HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:36 PM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2crash View Post
My experience is 41/2 months flying 3 weeks on mini cub 3ch,1month on 4ch hawksky(like bixler) and over 2 months flying 1280mm AXN clouds floater and last week started flying Arrow 1400mm which a larger version of axn...I always push myself to do more stunts...but these planes are not jets...i just want to be able to take off and land without crashing that would be a great feeling for me...Here's a great video...he is running 4s 3000 mah 60c,60 amp turnigy plush,Rc lander 64mm fan unit...I wonder if he has a thin sheet of lexan pastic glued to bottom...amazing belly takeoffs...PS do u have to modify battery compartment to fit such a large 3000 4s in this bird???Also what if i installed a gyro for alerons(kinda like training wheels on a bike to keep plane nice and level... http://youtu.be/qgZasRg4VdU

heres the fan and motor i think he is using http://shop.rc-electric-jets.com/RC-...EDF64-1A43.htm
I wouldn't recommend going from those floater aircraft to this one with under 6 months experience.
To get more experience to prepare you for flying 'speedy' aircraft, i found it helped a lot to fly smaller planes (easier/cheaper to fix if you crash), like the hobbyking swift, in high winds (ie 15mph gusting to 20mph).

Once you can tame one of those planes in difficult conditions, the speed of a jet isn't so much of a problem. After 3 months of that i put in a few months flying an upgraded Skyfun - a pusher prop jet. The speed was there, but incase i got into trouble it had heaps of static thrust to get my out of a tight spot.

Following this, flying the jet became like a relaxing past time... though low passes still get the adrenalin pumping!

To really hone your reflexes and focus, there's nothing better than a strong wind and a light plane! haha...
If nothing else, a crash is just a heavy landing that the plane is not built to withstand.
m_ark is offline Find More Posts by m_ark
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:51 PM
Joined May 2010
1,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_ark View Post
I wouldn't recommend going from those floater aircraft to this one with under 6 months experience.
To get more experience to prepare you for flying 'speedy' aircraft, i found it helped a lot to fly smaller planes (easier/cheaper to fix if you crash), like the hobbyking swift, in high winds (ie 15mph gusting to 20mph).

Once you can tame one of those planes in difficult conditions, the speed of a jet isn't so much of a problem. After 3 months of that i put in a few months flying an upgraded Skyfun - a pusher prop jet. The speed was there, but incase i got into trouble it had heaps of static thrust to get my out of a tight spot.

Following this, flying the jet became like a relaxing past time... though low passes still get the adrenalin pumping!

To really hone your reflexes and focus, there's nothing better than a strong wind and a light plane! haha...
If nothing else, a crash is just a heavy landing that the plane is not built to withstand.
I have flown in the wind a lot.also FP heli's in wind..i also built several electric warbirds i could fly..corsairs,p51 t-28 ,hellcat...i guess i can always clip the wings on my arrow or axn first.which makes it very stunt worthy and even faster..axn will do over 68 mph level flight... Let me say i have these other planes i built but still have only flown the trainer gliders
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
Last edited by hate2crash; Aug 02, 2012 at 03:12 AM.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:27 PM
Gravity sucks.
Joined Mar 2011
567 Posts
Quote:
i just want to be able
to take off and land without crashing that
would be a great feeling for me.
This gave me the impression you didn't have much experience... Landing a jet is the same as landing anything else - if there's a strong enough headwind you can almost land vertically, otherwise you just need to come it a bit faster & try to hold onto the elvevator flare till just before the nose touches. I'm sure there are other equally good techniques also...
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:45 AM
Joined May 2010
1,878 Posts
Quote:
This gave me the impression you didn't have much experience... Landing a jet is the same as landing anything else - if there's a strong enough headwind you can almost land vertically, otherwise you just need to come it a bit faster & try to hold onto the elvevator flare till just before the nose touches. I'm sure there are other equally good techniques also...
The planes i fly are for novice pilots...i never flew a jet of any kind,so i just need to believe i can do it i guess...it is foam and i am good at repairing these...so i just need to give it try and hopefully i will have success!But i will see if i can master a couple of warbirds i built first... thanks
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:34 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2crash View Post
The planes i fly are for novice pilots...i never flew a jet of any kind,so i just need to believe i can do it i guess...
Just make sure you have plenty of speed before you start to turn, then go full throttle through the turn. Give yourself a bit of altitude as well during the turn just in case things go wrong.

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:07 AM
Gravity sucks.
Joined Mar 2011
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
Just make sure you have plenty of speed before you start to turn, then go full throttle through the turn. Give yourself a bit of altitude as well during the turn just in case things go wrong.

