HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2011, 09:25 PM
I don't want to land yet!
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
It will slow the glide down for you and reduce the landing distance... Flare with elevator for a nice smooth touchdown...
Strike3 is offline Find More Posts by Strike3
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2011, 07:30 PM
Just an Earth bound misfit - I
Canada, ON, L'Orignal
Joined Nov 2010
1,066 Posts
Flaps on this little beauty??!! Geeze guys - how much slower do you want this thing to fly??
vanderbrander is offline Find More Posts by vanderbrander
Old Nov 02, 2011, 07:42 PM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderbrander View Post
Flaps on this little beauty??!! Geeze guys - how much slower do you want this thing to fly??
slower AND faster
landings and top speed respectively
m_ark is offline Find More Posts by m_ark
Old Nov 03, 2011, 01:27 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
Quote:
^ ditto... What m_ark said ^

Making the ailerons work as flaperons makes no difference to the look of the plane at all... just makes it more versatile in my opinion. If you have a smaller field you are flying from you need to stop the thing, it can glide forever if you don't have a breeze to slow you down...
Old Nov 03, 2011, 02:32 AM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,643 Posts
Quote:
Once your T45 is hitting 171 kmph straight and level (un confirmed doppler, more tests this weekend).

Landing becomes......interesting.

The Flaperons are a god send, I now only slide about 1/4 of a football field instead of the whole field now.
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old Nov 03, 2011, 04:48 AM
Gravity sucks.
Joined Mar 2011
557 Posts
Do-over?

Ok, so my 2nd HK 64mm hawk arrived. Now I have an opportunity to do/build/finish things differently and I want to start it out right.

The glue job wasn't great, so I split it down the middle and gutted the entire thing.

Besides all the mods we've discussed, is there anything you would recommend doing differently or better second time around?

Mods already discussed:
Tail rudder
Dual-ailerons
battery tray
REPLACE STOCK ESC
Ducting
retracts
Last edited by m_ark; Nov 03, 2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2011, 08:10 AM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined May 2009
336 Posts
Mine is up for sale, need the cash for other projects. She runs about 90mph. Make me an offer.......

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1531564
gapple12 is offline Find More Posts by gapple12
Old Nov 04, 2011, 07:27 PM
Canada, ON, L'Orignal
Joined Nov 2010
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_ark View Post
Ok, so my 2nd HK 64mm hawk arrived. Now I have an opportunity to do/build/finish things differently and I want to start it out right.

The glue job wasn't great, so I split it down the middle and gutted the entire thing.

Besides all the mods we've discussed, is there anything you would recommend doing differently or better second time around?

Mods already discussed:
Tail rudder
Dual-ailerons
battery tray
REPLACE STOCK ESC
Ducting
retracts
Yeap they are back in stock again (but probably not for long) so I got another one too. I'll do the same as you - incorporate all the goodies and make it right.

All the mods you suggested plus.
Cover the rudder and elevator with packing tape - makes it really strong without adding much weight.
Line the inside of the nose cone with packing tape.
Line the inside of the fwd fuse with packing tape.
Ditch the stock hinges and make packing tape hinges (by now you can probably tell I love packing tape on foamies).
The ducting mod and battery tray I posted worked really well. Not only does it clean up the airflow in the ducts but also makes a lot more room for bigger packs (if you want) and more aft CG.
Keep it light - I'm going to use a 64mm fan, 4S 2200mah and ERC 2445-3700kv motor from extreme RC (Aus) http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...roducts_id=622
The motor is super efficient on 3S or 4S (under 40amps) and produces excellent thrust figures (up to 1200g) with a GWS fan - not bad for a 1.0kg foamie!
Make a thrust tube 52mm exhaust diameter for 64mm fan.
Packing tape re-inforcing for wing leading edge and spar area.
Buy more packing tape when you run out...
Old Nov 04, 2011, 08:06 PM
Gravity sucks.
Joined Mar 2011
557 Posts
Quote:
Yeap they are back in stock again (but probably not for long) so I got another one too. I'll do the same as you - incorporate all the goodies and make it right.

