2011
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by takiss View Post
Hi.
Nice thread, with experienced and talented builders!
I just received 2 kits from HC. Verry happy with this model.
I have the Flyfly 90 EDF build with flaps, rudder and retracts and I see that same mods are made to this plane.
I would like to make them too, but I feel that I will end up with a heavy plane and loose the floating sense that will have if left with ought these mods.
Anyway, I will install Cyclone motor and 60A ESC with BEC and I like to ask if you see any benefits using flaps and rudder on this plane.
Thanks for helping
Takis
flaps-definately not needed, floats plenty as it is...
rudder-i've got rudder on my other model(j-3 cub), but it needs it being a tail dragger and for doing stall turnsyou won't be doing any of these in the jet, so i would save the weight and the added complexity..light is right. retracts would be nice though!
jb0005 is offline Find More Posts by jb0005
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:44 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgur View Post
Finally I also made my maiden flight.
Congrats! Happy to hear that it went well.

Bit envious here. My own T-45 won't be maidened until this summer at the earliest, and this assumes I find a field large enough in Toronto, or join a club.

Quote:
I am posting a short take off movie below, unfortunately my wife was on the camera and when she lost the plane in the air, she decided to gave up filming...
That's why I use a head-mounted camera. You're already looking at the plane, might as well film it too.

Quote:
It was very calm and not snowing day and the weather something like -11, which is good for Moscow.
Way too cold for me. Lowest I went is 4 Celsius, and my fingers were numb ten minutes into the flight. Does a Tx glove really makes a difference, comfort-wise?

Quote:
I saw the snow bump, hit the bump and plane bounces and turn upside down. Of course the foam vertical stabilizer broken, but not any other damage.
Break looks clean. Add a couple of bamboo skewers or round toothpicks, some Gorilla glue, and it will be good as new.
V-Man is online now Find More Posts by V-Man
Old Feb 23, 2011, 02:32 AM
Joined May 2009
473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by learninginverted View Post
hi guys, has anyone used dons rc edf units on these?
Is there any functional benefit to using a metal fan unit? They look more cosmetic to me.
My kit is on the way!
Hi learniniginverted; Absolutely great choice, this plane is awesome for fist EDF jet. CSI (Ken) was flying with dons rc edf unit, I am sure he will reply you soon. Some guys used cyclone metal fan, but in my opinion its just an extra weight, thats all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takiss View Post
flaps, rudder and retracts and I see that same mods are made to this plane.
Takis
Takis, I agree with jb0005, flaps are totally unnecessary. Mine with dual aileron servo, retracts, rudder and with many balsa control surfaces and is around 1.3kg and what I felt in the air that it is still floating. Only the negative part of heavy plane in my opinion is; you are limiting the flight time. More heavy plane = less flight time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb0005 View Post
hey there OZGUR, just watched your vid and it made me realise how lucky we are here in australia with regard to the weather. congrats on a successful maiden flight mate. As for the tail heavy problem you spoke of... your take off looked normal to me, and if the problem was bad enough then the plane would of pitched up quite sharply as you rotated. i think all models suffer from wanting to pitch up or down at some point in the flight envelope. unlike real aircraft where the speed changes are slow and are trimmed out by the pilot, models are the opposite, and we all expect them to cope with the speed changes without wanting to pitch up or down . at the end of the day , if its trimmed to glide nice(and mine is) then it is definately going to want to nose up when you accelerate to higher speeds, meaning you will need constant forward stick or trim as you mentioned.if you trimmed it for high speed, you would then use a lot of back stick when gliding and possibly run out of back stick during the flare to land. in case your wondering, mine is stock and using 2200 3s 25c battery, and the cg is right in the same place as yours.
Dear jb0005, yeah man, you are very luck... We have only 4-5 comfortable months to fly here in Russia. My project here in Moscow comes to end, who knows maybe we can move much more warmer country?? fingers crossed... i think you are absolutely right about the pitch up problem. Last night I figured out that the elevator was not trimmed well, and increased speed effect determination is correct, I remembered when I WOT the plane, up pitch was more... JB, try higher C grade batteries, you will see the difference...

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Man View Post
Congrats! Happy to hear that it went well.
Bit envious here. My own T-45 won't be maidened until this summer at the earliest

That's why I use a head-mounted camera. You're already looking at the plane, might as well film it too.

Way too cold for me. Lowest I went is 4 Celsius, and my fingers were numb ten minutes into the flight. Does a Tx glove really makes a difference, comfort-wise?

Break looks clean. Add a couple of bamboo skewers or round toothpicks, some Gorilla glue, and it will be good as new.
Thank you V-man, hope your maiden would be perfect too. i agree with you, head-mounted camera better than woman on the camera

ohh man, those Tx gloves, they look like flimsily but believe me they are working great... It is absolutely must have, if you are flying in cold countries... Additionally I purchased the heater system for this gloves from HK and they are just arrived and not tested yet...

Instead of toothpicks or bamboo skewers, I used long needles with epoxy, I hope the result will be good.

Ozgur