SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:40 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,542 Posts
Yes, the WATTAGE number of the charger will set what maximum Current (Amps) it can do for any given Volts (Cell count).
eg 6S is 22.2V.... A 50 Watts rate charger = 50w / 22.2v = 2.25 Amps max charge rate. Though many will do some amount more than their stated watts. ie might do 2.5Amps

So to charge a 6S 5000mAH at its 1C 5 Amps you need over 100W ability.
Like the 150W mentioned, or 200W etc.

There is a good Turnigy, or HobbyKing, (I forget) 200W (r was it 150W) charger than can do up to 8S.
That is useful to plan for your possible future! hehe
I have a few of those and they work very well. (I have 8 HK chargers... 3 types)

BUT....... on ALL of those HobbyKing/Turnigy chargers, they do not have truly adequate cooling. A small, lousy, 'noisy within a week' fan, and the main heatsink cooling side is external, not internal where that fan even blows.
You will find out soon enough how hot that heatsink will get when charging higher power batteries! And how marginal the unit alone is.... waiting to fry any time! (like tons of people in the HobbyKing reviews/discussions list has happened to them).
To prevent this you need to have your own fan blowing over the cooling fins.
Be warned....
If you do this then they will last long term.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skyzone Goggles - Button Shield
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:31 AM
United States, CT, Manchester
Joined Nov 2007
27 Posts
Just got a newletter email from hobbyzone this morning.. Says its an email special sale.. but I'm sure the coupon code would work for anyone.
Don't know about this charger.. but it is a 200w one... just putting it out there for your review.. you'll have to do some google review searches on it however... joeg

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/DYN4105.html

$129.99 now ==> $104.99 FREE SHIPPING on orders over $100.00
Use Coupon Code CPNDYN4105 during checkout to save $25.
gibjoe is offline Find More Posts by gibjoe
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:46 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,542 Posts
Most are very similar really anyway. Clone of a clone etc.
A lot of the HK ones (all I have) are BC labelled boards inside them.

I think you will find that listed one above is the same as one or another of the HK ones... that cost more like $40
Though I do wonder which ones do blow up, how often, and why. eg Other brand ones... and I know why the HK ones do... so that is something you really want to cover, but it is an easy cheap fix, so the total charger cost is still miles under what 'named' brands are.
eg you can end up with THREE same rated units for the price of one....

I have two 'runs' of four chargers (in a row with input/outputs at the accesible ends of each) and us a 80mm PC fan to blow down that row. That is enough to massively reduce the heatsink temps, and assure they won't blow up.
You won't see issues in the stock form until you head towards their higher end of stated ability. eg by 150w in the 200w version etc. But generally a reasonable way short of what they actually CAN do (stated numbers) if adequately cooled.

The last week or so I have been charging near the maximums (large 5S and 6S batteries) and it has been ambient temps in the 30degC's. In the early days I had one blow up in winter even! But you only had to feel the heatsink to know why that had happened! And checking others, when used, quickly showed the temps they headed towards was not a good situation for them for sure. So I set up the fan idea and now with a fan blowing over/along them they don't even get luke warm ever - even in these 30degC+ days.
I would doubt that ANY other brands - of these similar designs that many are - would act any differently, because they all use the same passive external heatsink idea. And a passive heatsink can't dump a fraction of the heat that an actively cooled one can!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:12 AM
United Kingdom, England, Beverley
Joined Jan 2013
100 Posts
Cheers guys.
Just ordered another 3 x 6cell 35-70 3300 nano tech so more flight time at the field.

Quick question: if I attach one of these chargers with the clips straight to a car bat will the car bat have eneough power to provide the full 200 wat for say a 200 charger.
Frank2351 is offline Find More Posts by Frank2351
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:31 AM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2012
844 Posts
just for sharing for those who are interested in landing your T45 on road or tarmac without landing gears!!!!

T45 shortflight and landing on road without landing gears!! (1 min 8 sec)
viperviper is online now Find More Posts by viperviper
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:40 PM
Joined Sep 2005
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
the new 64mm 10-blade units, e.g., from HK; should make fitting the fan a lot easier (less foam to remove) - has anyone tried it yet?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ey_3300Kv.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by vactrol View Post
I'm building a T-45 and have this motor on order. Will report how it goes.
I have finished & flown my T-45 with the HK 10 blade fan. Installation wasn't too bad. Had to remove a bit of foam for the radiused lip in front, and had to remove the elevator servo mount to get it in. Hot glue doesn't stick well to the alloy body, even when roughened up with sandpaper.

Flight of HobbyKing T-45 64mm EDF With 10 Blade Fan (1 min 58 sec)

HobbyKing Alloy DPS 64mm 10 Blade EDF Run on 4S (1 min 44 sec)
vactrol is offline Find More Posts by vactrol
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:55 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,542 Posts
In pics that looks easier than my CS10 fit in!!

