HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:21 PM
Joined Sep 2005
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfect1 View Post
May i know what is the KV of your motor and the capacity of your 4s? I am planning to replace my 6 blades fan(64mm) with a 10 blade fan. I am using a 4500kv motor currnetly. If i increase the blade count only, do i get more thrust if all others things (ie ESC, motor, battery ) remain the same ? Thanks.
The motor is advertised as 3300KV but a sticker on the actual motor says 3000KV, so ??. I use Zippy 2200mAH 40C batteries and get 3 minutes of flight time. I think Peter answered your other questions, but I agree it seems a bit risky to just replace your fan using that motor.
vactrol is offline Find More Posts by vactrol
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:12 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim350 View Post
Most car batteries are rated at 60 - 120 amp hour. It is usually on the label somewhere.
This means for a 120 Ah battery it can deliver 120Amps for 1 hr
you will most probably be charging at 6.6Amps (2c) at the field so a car battery will be more than enough.

You need to be careful on how many batteries you charge as dependant on the condition and charge level of your car battery you may not leave enough to start your car.

I have a seperate car battery that I take to the field for charging purposes if I plan on a long flying session.
Car batteries should not be used for field charging. They do not like being discharged and will quickly lose their capacity.

PS although a car battery can be rated at 100amp hours reserve capacity. The true current you will be able to get out of one before your charger gives you a low voltage warning is closer to 25-30A
nighthawk0077 is offline Find More Posts by nighthawk0077
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:51 PM
Add your country to profile:)
United States, CA, Crestline
Joined Oct 2006
309 Posts
I've been using a car battery as my only DC "power supply" for 3 years now. I bought a regular car battery on sale at Autozone and keep it on a Harbor Freight float charger in my garage. The night before I fly I often have 4 lipo chargers running off it at the same time , sometimes charging 10 lipos, some in parallel. It works great and I can't imagine ever buying a large DC power supply to replace it.

Also for the last year I've been bringing the spare battery to the flying field with me if I intend to fly a lot, like Jim350 said. This works out great as I don't worry about killing my car's battery and I don't have to open my hood.

I used to just use my truck's battery at the field and I made sure I always had my jumper cables with me, which I used many times. No biggie, car batteries are pretty tough and low voltage cutoff stops the lipo charging before the battery gets depleted enough to hurt it the car's battery IMO.
CrashMaster39 is offline Find More Posts by CrashMaster39
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:34 AM
United Kingdom, England, Beverley
Joined Jan 2013
100 Posts
LANDER 70MM EDF/10 BLADE METAL SPECIAL 2200Kv MOTOR 6S LEDFDPS/M
[411947]

From robot birds UK

Has anyone seen the above or has anyone used it. I wonder if it would be as powerful as the BL32 setup.
Frank2351 is offline Find More Posts by Frank2351
Old Feb 24, 2013, 04:47 PM
United Kingdom, England, Durham
Joined Apr 2011
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank2351 View Post
LANDER 70MM EDF/10 BLADE METAL SPECIAL 2200Kv MOTOR 6S LEDFDPS/M
[411947]

From robot birds UK

Has anyone seen the above or has anyone used it. I wonder if it would be as powerful as the BL32 setup.
Yes ive got the metal one in my lander hunter it has about the same amount of thrust as the bl 32 set up

Lander Hunter HK 70mm dps new metal changesun fan, 6s (3 min 57 sec)
disho is offline Find More Posts by disho
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:11 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,557 Posts
If you want a lighter option to the Lander, the CyclonePower in a plastic housing is the exact same parts (likely to be really made for CP by Lander anyway), bar the housing. Exact same results of course too.
But you don't save any money... just weight. 245g instead of 330g. Big difference!
Oh, and it is smaller because of not having the huge alloy housing.
Plus I would run them (I do) with a heatsink added ($4).
(I have both the Lander's and CP's..... Lander Alloy's are well made, but just overly clunky and heavy)

http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=2888
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skyzone Goggles - Button Shield
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:34 PM
United States, CT, Manchester
Joined Nov 2007
27 Posts
Quick question,,, do you guys use a UBEC unit when using 4 cells and up... I read that it was recommended to use a UBEC to feed 5v separately to the receiver (off the power source) rather than use the Esc to feed power... I have a UBEC 15amp from Turnigy in my bin that I've never used... I may move to 4 cell with my EDF and wondered if it was recommended to use it... welcome any comments on this... (also,, a friend of mine uses the UBEC to charge his 1 cell lipos.. feeds a 3 cell 2200 into the UBEC and it outputs 6v for the Blade charger to charge 1 cells... good alternative at the field or indoor flights at our dome)... but would like advice on using a UBEC on the EDF... thanks
gibjoe is offline Find More Posts by gibjoe
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:08 PM
Joined Aug 2011
811 Posts
Yes I would advise to run a seperate ubec.
I have written off a T45 from ESC failure.
Some would go as far as to power the ubec from a seperate battery source as well.
jim350 is online now Find More Posts by jim350
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:32 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,078 Posts
Using a separate UBEC has several things going for it. For one, it is physically isolated from the ESC. If the ESC should burn-up or overheat, an integrated BEC/UBEC would also be affected.

To address the 4S or higher aspect, the UBEC serves as a regulated step-down voltage source for the receiver and other electronics. The greater the step-down required down to 5-6V, the more power the UBEC will dissipate as heat. With an integrated device, the package will have to sink the heat generated by both ESC and UBEC. Having them separate gives each device its own heatsink. As mentioned above, the UBEC could also be powered by its own battery at a lower voltage, reducing the stress on the UBEC's circuitry.
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:34 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,557 Posts
They don't dissipate voltage as heat... unless it is a LINEAR BEC.
SBEC/UBEC... switching circuit BEC's.... waste no energy.

But you are still safer running a separate BEC in all cases.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:49 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,078 Posts
*All* circuits dissipate heat, some more than others. Linear BEC's operate at a "quiescent" (operating) current that is the major source of power loss through heat, equal to the product of the current and the voltage drop, and the higher the voltage the bigger that product and requires a larger heatsink and higher-rated components.

Switch-mode BEC's are more efficient because they use time-varying energy storage elements (inductors, capacitors) to "sip" the input power in cycles. A downside is that this oscillating operation generates radio-frequency interference - which is why UBEC's are housed in metal shields and are recommended to be placed a certain distance away from the RX. But all real-world non-superconducting components are non-ideal, i.e. they have internal/parasitic resistances, which generate heat.
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:34 AM
Joined Jan 2013
100 Posts
Disho is the quality ok of this lander 10 blade setup. Its cheaper than me sending away for the 5 mm adapter and bits for the Bl32 setup.
Cheers
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:36 PM
United Kingdom, England, Durham
Joined Apr 2011
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank2351 View Post
Disho is the quality ok of this lander 10 blade setup. Its cheaper than me sending away for the 5 mm adapter and bits for the Bl32 setup.
Cheers
yes they are good quality, and sound good, plus the good thing with them is its a drop in fit no balancing etc, works out a little cheaper, but a bit heavier compaired to the plastic cs10 fan
disho is offline Find More Posts by disho
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:44 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,557 Posts
90g heavier than the exact same CyclonePower plastic housing unit - both are Lander anyway.
245g versus 330g
Both the same price too. Lander $73 at HobbyKing, CP $73 at RC-Castle
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:39 AM
Joined Jan 2013
100 Posts
Cheers
I think I will use this Lander for my next project. I am going to do the couger or the panther.