SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 15, 2011, 07:51 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1,107 Posts
Gents, I am late to the party, really late. My T45 is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

From reading bits and pieces of this thread it seems as though:

An aileron mod of some kind MUST be done
People have been getting different ESCs with this model
Even those lucky enough to get the 50amp ESC are still treated to magic smoke when used on 4S

Anything else i should know or be corrected about?

P.S. This is why i placed my order,

214 km/h SAPAC T-45 Goshawk EDF JET from Hobbyking (4 min 59 sec)

can anyone confirm or have similar results?
nighthawk0077 is offline Find More Posts by nighthawk0077
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2011, 08:28 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk0077 View Post
Gents, I am late to the party, really late. My T45 is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

From reading bits and pieces of this thread it seems as though:

An aileron mod of some kind MUST be done
People have been getting different ESCs with this model
Even those lucky enough to get the 50amp ESC are still treated to magic smoke when used on 4S

Anything else i should know or be corrected about?

P.S. This is why i placed my order,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgZasRg4VdU

can anyone confirm or have similar results?
177kmph Dopplered average on 3 iphones using 4S stock motor/fan, thrust tube, no gear in a flat level pass no dive.

Probably could of gone faster with a dive.

PS. You will get magic smoke on 3S as well, ditch it and go 80amp and 4S and dual aileron servos in the stock servo pocket.
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old Dec 15, 2011, 08:36 PM
Just an Earth bound misfit - I
Canada, ON, L'Orignal
Joined Nov 2010
1,104 Posts
Yeap 214kmph is not really a true indication of this jet's speed. Just watch the video - the 214 was achieved in a vertical screaming dive.

The T-45 is a draggy airframe and this one is no exception. It will never be blistering fast.

Having said that - it's a really nice little jet and flies easy on 3S and is loads of fun tricked out on 4S.

Enjoy.
vanderbrander is offline Find More Posts by vanderbrander
Old Dec 15, 2011, 08:51 PM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderbrander View Post
Yeap 214kmph is not really a true indication of this jet's speed. Just watch the video - the 214 was achieved in a vertical screaming dive.

The T-45 is a draggy airframe and this one is no exception. It will never be blistering fast.

Having said that - it's a really nice little jet and flies easy on 3S and is loads of fun tricked out on 4S.

Enjoy.
Spot on Vander. I was dissapointed with the speed of mine on 6s. I haven't measured the speed yet. I would be surprised if it is anything near 200 kph. The airframe is the limiting factor, but it is a fantastic plane that is lots of fun to fly. Run it on 4s and enjoy it for what it is.

I was thinking of trying one of the new windrider70mm 10 blade fans with my 6s motor but running 4s. This might give a really scale jet sound with only a small drop in performance.

If you are looking for a fast jet, get a HK stinger. I have one running a cheap HK 4s setup with half the power of the hawk and it is alot faster than the hawk.

160.3 mile/h ( 257.9 km/h ) Stinger 64 edf mod. "Still in one Piece" (6 min 1 sec)
crasha is offline Find More Posts by crasha
Last edited by crasha; Dec 15, 2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 09:22 PM
Canada, ON, L'Orignal
Joined Nov 2010
1,104 Posts
Yeah I'm up for one of those Stingers. They look like cheap thrills.

I picked up one of these 10 blade units from extreme RC for my Viper.
http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...oducts_id=1102

It's 70mm but I did manage to squeezed a wemo mini in the T-45 with a bit of foam bashing, so I'm sure it could be done. On 6S it makes 2.1kg thrust. I doubt it would make the T-45 any faster, it's just not designed for it - but boy would it go vertical!!!
Old Dec 15, 2011, 09:39 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,644 Posts
I Picked up a Meteor and a Habu.

Just ordered a 5S battery for the meteor so will be doing some speed tests maybe after Xmas see what sort of speed I can coax out of it
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:14 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,040 Posts
I'm theorizing that this jet can be made even faster by reducing the thickness of the wing and reducing the size of the inlets, but the downsides are a reduction of lift, and thrust at lower speeds.
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:50 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined May 2011
157 Posts
got the pnp version today after much thought, going to maiden it soon.
giantkevmiester is offline Find More Posts by giantkevmiester
Old Dec 16, 2011, 05:47 AM
Joined May 2011
49 Posts
If you are looking for speed, the best answer is the stinger in the cheap line of the edf.
The T-45 is a good low wing edf trainer, with 4s the plane is very fast, but no a SR-71.
it's just my opinion,does not make sense to modify structure and aerodynamics,too much work!!!!....i prefer buy the stinger!!
Leojet is offline Find More Posts by Leojet
Old Dec 16, 2011, 05:53 AM
I don't want to land yet!
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
I have both and fly them for what they are... the T45 looks great in the air, especially in formation with a couple of other mates alongside.... it doesn't need to be a speed machine!
Strike3 is offline Find More Posts by Strike3
Old Dec 16, 2011, 06:59 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,040 Posts
Yes, the plane flies just fine as-is, but since dropping in a new motor or bigger battery yields diminishing returns, just suggesting a few other avenues of approach, especially for those who professed a "need for speed" earlier in this thread lol
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:00 AM
Joined Oct 2009
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crasha View Post
Spot on Vander. I was dissapointed with the speed of mine on 6s. I haven't measured the speed yet. I would be surprised if it is anything near 200 kph. The airframe is the limiting factor, but it is a fantastic plane that is lots of fun to fly. Run it on 4s and enjoy it for what it is.

I was thinking of trying one of the new windrider70mm 10 blade fans with my 6s motor but running 4s. This might give a really scale jet sound with only a small drop in performance.

If you are looking for a fast jet, get a HK stinger. I have one running a cheap HK 4s setup with half the power of the hawk and it is alot faster than the hawk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPtJ-n3zW74
Thanks for that link, no idea someone had a Stinger going that quick.

I actually already have one. Flew it on 3S during the summer/fall and now I'm waiting for this combo to arrive so I can have some more fun with it :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11166

I don't need something ultra fast, just something quicker than the 80mph stuff I currently fly. It's good to know 110mph-ish is possible on the stock T45 motor/fan setup on 4S.

But nothing sounds like the one on the lander setup.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:59 AM
Canada, ON, L'Orignal
Joined Nov 2010
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for that link, no idea someone had a Stinger going that quick.

I actually already have one. Flew it on 3S during the summer/fall and now I'm waiting for this combo to arrive so I can have some more fun with it :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11166

I don't need something ultra fast, just something quicker than the 80mph stuff I currently fly. It's good to know 110mph-ish is possible on the stock T45 motor/fan setup on 4S.

But nothing sounds like the one on the lander setup.
One of these is going to make it sound really nice

http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...oducts_id=1103

If you are more budget conscious however - one of these motors in a GWS fan is the most efficient 64mm setup I've seen with good thrust/speed. That's what's going in my next T-45.

http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...oducts_id=1103
Old Dec 16, 2011, 03:04 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1,107 Posts
hmm interesting, that is almost too quiet. Still prefer the Lander sound though. Sounds like a Jetcat P160, which is absurd for a 64mm fan unit..

PS you posted the same link twice
Old Dec 16, 2011, 07:11 PM
Canada, ON, L'Orignal
Joined Nov 2010
1,104 Posts
Quote:
hmm interesting, that is almost too quiet. Still prefer the Lander sound though. Sounds like a Jetcat P160, which is absurd for a 64mm fan unit..

PS you posted the same link twice
Here's the link to the motor.

http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...roducts_id=622