I never charge at the field, but a car battery is as good as 'umlimited Amps' for such a thing as a 'weeny charger'. So you should have no problem at all getting a charger to run at up to its max of 200W fine.
Probably ANY charger wattage. eg even 400W and more.
When it charges anything at 200W, that is then 200w/12V (approx car battery) = 16A or so.
The car battey can do that with ease BUT over long term it means battery charge depletion..... so I have no experience with it, but you would want to be investigating keeping the car battery charged! eg probably runnig the motor some amount at least. So you can get started to go home still !! LOL
Or... maybe htey can do 4 hours of 16Amps and still be fine..... I don't know
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:09 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,089 Posts
Quote:
I have finished & flown my T-45 with the HK 10 blade fan. Installation wasn't too bad...
nice, congratulations! 64mm fan must be a lot easier to fit than the 70mm (although the Lander 64 is rather bigger than the Chinese plastic 64mm).
did you cut a cheater hole?
cheers
Clemens
mopetista is offline Find More Posts by mopetista
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:14 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,542 Posts
Oh, derr... of course.... 64mm not 70mm.....
No wonder it fits easily! hehe
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:44 PM
United States, CT, Manchester
Joined Nov 2007
27 Posts
Can someone explain why the "cheater hole" where is it cut and what usually determines if you need one or not? Also... I don't use hot glue very much... I've found that the product ==> Formula '560' known as "Canopy Glue" works really well... its like white glue (takes usually overnight to dry" but its not like white glue at all... dries clear, its flexible somewhat.. and adheres to foam, plastic, metal very well... it can be cut off with xacto also... I use it for glueing servos, foam...etc.. very inexpensive.. couple of bucks/bottle joeg
gibjoe is offline Find More Posts by gibjoe
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:10 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,542 Posts
You 'need' a cheater if the fan system used cannot get enough air input from the standard ducting. This will be related to what power your fan is running, and/or various other aspects such as fan type.
A lot of people put in a fan system that is more powerful than the stock plane was designed for, so it often has an inlet, or exit, or both, size shortfall.

A "cheater" cheats the normal airflow path by short-cutting an airflow path closer to the fan.
It is good to be close to the fan inlet, but it will also affect flight according to its position because of the suction it will create in that area. So it is good to work out the best position to have it (or them) - not just willy nilly put them somewhere.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:53 PM
Joined Sep 2005
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
nice, congratulations! 64mm fan must be a lot easier to fit than the 70mm (although the Lander 64 is rather bigger than the Chinese plastic 64mm).
did you cut a cheater hole?
cheers
Clemens
Thanks! Yes the majority of the fan fits easily, I just had to cut a bit off in front and add slots for the lip. No cheater hole. It's a belly lander and I was concerned about ingesting debris.
vactrol is offline Find More Posts by vactrol
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:18 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2012
39 Posts

Quote:
Thanks! Yes the majority of the fan fits easily, I just had to cut a bit off in front and add slots for the lip. No cheater hole. It's a belly lander and I was concerned about ingesting debris.
May i know what is the KV of your motor and the capacity of your 4s? I am planning to replace my 6 blades fan(64mm) with a 10 blade fan. I am using a 4500kv motor currnetly. If i increase the blade count only, do i get more thrust if all others things (ie ESC, motor, battery ) remain the same ? Thanks.
perfect1 is offline Find More Posts by perfect1
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:43 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,542 Posts
The load of higher blade count fans is higher.... so you can't run 4500kv on the 10 blade and stay on 4S. That Lander 64mm is 3300kv.
You would be best off just getting the whole ready to run unit from Hobby King, but of course then it costs more.
But if you just got a fan, and then a motor you need for that, you will be heading to near that price area anyway and also have to assemble and balance it yourself too.

I don't think there is any more cost effective way to do it really.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:05 AM
Joined Aug 2011
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank2351 View Post
Cheers guys.
Just ordered another 3 x 6cell 35-70 3300 nano tech so more flight time at the field.

Quick question: if I attach one of these chargers with the clips straight to a car bat will the car bat have eneough power to provide the full 200 wat for say a 200 charger.
Most car batteries are rated at 60 - 120 amp hour. It is usually on the label somewhere.
This means for a 120 Ah battery it can deliver 120Amps for 1 hr
you will most probably be charging at 6.6Amps (2c) at the field so a car battery will be more than enough.

You need to be careful on how many batteries you charge as dependant on the condition and charge level of your car battery you may not leave enough to start your car.

I have a seperate car battery that I take to the field for charging purposes if I plan on a long flying session.
jim350 is online now Find More Posts by jim350