HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:11 PM
Joined Aug 2010
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantkevmiester View Post
Hi, does any of you guys know how many amps the stock (pnp) hawk draws while running on a 2200 3s, I have tossed out the stock esc, and replaced it with an airfield 50amp esc, though after flights it gets very hot. Just wondering how many amps the hawk draws so the esc doesn't blow on me in flight in case it draws more amps than it can handle.
I put a 50 in mine too. I'm running 2200 25-35c (I think). I tested it and can't remember the exact number but I'm thinking it was like 38. Not sure why I remember that number but I know it wasn't anywhere near 50. Or over for that mater.
tenspeed is offline Find More Posts by tenspeed
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:38 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
I put a 50 in mine too. I'm running 2200 25-35c (I think). I tested it and can't remember the exact number but I'm thinking it was like 38. Not sure why I remember that number but I know it wasn't anywhere near 50. Or over for that mater.
60amp, are needed in case you want to go for a 4S lipo

Tchuss

e_lm_70

edit: As well, location of ESC is important, I put mine in the airflow from the two top air intake ... it I recall right stock ESC location was not having any ventilation
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:34 AM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post

Tchuss

e_lm_70

edit: As well, location of ESC is important, I put mine in the airflow from the two top air intake ... it I recall right stock ESC location was not having any ventilation
i fly with a 70/80 amp esc below the top red intakes
m_ark is offline Find More Posts by m_ark
Old Jun 27, 2012, 04:45 AM
Just an Earth bound misfit - I
Canada, ON, L'Orignal
Joined Nov 2010
1,104 Posts
Just put in one of these and you'll never have to worry about your ESC again. It's light (for it's size) has a 5 amp bec and is absolutely bomb proof. I have several of these for a few years in different jets and they never give me any issues.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...w_5A_SBEC.html
vanderbrander is offline Find More Posts by vanderbrander
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:06 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderbrander View Post
Just put in one of these and you'll never have to worry about your ESC again. It's light (for it's size) has a 5 amp bec and is absolutely bomb proof. I have several of these for a few years in different jets and they never give me any issues.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...w_5A_SBEC.html
WOW ...it cost almost as the PNF kit

After too many failure from Stock ESC, I did move to this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C_4A_UBEC.html

It is working without problem ... for less then half price

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: Stock has 2 servos ... so 5amp BEC is not really needed ... even if you change to 3 servos ...anyhow. my cheap ESC had 4amp BEC
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:39 AM
Canada, MB
Joined Feb 2012
505 Posts
I am considering the T-45 as my trainer EDF Jet.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12942

I know that there are lots of motor/fan unit mods/options on here, but I want to hear from those running the stock PNP model motor/edf using a 3S 2200mah battery (as I have many of those). I will upgrade the ESC.

So those flying or have flown with the stock motor/edf, running 2200mah 3S batteries:

1. Does it fly well? Some report that it doesn't fly at all, others say it flies fine...

2. I am not looking for big speed, but what kind of top end does the stock set up have with 3S?

3. What kind of flight time using this 3S setup?

4. I see that some have used 4S batteries, but will the stock motor handle that (with an upgraded ESC of course)?

I hope that I can test EDF's out for little expense to see if I like them...so I don't want to purchase different batteries or motors/edf units to start off.

At $70 + ESC if the stock set up is good for training with a 3S, then there is nothing to lose in trying it...if I have to purchase the kit and purchase motor/edf, and different batteries, then I need to consider all my options (and get Mrs. Boss's stamp of approval).
Flying By is offline Find More Posts by Flying By
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:46 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying By View Post

I know that there are lots of motor/fan unit mods/options on here, but I want to hear from those running the stock PNP model motor/edf using a 3S 2200mah battery (as I have many of those). I will upgrade the ESC.

So those flying or have flown with the stock motor/edf, running 2200mah 3S batteries:

1. Does it fly well? Some report that it doesn't fly at all, others say it flies fine...

2. I am not looking for big speed, but what kind of top end does the stock set up have with 3S?

4. I see that some have used 4S batteries, but will the stock motor handle that (with an upgraded ESC of course)?

I hope that I can test EDF's out for little expense to see if I like them...so I don't want to purchase different batteries or motors/edf units to start off.

At $70 + ESC if the stock set up is good for training with a 3S, then there is nothing to lose in trying it...if I have to purchase the kit and purchase motor/edf, and different batteries, then I need to consider all my options (and get Mrs. Boss's stamp of approval).
I did order my PNF T.45 64mm around 1y ago, so maybe what they are sending now is a bit better ...

I never flown it stock ... but I made from day 1 the dual ailerons

I flown stock ESC and motor many times ... but ... randomly at start up, after few seconds, the ESC was sort of making a reset, so did switch off power, luckily BEC was all time working.

