HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:59 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
NitroCharged's Avatar
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Well, they're better than your Hawk flying skills Jim! Bazinga! LOL

That lead is over 3 years old and has been in every Hawk crash since day one so I am putting it down to fatigue.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:45 PM
Rickson C
ricksonchow's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Dec 2006
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
The stock control rod is 2mm diameter, but the thread part is 2.25mm.

You can try tapping a 2mm clevis to 2.25mm, or fill a 3mm clevis with epoxy then insert the rod thread, let it set, then twist counter-clockwise to release and make it adjustable. You could lightly coat or wipe the thread with petroleum jelly to help.
Thanks, seems worth a try on that way!
ricksonchow is offline Find More Posts by ricksonchow
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:02 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2011
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Well, they're better than your Hawk flying skills Jim! Bazinga! LOL

That lead is over 3 years old and has been in every Hawk crash since day one so I am putting it down to fatigue.
Remind me who put it into the deck inverted last time? :-)
jim350 is online now Find More Posts by jim350
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:53 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
V-Man's Avatar
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyrc1012 View Post
quad,
this plane is a great flying plane UNTIL YOU ADD ALL THE EXTRA STUFF TO IT....
leave it stripped down, no gear or retracts, no flaps or rudder.... some people try to make this plane more than it is, then wonder why the performance isn't there anymore...
While I've scaled down my scale ambitions [sic], there's still a few things I want to do to the plane before next season.

50-55A ESC: duh. Enough people in this thread lost their plane to the default ESC, I'm not adding to the list.

Canopy-access battery bay: don't trust the plastic cage they provide with the kit.

Rudder: got a few "yank and bank" planes, but when flying them I keep trying to use a rudder that's not there. Personnaly, I find it an essential mod. Will use a tiny servo, though...

Ducting: the interior of the plane is one big, lumpy cavern. Call it Turbulence City. Just need two walls of thin foam to clean it up.

Thrust tube: look past the fan - there's hundreds of tiny airbrakes molded in there. I'll look for the thinnest, smoothest plastic I can find. Surely this will gain a few ounces of thrust?

Proper hinges: don't trust the folding foam that comes with the kit.

Reinforced fixed landing gear: this is a trainer EDF. Part of the training is how to land a jet. Will add skewers to the plastic parts to anchor them more deeply in the foam.

Pilots: because an empty cockpit just looks wrong.

Things I've decided to keep for a future Hawk (probably a 70-90mm fan type), after following this thread:

Spar
Retracts with gear doors
Flaps
New paint scheme
Detailed cockpit
10-blade fan (for the sound)

Gotta be realistic.
V-Man is offline Find More Posts by V-Man
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:50 PM
no more glow models for me!!!!
iflyrc1012's Avatar
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
glad i could help....
iflyrc1012 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrc1012
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:33 PM
Registered User
fredmdbud's Avatar
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Man View Post
50-55A ESC: duh. Enough people in this thread lost their plane to the default ESC, I'm not adding to the list.
This rating is adequate for 3S - marginal for 4S, and that's with a quality ESC. The stock ESC is suspect. Balance the fan and/or swap out the motor with a lower kV one to improve/lower current load, a 60A ESC is a safe bet.
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:24 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
V-Man's Avatar
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
This rating is adequate for 3S - marginal for 4S, and that's with a quality ESC. The stock ESC is suspect.
I'm going with 3S because I already have several high-C, 2200 mAh batteries for my heli. Don't want to start buying 4S or larger until I have a really good reason to do so (I standardize a lot of parts across airframes).

