HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:00 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,243 Posts
The whole video was over 14 minutes long. I flew for 3 minutes first time when the cam wasn't set right too....

I can see in the vid the directions I was flying as you guys called the turns to get me back home. I need to be able to see more of the ground under the jet - that canopy blocked what I usually can see when it was mounted on the Moth. I simply couldn't see the field at all.

It was a 5000mah 40C 4S lipo.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:20 AM
Joined Aug 2011
808 Posts
Wow now watching the video i can understand how Strike3 looked like a mouse cursor. you did an excellent job of following him, especially when he disappears through the houses.
jim350 is online now Find More Posts by jim350
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:37 AM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
563 Posts
hmmm, FPV dogfighting T-45's - anyone? haha
m_ark is offline Find More Posts by m_ark
Old Nov 28, 2011, 03:42 AM
I don't want to land yet!
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
Might need some bright strobing LED's to make them more visible
Strike3 is offline Find More Posts by Strike3
Old Nov 28, 2011, 04:35 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,243 Posts
I got my xenon strobe I made for my Hawk sitting on the bench still... time to install it?
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Nov 28, 2011, 04:45 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Mar 2011
220 Posts
Hi guys
Just got new t45 last week and have done all the mods ailerons rudder flaps and so on but really need some help before I go for my first flight as this is my first EDF can someone please tell me how much movement should I have on my elevator I think I'm not getting enough may be somewhere between 5 to 10 degrees is there any way I can increase that. Rest of the control surfaces have enough movement

Any help or tips will be much appreciated
Force10 is offline Find More Posts by Force10
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:04 PM
Gravity sucks.
Joined Mar 2011
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Force10 View Post
Hi guys
Just got new t45 last week and have done all the mods ailerons rudder flaps and so on but really need some help before I go for my first flight as this is my first EDF can someone please tell me how much movement should I have on my elevator I think I'm not getting enough may be somewhere between 5 to 10 degrees is there any way I can increase that. Rest of the control surfaces have enough movement

Any help or tips will be much appreciated
elevator control surface is increased by moving the control link closer to the base of the control surface horn and farther from the root of the servo horn, deflection is measured more often in millimetres than degrees - I'm not sure off the top of my head but my elevator deflection is something like +/- 8mm at the trailing edge of the control surface.

i also run with a generous dose of exponential - like 20-30% centre stick deadening. - i find that i don't have to fly with dual rates setup this way.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 06:10 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Mar 2011
220 Posts
Thanks for your reply m_ark I think I have the control horns mounted at the right position but just to double check please see picture below and total deflection in mm is about 5mm is that enough if not I tried increasing the length of the control rod but im already on maximum i dont understand what is that i m doing wrong
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:58 PM
Just an Earth bound misfit - I
Canada, ON, L'Orignal
Joined Nov 2010
1,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Force10 View Post
Thanks for your reply m_ark I think I have the control horns mounted at the right position but just to double check please see picture below and total deflection in mm is about 5mm is that enough if not I tried increasing the length of the control rod but im already on maximum i dont understand what is that i m doing wrong
Take a photo of your elevator servo installation. Looking at your photo, the pushrod linkages are all the way out - I have a feeling you may have installed the elevator servo the wrong way around.

I can't check on mine at the moment (packed up for my move) but I'm pretty sure the servo output spline needs to be toward the tail, not toward the nose.

Maybe someone else can jump in and confirm?

Other than that, if the servo linkage is on the last hole of the servo arm and the elevator linkage is on the 2nd last hole of the elevator arm, you will have plenty of throw with your rates set at 100%.

I'm like M_ARK, I fly with 30% expo and no dual rates on elevator.
vanderbrander is online now Find More Posts by vanderbrander
Old Nov 28, 2011, 09:40 PM
Gravity sucks.
Joined Mar 2011
563 Posts
the control horns are in the right position but in my limited experience i might suggest you have them the wrong way around? If you turn them 180 degrees they will be closer by about 5mm to the servo, and give better clearance to the control arm when activated.
Something else to consider is hinging the control surface at the contol horn.

You said this was your first EDF - is it also your first rc jet?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 03:08 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Mar 2011
220 Posts
Thanks guys for you help I will post the picture of my servo installation tonight.M_ark I have Trojan t28d that I have been flying for a while but before that I was flying heli( blade 450) but this is the first jet that I have bought in kit format and assembled it my self and I know I have lot of learning to do
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:55 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Mar 2011
220 Posts
Thank you M_ark i turned the servo horns around 180 degrees and it is working fine now getting enough movement .Thanks Vanderbrander for your input
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:55 AM
Patras, Greece
Joined May 2007
1,291 Posts
Hi Force10.
You have to take a look to your elevator horn.
The clevis pin has to be at the level of the hinge line. If all horns at 90 deg, than you should have equal up and down movement.
Takis
takiss is offline Find More Posts by takiss
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:38 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Mar 2011
220 Posts
Hi Takiss

Thanks for your response could you please explain little bit more as how to get Clavis pin in line with the hinge line. I'm also considering building whole horizontal stabilizer and elevators with balsa wood would that work?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:55 AM
I don't want to land yet!
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
The linkage where your rod fixes to the control horn should be as close as possible to the point where the surface pivots... then you can get full movement. Imagine for example that you have the clevis pin at the very back edge of the elevator surface, with full servo movement the deflection will only be small...
Balsa would work but why... the stock ones are fine.
Strike3 is offline Find More Posts by Strike3