This problem was reported by many people ... eventually I manage to take off with partial throttle .. eventually, putting back the stick to low position, you can re-arm the ESC ... so only 1 or 2 second of off power ...

Anyhow, old ESC was risky to be used ... and eventually I trashed it.

Motor and EDF are good.

On 3S, stock speed is decent ... and you get 3m20s of full power with 2200 3S ... and almost 4m full power with 2850 3S (this still fit in the stock battery slot)

Also, have a look of the elevator servo, mine came unglued after 1 flight ... anyhow, after 10/15 flights I notice it is not accurate anymore.

So, in my case: From the PNP solution ... ESC has been removed, and so the 2 servos are gone for 3 good servos.

Considering the little difference in price between ARF and PNF, I think PNF solution still make sense

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: As we speak, it is possible that the ESC used in the new PNF are not faulty as the old one ...
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:52 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
I purchased the kit version, then added this $40 4s EDF unit.

Link- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...v_45A_ESC.html

Its not overly fast, so I suspect the stock setup would be quite slow. I think you need the extra power to get out of trouble with these jets. If you want an EDF that flies slow without to much of a stall worry then consider the F9F Panther.

Link- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11407

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Jun 27, 2012, 05:06 PM
no more glow models for me!!!!
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
you may be right at the upper limit of that 50 amp e.s.c...my hawk pulls 47 amps , but i'm running 4 cells
the other issue is venting your e.s.c. try to get a nice airflow over and around it, believe it or not, that makes a real difference..
i have an e.d.f. 64mm warbird, Me182, when it was stock it only pulled 25 amps so i figured the stock 30 amp esc was good to go, but it was buried in the fuse, and got no air. and you guessed it, the first hot day i flew it, it smoked.... i didn't lose the plane, and replaced the e.s.c. with another 30 amp, but i made sure the airflow around it was unobstructed and large enough for the job, now that is one of my favorite planes to fly
iflyrc1012 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrc1012
Old Jun 27, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Aug 2010
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post

Tchuss

e_lm_70

Upgrading mine is on the "to do" list. It's ok as-is and I have other higher priority things.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:01 PM
Joined Aug 2010
341 Posts
Quote:

Mine is all stock, except I upgraded the esc to a 50amp. I run 3s 2200's. It's not rocket fast. And is slower then my HZ Supercub. The SC is modded and has an eflite park 480. But it's slightly faster then the stock PZ Corsair. At least that's the way it seems to me. At 2 minutes I start looking to land. Although I play it safe and after landing (at 2:30 min.) I have around 3.85 v per cell. I fly at 3/4 to WOT sometimes. At half throttle it seems (to me) to just have enough airspeed to stay aloft. On the stock set up it flies good. I'm happy with it. And it isn't that much harder to fly then any of my other planes.

Hope this helps
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:01 PM
Canada, MB
Joined Feb 2012
505 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for all the great info so far. Currently leaning towards the PNF version just to get my feet wet.

Any recent purchases where you are receiving the 50A ESC with the model?

When I read "It's not rocket fast. And is slower then my HZ Supercub." I almost stopped, but read on that the SC was modded. I hope it wouldn't be slower than my good ol stock Super Cub.

Do you think this model would fly 45-50 mph on stock setup with a 3S? (with upgraded ESC).
Flying By is offline Find More Posts by Flying By
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:38 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,907 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for all the great info so far. Currently leaning towards the PNF version just to get my feet wet.

Any recent purchases where you are receiving the 50A ESC with the model?

When I read "It's not rocket fast. And is slower then my HZ Supercub." I almost stopped, but read on that the SC was modded. I hope it wouldn't be slower than my good ol stock Super Cub.

Do you think this model would fly 45-50 mph on stock setup with a 3S? (with upgraded ESC).
I think stock does easy 45mph
It make loops from level without problem
Personally I did not feel the need to go 4s so far

Tchuss

E_lm_70
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:55 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined May 2011
157 Posts
I fly on 3s and it's on par with my pz spitfire, so I say it's doing about 60 flat and level, also it was my first successful edf after a couple of trash ones I picked up at bh, one of them was an a-10 that flew with a ni-mh. It took 200 ft to rotate and then immediately stalled and crashed.... Never buy from bh.
giantkevmiester is offline Find More Posts by giantkevmiester
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:57 PM
no more glow models for me!!!!
bklyn n.y.
Joined Jan 2008
881 Posts
it's a jet......it was born to go fast... yes it slows down well for landing, but on 4 cells,
this plane gets up on step, and grooves thru the turns.
iflyrc1012 is offline Find More Posts by iflyrc1012