Quote:
Balance the fan and/or swap out the motor with a lower kV one to improve/lower current load, a 60A ESC is a safe bet.
I can easily get a larger ESC, the weight difference is negligible. I was just suggesting 55A because I already have one of those, and could get a second one to use the same programming card (standardize, as I said... ).
V-Man is offline Find More Posts by V-Man
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:31 PM
Rickson C
ricksonchow's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Dec 2006
321 Posts
Also, If you decided to use the 70mm CS 10/12-blade fan, you may need some higher rating ESC. I have tried to fly it using a Turnigy 2855-2300KV with 4s 2650 30C (drawing about 41A and found that there are not enough of thrust. Bare in mind that my T-45 is just a basic setup (no Gears, no rudder) so if you going to fly the hawk with these mod you mentioned, you need a higher power setup. I am not sure if the CS 10/12 blade with work with 3S battery on the hawk
ricksonchow is offline Find More Posts by ricksonchow
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:00 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksonchow View Post
Also, If you decided to use the 70mm CS 10/12-blade fan, you may need some higher rating ESC. I have tried to fly it using a Turnigy 2855-2300KV with 4s 2650 30C (drawing about 41A and found that there are not enough of thrust. Bare in mind that my T-45 is just a basic setup (no Gears, no rudder) so if you going to fly the hawk with these mod you mentioned, you need a higher power setup. I am not sure if the CS 10/12 blade with work with 3S battery on the hawk
I think that if you don't want to spend a heap of dollars you can't go wrong with the HK (RcLander) 10 blade 70mm fan it's got plenty of power on 4s it draws fairly high amps 85 in my T45 but it performs really well I can't complain
I have plans for a really high performance setup in the next build will still run 4s with a Typhoon EDF 1W-40 3300Kv and 10 0r 12 blades full alloy fan
I've ordered another T45 from HK and will start my build next year
Quadmad is offline Find More Posts by Quadmad
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:23 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
250 Posts
I managed to make my new vertical stab last night I used 1/8 balsa sheet polyurethaned it and then painted it red
I will try it out tomorrow I' try find someone to take some vid of it
Quadmad is offline Find More Posts by Quadmad
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:03 AM
Registered User
peterswolf's Avatar
United States, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Apr 2012
985 Posts
Looks great Quadmad!!
peterswolf is online now Find More Posts by peterswolf
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:43 PM
no more glow models for me!!!!
iflyrc1012's Avatar
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
make SURE you re-check your c/g before you re-maiden it!!!!!!!! even little changes affect the c/g especially that far rearward on the fuselage...
iflyrc1012 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrc1012
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:51 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
250 Posts
Looks great Quadmad!!
Thanks peterswolf

make SURE you re-check your c/g before you re-maiden it!!!!!!!! even little changes affect the c/g especially that far rearward on the fuselage...

I did check the cog and moved my lipo just a tiny bit foreword

It's blowing 30+ knots here today no chance of any kind of flying
Quadmad is offline Find More Posts by Quadmad
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:03 PM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadmad View Post
Looks great Quadmad!!
Thanks peterswolf

make SURE you re-check your c/g before you re-maiden it!!!!!!!! even little changes affect the c/g especially that far rearward on the fuselage...

I did check the cog and moved my lipo just a tiny bit foreword

It's blowing 30+ knots here today no chance of any kind of flying
in that kind of wind, i like to practice flying backwards with my flying wing
(sometimes a gyro can help, but i haven't installed it yet.)
m_ark is offline Find More Posts by m_ark
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:02 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_ark View Post
in that kind of wind, i like to practice flying backwards with my flying wing
(sometimes a gyro can help, but i haven't installed it yet.)
I have to take up slope soaring i think
Quadmad is offline Find More Posts by Quadmad
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product F4D Skyray 64mm EDF by FMS Model Joe 1320 Foamy EDFs 1022 Dec 11, 2014 06:19 AM
Article G&C Hobby F-16 "Fighting Falcon" 64mm EDF from NitroPlanes Review Spackles94 Foamy EDFs 69 May 19, 2012 03:46 AM
Discussion Hobby King A4 Blue Angels EDF Jet airbagit13 Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 8 Nov 05, 2010 12:37 AM
For Sale Replacement 64mm EDF fan units for EDO and Hobby Lobby jets (REDUCED) The Don Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 10 Dec 07, 2008 11:24 PM
Discussion broken fan on 64mm sapac t45 edf newguy2005 Foamy EDFs 0 Jul 19, 2008 05:44 PM