HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:51 AM
Joined Feb 2012
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyrc1012 View Post
the fan blades face forward, the motor is towards the rear of the plane....
I flipped it 180.

Now the 3 cables are a bit in the way of the air flow from the fan, is that a biggie?
To minimize that i need to make a hole in the fan unit and the plane to rewire them...
PsyQuad is offline Find More Posts by PsyQuad
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2012, 11:05 AM
no more glow models for me!!!!
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
the 3 wires usually get routed around the fan. don't cut a hole in the housing, just make a
route around the fan in the foam fuse by hogging out a bit of foam then make sure the fan is
aligned straight, and close her up...
iflyrc1012 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrc1012
Old Jul 01, 2012, 11:18 AM
Joined Feb 2012
64 Posts
Busted Fan
Busted Motor
All garbage now i think.
How the did this happen....

The motor melted into the motor housing.
It didn't fit well to begin with, i had to expand the fan slot but , now it just melted in there, worked fine on tests before i flipped the motor direction... oh god.

Edit:

I got the motor out finally... it melted into the fan duct.
I will test it now but considering the amount of plastic "filings" inside the motor even if it works it will probably have it's performance greatly affected.

Let's hope the ESC is ok, can this damage the ESC?
Last edited by PsyQuad; Jul 01, 2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: more images
Old Jul 01, 2012, 11:37 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,966 Posts
The ESC is probably OK, looks like the fan rubbed the housing, loading the motor, drawing more current and heating the motor.

1) Does the motor still run?
2) Did you test the motor+fan before you installed them?

Before you install a new fan, first do some test runs to break it in. Do them in bursts, starting low and gradually going up to full throttle. Do not hold throttle for more than 5 seconds. This will let you know if the fan is rubbing; if it is, this will also allow the fan unit to "self-grind" to fit, as well as check the balance of the fan.

If the fan housing is a tight fit, there is a chance that the housing could be slightly distored and pinched, where the fan blades make contact. Again, short bursts will tell you if they are.
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:25 PM
Joined Feb 2012
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
The ESC is probably OK, looks like the fan rubbed the housing, loading the motor, drawing more current and heating the motor.

1) Does the motor still run?
2) Did you test the motor+fan before you installed them?

Before you install a new fan, first do some test runs to break it in. Do them in bursts, starting low and gradually going up to full throttle. Do not hold throttle for more than 5 seconds. This will let you know if the fan is rubbing; if it is, this will also allow the fan unit to "self-grind" to fit, as well as check the balance of the fan.

If the fan housing is a tight fit, there is a chance that the housing could be slightly distored and pinched, where the fan blades make contact. Again, short bursts will tell you if they are.

Ok thanks!

I dremmeled, and sand-papered and enlarged the duct.
I put everything back in place and it seems OK now...
How much performance the motor suffered only the maiden will tell.
If it works like a** i will buy a new motor, if it works fine then it's all good
Old Jul 01, 2012, 06:36 PM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyQuad View Post
Ok thanks!

I dremmeled, and sand-papered and enlarged the duct.
I put everything back in place and it seems OK now...
How much performance the motor suffered only the maiden will tell.
If it works like a** i will buy a new motor, if it works fine then it's all good
i don't know why anyone hasn't suggested yet, but that fan pitch +7 blades is probably too much for your little motor.

I don't know what the KV on your motor is, but i had that same fan and mounted it on a 2836 3600kv from Hobbyking rated for 35 amps. The fan was way too much load for my on 4s (got hot and cracked magnets), and only gave around 500g thrust on 3s.
basically the fan is an amp hog and I threw the two copies I had away, in preference for a 6 blade system with less aggressive pitch.

Of course your experience with it might be completely different, and perhaps i was doing something wrong.

the motor you've chosen is rated to 21 amps
m_ark is offline Find More Posts by m_ark
Last edited by m_ark; Jul 01, 2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: found link to motor used.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:51 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_ark View Post
I don't know what the KV on your motor is, but i had that same fan and mounted it on a 2836 3600kv from Hobbyking rated for 35 amps. The fan was way too much load for my on 4s (got hot and cracked magnets), and only gave around 500g thrust on 3s.
Sounds like a good reason to get a more powerful motor. Speed!