Mick
not sure if full throttle is required for every turn, but speed certainly is the key - if your control starts to feel soft or not accurate, you're probably approaching a stall... time to nose down and add a bit of throttle.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:36 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
not sure if full throttle is required for every turn, but speed certainly is the key.
I've had a couple of close calls with my T-45 through not powering into the turn. The wing has twice tipped on me, and i was lucky i had the altitude to pull out. I guess full throttle or not would depend a lot on your thrust spec. I would not advise anybody new to EDF not to punch throttle through the turn though.
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:03 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
8,074 Posts
Quote:
not sure if full throttle is required for every turn, but speed certainly is the key - if your control starts to feel soft or not accurate, you're probably approaching a stall... time to nose down and add a bit of throttle.

There are still too many propeller people in the EDF world

Full Throttle on EDF , if not a vector EDF .. means NOTHING

All that matter is the speed compare to the wind

Control surface if not blown by relative speed in compare to the air ... get no ventilation from the EDF unit ... like most propeller plane have when throttle is applied.

I'm gliding with my T-45 with dead throttle ... and I have no problem ... stall happen only at very very low speed .... assuming you did not transform the T-45 in a flying brick

Keep the T-45 light ... and it will fly beautifully ... this EDF is not the bird for make speed record ... in my view stock speed with stock motor and 3S is already fast enough for enjoy the bird ... and more then speed ... what is nice is do some acrobatics stuff .. like loops ... and it loop from level in stock without a problem.

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: Sorry ... reading back I see too many you ... I mean a generic reader ... not the good m_ark
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:29 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2012
39 Posts

Someone told me the stock Esc will burn out quite easily in the 64mm T45 when using 3s 2200mah batt. I plan to put in an align 60A esc(from my Trex500) but i am afraid that it will make the plane heavier than it should be. Any advice please. I am new to EDF. I just want to fly around without doing anything crazy. Thanks.
perfect1 is offline Find More Posts by perfect1
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:36 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
8,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfect1 View Post
Someone told me the stock Esc will burn out quite easily in the 64mm T45 when using 3s 2200mah batt. I plan to put in an align 60A esc(from my Trex500) but i am afraid that it will make the plane heavier than it should be. Any advice please. I am new to EDF. I just want to fly around without doing anything crazy. Thanks.
The OLD stock ESC, was rated 50Amp (It has a mark on the PCB MC50A) ... once placed under the two upper red air intake, it was not problematic at all about the power.

The common issue was some strange reset on full power .... making the T-45 risky and unpredictable.

I have a HK 60Amp on my T-45 the weight difference is minimal ... adding up to 100 gram or even 150 will not change much.

But I read here somebody has double the weight ... I mean ... it is fine ... somebody like a ultra fast flying brick ... somebody like something more light and gentle ...

Tchuss

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:46 PM
no more glow models for me!!!!
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
agreed, i'm flying mine with a 80 amp hk simple series e.s.c., stock fan and a 2850 4 cell ...
i feel this is about the best this airframe is gonna fly.... more weight will make it too heavy...
i chop throttle when it's about 4 feet off the deck and feed in up until it touches the ground.. it's still a floater..... mine has 25 or so flights on it with this set-up.
iflyrc1012 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrc1012
Old Aug 04, 2012, 11:01 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2012
39 Posts
orange rx sucks

Thanks for the feedback. Today i maiden my T45 using thunder power 3s 2200mah, 60A ESC and an orange rx (6ch with satellite rx)...My friend handlaunch it for me. Full throttle and full back elevator, it nearly stall. Quite happy with the power of the stock motor and the fan. I am flying it around using half throttle most of the time. Even for a EDF newbie like me, i feel that it is quite easy to fly. Great plane. My all-up-weight is 800g. During one turn, i use too little throttle and it crash. After some repair, it is up again. During the second flight, the rx fail me at about 200m away. I did a full range test after the crash and found that it lost its signal at exactly the point i crash it. It is time for me to buy a spectrum rx. Orange rx sucks.
Old Aug 04, 2012, 11:14 AM
no more glow models for me!!!!
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
perfect1,
i have been using hk orange r/x's for two years and have never had one fail on me yet....did you do a proper range check before flying it???
you should have your transmitter checked...maybe that's the problem...
iflyrc1012 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrc1012
Old Aug 05, 2012, 04:20 AM
Joined Sep 2010
25 Posts
Hi all

I want to buy my first jet plane

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Kit_only.html

and I need help to completing he 4S setup

motor - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._for_64mm.html or better 3800KV or some other ??

EDF Ducted Fan Unit 7Blade 2.5inch 64mm - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...inch_64mm.html

ESC - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...k_70A_ESC.html this ?? or some other ??

which servo and battery will be good ??

Thx for a help
Lejna is offline Find More Posts by Lejna
Old Aug 05, 2012, 06:05 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2012
39 Posts
range check

Today i do a full range check on the ground using my DSX9 with a spectrum 6chn rx with satellite. Signal is still strong at 400 plus metres. I will not fly this far as i cant even see the orientation of my plane. Maybe yours is the 1st few batch. I has learn my lesson.