Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:52 AM
I don't want to land yet!
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
Was actually thinking of making a tow line with a carbon rod and a dart-like set of fins and mount the keychain camera on that... hmmm, or maybe some other views of the whole jet by having wire hang far enough behind it... got some work to do on that one...
Strike3 is offline Find More Posts by Strike3
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2011, 01:25 AM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike3 View Post
Was actually thinking of making a tow line with a carbon rod and a dart-like set of fins and mount the keychain camera on that... hmmm, or maybe some other views of the whole jet by having wire hang far enough behind it... got some work to do on that one...
what about a wide angle lens and install it in the rudder? - like the comp. full size pylon planes...
m_ark is offline Find More Posts by m_ark
Old Nov 15, 2011, 09:01 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
Will give this a go on the weekend if the weather is nice...

Name: Hawk-Cam.jpg
Views: 161
Size: 238.4 KB
Description:

Name: Hawk-Cam-view.jpg
Views: 101
Size: 108.2 KB
Description:

A piece of hollow aluminium tubing with 2 x 1.5mm carbon rods to make it more rigid...
Old Nov 16, 2011, 02:52 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Will give this a go on the weekend if the weather is nice...

Attachment 4420360

Attachment 4420361

A piece of hollow aluminium tubing with 2 x 1.5mm carbon rods to make it more rigid...
How did you fix the cam to the aluminium tube ?
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Nov 16, 2011, 04:12 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
The tube is flattened out and I have velcro stuck to it... will probably have a rubber band around it also.. it feels really sturdey so we will see how it goes!
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:36 AM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
255 Posts
Quote:
The tube is flattened out and I have velcro stuck to it... will probably have a rubber band around it also.. it feels really sturdey so we will see how it goes!
Looks great Strike3. Keep the vids coming

Maidened my hawk on 6s today. Not as fast as I expected. BUT it had heaps of thrust and unlimited vertical.

I am amazed at how well these things fly. Super stabe and floats in nicely for landing even at 1500 grams with 6s battery and retracts.

I will post some vid soon.
crasha is offline Find More Posts by crasha
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:53 PM
Joined Nov 2011
303 Posts
Thanks Master e_lm_70

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
It should work fine ... not sure you can stick the heli motor on the EDF unit, but if you can ... the power is enough for make it fly ok ... nothing super fast, but decent

Tchuss

e_lm_70
THank you for the response, i feel more comfortable now. my parcel is coming up next week. Can't wait
dhonwyn is offline Find More Posts by dhonwyn
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:13 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Apr 2011
73 Posts
Awesome flying crasha best i have seen so far and great job on the hawk mods ,was great to fly when you handed over to me, cant wait till we get our raaf hawks up and flying so we can do our formation .
jeta1 is offline Find More Posts by jeta1
Old Nov 17, 2011, 02:29 PM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
255 Posts
Here's the vid of my hawk maiden with the extreme rc 64mm alloy fan on 6s.

This is the first of 3 hawks Jet-A1 and I are building. It is a test bed and was built close to stock to use as a baseline to see the benefits in the mods that will follow.

So far the mods are

-New fan unit
-MG-14 metal gear servos for the elevator and aileron (in stock locations)
-HK dsr retracts with 7075 suspension strus hot glued into the foam (Super dodgy, but that is intentional so I can see what I can get away with)
-1 6mm carbon strip in the wings and 2 x 3mm carbon strips in each stab
-stabs angled down by hot glueing a piece of balsa underneath to give the angle.
-All hardware upgraded to Du-bro (2-56 ball links for the elevator, 2-56 quick links for the ailerons)
-Fibreglass nosecone

I had to fly very carefully for the maiden because I was using the stock hardware to hold the wings on and was bit worried that it might not hold up. The maiden was just to prove that it could fly. Now that we have a baseline we can start the mods in full swing.

Big thanks to Trudge for shooting, editing and posting the video.

Stu's T-45 Maiden at Whiteman Park (5 min 40 sec)

Here's the second flight with Jet-A1 flying the 90mm freewing F-18 and Crasha flying the hawk testbed. Unfortunately we lost the F-18 later that day due to a brownout. It's a shame because these 2 jets are of a similar scale size to each other. The hawk was flying on about 1/2 throttle compared to the F18's wot, this made formation flying a bit tricky

Duelling Jets - Whiteman Park (5 min 54 sec)
Last edited by crasha; Nov 17, 2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:17 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Apr 2011
73 Posts
Great flight crash that hawk when finished is going to be the bench mark....
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:39 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
Man... that Hawk gets along very nicely with that motor/fan combo... impressive!
What size 6s batt did you have in it?
Well done guys... pity about the brownout in the F18.
Cool looking runway you got there too!
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:08 AM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
255 Posts
Quote:
Man... that Hawk gets along very nicely with that motor/fan combo... impressive!
What size 6s batt did you have in it?
Well done guys... pity about the brownout in the F18.
Cool looking runway you got there too!
Thanks Strike for the positive comments.

The battery is a turnigy 30c 3000 6s, I time the flights for 4 min. and each cell comes down to about 3.7v. I use the same batteries in my 1.8m Extra260 and Trex 500. I time them both for 6 min. Might be time to order some more

I was dissapointed with the speed at first, but I still have to add a thrust tube and inlet ducting as well as gear doors etc, so hopefully she can gain a few extra knots. I will have to hook up my eagle tree airspeed sensor next time to see how fast it's going.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 03:56 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Apr 2011
73 Posts
Hey strike would be good if all of us could do a formation fly by if we were all in the same place that is ......... may be if you guys ever came to perth you could bring your hawks to the flying feild we use.
Regards,
Rob........
Old Nov 18, 2011, 02:59 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,182 Posts
...as long as we can all freeload a place to sleep at your house!...

As for speed - the Hawk will never be a speedie model - it's just not shaped for it. The faster you want to go, the multiples of power you have to add to get it there. Fly it for what it is - a Navy trainer.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Nov 18, 2011, 04:29 PM
Canada, ON, Greater Sudbury
Joined Nov 2011
111 Posts
Woww, what a long read...
Sooo much info here, 3 days to read. Still have a few questions

This is my first plane, 64mm t45. Getting it this week. Don't want to fly with stock esc which for some reason lists as a 30amp. I thought the new ones were 50A. It's an epo version.
1. Do I purchase an esc with a bec or not, if its easy to install and better I will, just a noob and I'd rather not stare at the wires for a week and not know where to put them. I figure a 60a version, plush or turnigy would be okay??
2. Try the stock 1500 mah 3s battery or not chance an underpowered noobi stall, I considered 2200 3s or should I jump into the 4s series. For now I will run the stock 4000kv motor. It say it's an inrunner motor, does that sound right? Thanks for reading and I'll take any thoughts as golden...
Can't wait to take her out...waiting sucks...
3. One last ? Can I just use the rtf radio or is that also gonna crash me, I'm not cheap or anything, but this rtf plane is going to add up before I even figure out if I can get this thing in the air, haha. Would a 100$ radio be a major upgrade??
firedawg1998 is offline Find More Posts by firedawg1998
Last edited by firedawg1998; Nov 18, 2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: added too