HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2011, 09:59 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by short_circuit View Post
Just received my kit. I see that theres no markings on the ESC, just a black heatshrink tube.

Is this still the 30A or is it higher than that?
Doesn't matter, just toss it out (or use it on an expendable foamie). The ESC that come with the T-45 are woefully underpowered and have a high chance of costing you your plane (read through the thread for examples).
V-Man is offline Find More Posts by V-Man
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying how close?
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2011, 10:52 PM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,643 Posts
Standard T45 Mods.

1) Toss the stock ESC
2) Install 60amp Plush if staying on 3S or 80amp Plush if going to 4S (Stock motor and fan can handle 4S)
3) Dual Aileron Servo's (Not hard widen the stock single aileron servo hole for 2 servos)
4) Add Rudder.

Thats about it, you can do more but they are the standard ones.
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:11 PM
I don't want to land yet!
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
Onya cloaked... beat me to it
5)To add to that... not required but improves the control surface movement, slice them off and use hinges or tape so they move more freely.
6)You can also add a thrust tube... again not req'd but helps.
7)Main wing spar if you are going to load it up in manoeuvres with heavier 4s batteries.
8)Use some FG tape or similar on wing joints and tailplane assembly... for better strength, don't rely solely on the little screw mounts.
9)If you're gonna belly land or take off from grass, add some FG tape to the bottom of the fuse...
10)If you are going 4s with large batteries cut the battery tray top out and the back bulkhead to allow movement of battery for CoG balance....

I think that just about covers it, of course you can do your own stuff like bigger power systems etc. It is such a great versatile airframe, I have had cameras all over it and even out the back on a boom... it handles it all very well...

One other thing if you do the dual aileron servo mod... make them flaperons and mix some elevator in for better takeoff and landing capability... she floats forever!

Cheers,
Dave.
Strike3 is offline Find More Posts by Strike3
Old Dec 05, 2011, 09:11 PM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
255 Posts
Been doing a bit of flight testing with the testbed hawk. This thing really handles the extra weight well. I have learnt that it still floats in with a headwind, but crosswind landing are a disaster I just can not slow it down and it takes almost the full length of our runway to stop. Hopefully flaps will help, a rudder is on the list of urgent mods as well.

I will have to post some vid of the crosswind tests to give give you all a laugh

For now here's a bit of flying and cross/headwind touch and go's.

Modded Hobbyking T-45 with Extreme RC 64mm Alloy fan.mpg (1 min 41 sec)
crasha is offline Find More Posts by crasha
Old Dec 05, 2011, 10:12 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Apr 2011
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crasha View Post
Been doing a bit of flight testing with the testbed hawk. This thing really handles the extra weight well. I have learnt that it still floats in with a headwind, but crosswind landing are a disaster I just can not slow it down and it takes almost the full length of our runway to stop. Hopefully flaps will help, a rudder is on the list of urgent mods as well.

I will have to post some vid of the crosswind tests to give give you all a laugh

For now here's a bit of flying and cross/headwind touch and go's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqzkV60sUAQ
awesome stu looks great
jeta1 is offline Find More Posts by jeta1
Old Dec 05, 2011, 10:49 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crasha View Post
BI just can not slow it down and it takes almost the full length of our runway to stop. Hopefully flaps will help, a rudder is on the list of urgent mods as well.
Until you get the flaps installed, you can try what the shuttle did to slow down - execute a series of S-turns to bleed off speed.
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Dec 06, 2011, 11:46 PM
Joined Jan 2011
24 Posts
Im not so experienced in this hobby yet.

How do I connect the servos if I wanted the steerable nose wheel servo to move together with the rudder servo (which I added)?
short_circuit is offline Find More Posts by short_circuit
Old Dec 07, 2011, 12:18 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,899 Posts
You can 1) use a Y-cable, or 2) program a mix in the transmitter to mirror the steering to an available channel.
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Dec 07, 2011, 12:51 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
Awesome stuff crasha... looks great and flies even better!
Old Dec 07, 2011, 06:01 AM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike3 View Post
Awesome stuff crasha... looks great and flies even better!
Thanks Strike, but I must admit it wasn't all smooth sailing. This video shows my landing stuff ups as well

The vid quality isn't up to your high standards , but I am slowly learning how to edit etc.. Just need to find a camera man with smaller thumbs

Fortunately the hawk survived my wrath. Just need to glue the tyres on!

The HK dsr retracts can really take a pounding!!

Anyone know anything about getting a doppler reading, I am keen to see how fast she is.

Hobbyking T-45 crosswind landing fails.mpg (1 min 25 sec)
crasha is offline Find More Posts by crasha
Old Dec 07, 2011, 06:04 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
You could try RCSpeedo on an iPhone... download the app.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 05:34 AM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,643 Posts
Thought you guys might enjoy this.

SAPAC/HK T45 Lap around the Park.. (4 min 5 sec)
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old Dec 11, 2011, 02:27 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined May 2011
157 Posts
i want to get this so i have a few questions, how well does it fly stock, cna you hand launch, how long are the takeoffs WOT with gear, how slow can it go, and is it floaty. and can it takeoff/ landing area is a baseball diamond.
giantkevmiester is offline Find More Posts by giantkevmiester
Old Dec 11, 2011, 03:17 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Mar 2011
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloaked View Post
Thought you guys might enjoy this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaEjV0n-_wI
Hi Cloaked

Nice video mate,which park are you flying in ?
Force10 is offline Find More Posts by Force10
Old Dec 11, 2011, 03:19 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
Can't tell you about stock but it is definitely a floater, you could easily fly on a baseball diamond... I was doing low level circuits of our field yesterday with hardly any throttle... Very easy to fly!