(Jokes aside, any reason a more powerful motor won't fit in there? Might need a bigger ESC and battery, though.)
V-Man is online now Find More Posts by V-Man
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:11 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,966 Posts
Here are the specs of a motor included in one motor+EDF combo (6-blade fan):

CS450-4500-30EDF ( 4500Kv ), 3S - 4S ( 11.1v -14.8v ), 900W Max, 11.1v, static thrust around 800g (37A) , 14.8v Around 1200g (56A)
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined May 2011
49 Posts
It's an "Haoye" with seven blades, ok, i had one and sound great, like a real jet, but, it's a "ampeater"!!!!!!!.
I had the same problem, melt the fan duct and attachment of the engine at high temperatures, remember, if you have a fan with an agressive blade pitch the motor must should make a big effort!!!!!!!..
My advice is that you buy a 4500 cyclone edf unit.The plane come alive, you can choose 11.1 volts for a quiet flight or 14.8 if you want a bit of speed and agressive flight.
The cyclone fit perfectly, you should not do anything or change nothing, only put the double face 3m band for lock the unit!.
I forgot to tell you that you should use a esc of more than 50 amps, 60/80 amps for safe flying.
My settings:
4500 KV CYCLONE EDF SIX BLADES (RC-CASTLE)
SKYWING 80 AMP ESC
3300 MAH 14.8 VOLTS

Ok, here a videos of my t-45 ,were performed in the old airport of my city (Trelew - Chubut-Patagonia Argentina).The airport was closed for the Airliners, but the flying club still operate in it.

mas vuelos jet edf trelew!! (6 min 2 sec)

jet en trelew !!! (4 min 58 sec)

Bye and greetings from "The Patagonia".
Leojet is offline Find More Posts by Leojet
Last edited by Leojet; Jul 07, 2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:54 AM
Joined Feb 2012
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leojet View Post
It's an "Haoye" with seven blades, ok, i had one and sound great, like a real jet, but, it's a "ampeater"!!!!!!!.
I had the same problem, melt the fan duct and attachment of the engine at high temperatures, remember, if you have a fan with an agressive blade pitch the motor must should make a big effort!!!!!!!..
My advice is that you buy a 4500 cyclone edf unit.The plane come alive, you can choose 11.1 volts for a quiet flight or 14.8 if you want a bit of speed and agressive flight.

My settings:
4500 KV CYCLONE EDF SIX BLADES (RC-CASTLE)
SKYWING 80 AMP ESC
3300 MAH 14.8 VOLTS

Bye and greetings from "The Patagonia".

This one?

http://edfhobbies.com/index.php?rout...product_id=162
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:44 PM
Canada, MB
Joined Feb 2012
505 Posts
Quote:
Probably this one: http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=1905
Flying By is offline Find More Posts by Flying By
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:49 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined May 2011
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderbrander View Post
Just put in one of these and you'll never have to worry about your ESC again. It's light (for it's size) has a 5 amp bec and is absolutely bomb proof. I have several of these for a few years in different jets and they never give me any issues.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...w_5A_SBEC.html
hey vanderbrander, do you need any mods to fit this esc into the hawk? it seems rather chunky. Also have you found any good way to route the esc wires through the fuse to the canopy area, it is really tricky and rather time consuming, and i am pretty sure this esc uses thicker wires than the one i am currently using. Does this thing really have an off/on switch and is it reliable?
giantkevmiester is offline Find More Posts by giantkevmiester
Old Jul 09, 2012, 07:59 PM
Just an Earth bound misfit - I
Canada, ON, L'Orignal
Joined Nov 2010
1,096 Posts
Only minor mods to fit the ESC. I put mine in the cutout directly in front of the fan. That way the esc sits pretty flush in the airflow and the wires reach the motor and you then only need a short extension for the battery wires to make it to the cockpit area. Fishing the wires can be a pain. Use a piece of stiff wire as a pull thru, tape the battery wires to the pull thru wire and gently work them thru the hole.

I'm sure you'll get it eventually it's not that bad
vanderbrander is offline Find More Posts by vanderbrander
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined May 2011
49 Posts
Quote:
Ok, but i have bought the dinamic balanced cyclone 64 mm edf.
I dont like the metal unit, its heavy and the performances are the same as the plastic.
Now im looking for another cyclone edf for my second t-45, i have another two but are waiting my second Su-34 Fullback unit..
Leojet is offline Find More Posts by Leojet
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:03 PM
Sverige, Södermanlands Län, Eskilstuna
Joined Jan 2008
195 Posts
Replacement for stock B3830 Brushless Outrunner 4300kv

Hi,
Anyone that knows if HK have any replacement motor that fit the 64mm fan from the T-45 GosHawk?
The bearing in my motor is really bad and sound terrible. So eather new motor or new bearings. I do not want to change the whole EDF just the motor.
This is the EDF and motor.

I can find no text or label on the motor so I do not know what it is exactly.
The EDF is now glued in the plane so I just want to change the motor.
Petrik59 is offline Find More Posts by Petrik59