All the mods you suggested plus.
Cover the rudder and elevator with packing tape - makes it really strong without adding much weight.
Line the inside of the nose cone with packing tape.
Line the inside of the fwd fuse with packing tape.
Ditch the stock hinges and make packing tape hinges (by now you can probably tell I love packing tape on foamies).
The ducting mod and battery tray I posted worked really well. Not only does it clean up the airflow in the ducts but also makes a lot more room for bigger packs (if you want) and more aft CG.
Keep it light - I'm going to use a 64mm fan, 4S 2200mah and ERC 2445-3700kv motor from extreme RC (Aus) http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...roducts_id=622
The motor is super efficient on 3S or 4S (under 40amps) and produces excellent thrust figures (up to 1200g) with a GWS fan - not bad for a 1.0kg foamie!
Make a thrust tube 52mm exhaust diameter for 64mm fan.
Packing tape re-inforcing for wing leading edge and spar area.

what about strenthening/smoothing the ducting to reduce duct turbulance?
Old Nov 04, 2011, 09:35 PM
Canada, ON, L'Orignal
Joined Nov 2010
1,066 Posts
Quote:
what about strenthening/smoothing the ducting to reduce duct turbulance?
I did a mod to the duct using depron sheet, or you can use elmers foam board with the paper removed. Worked pretty good. I am getting good speed with as little as 700g of thrust. There's a template posted a while back in this thread.
I'm expecting it to be much better with the new ERC 2445 motor and 1.1-1.2kg of thrust.
It's going to be difficult to smooth the duct - EPO doesn't sand too well. Get's kinda fuzzy. Unless you want to sand the inside to get rid of the mold lines, then apply packing tape to the inside, while you have the two halves apart....that would add strength and if done properly - smoothness too.
Old Nov 04, 2011, 10:11 PM
Gravity sucks.
Joined Mar 2011
557 Posts
Quote:
I did a mod to the duct using depron sheet, or you can use elmers foam board with the paper removed. Worked pretty good. I am getting good speed with as little as 700g of thrust. There's a template posted a while back in this thread.
I'm expecting it to be much better with the new ERC 2445 motor and 1.1-1.2kg of thrust.
It's going to be difficult to smooth the duct - EPO doesn't sand too well. Get's kinda fuzzy. Unless you want to sand the inside to get rid of the mold lines, then apply packing tape to the inside, while you have the two halves apart....that would add strength and if done properly - smoothness too.
i was thinking about lining the duct walls with tape instead of sanding (which i tried ... doesn't work well)
packing tape (standard clear stuff) that i have doesn't adhere to this foam very well... i'm worried about it peeling off and being sucked into the fan - are there tapes with better adhesion properties to this EPO stuff?
Old Nov 05, 2011, 12:50 AM
Bass Cannon kick it! "WUB WUB"
Australia, NSW, Sutherland
Joined Dec 2010
2,643 Posts
Quote:
i was thinking about lining the duct walls with tape instead of sanding (which i tried ... doesn't work well)
packing tape (standard clear stuff) that i have doesn't adhere to this foam very well... i'm worried about it peeling off and being sucked into the fan - are there tapes with better adhesion properties to this EPO stuff?
I use the Scotch Shipping/Packing tape comes in a red dispenser.

Holds half my planes together.
cloaked is offline Find More Posts by cloaked
Old Nov 05, 2011, 06:13 AM
Gravity sucks.
Joined Mar 2011
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloaked View Post
I use the Scotch Shipping/Packing tape comes in a red dispenser.

Holds half my planes together.
duely noted.

I saw in one of strike3's photos (i think?) use of 3M glass fibre weave tape on the duct interior.. - i have that, but it's fairly heavy tape...
Old Nov 05, 2011, 09:46 AM
Canada, ON, L'Orignal
Joined Nov 2010
1,066 Posts
Quote:
duely noted.

I saw in one of strike3's photos (i think?) use of 3M glass fibre weave tape on the duct interior.. - i have that, but it's fairly heavy tape...
Good quality packing tape works well. A couple of brands that come to mine are DUCT heavy duty, Staples crystal clear and 3M.

The fibre re-inforced stuff is too heavy.
Old Nov 05, 2011, 10:23 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
Too heavy.... WHAT? You gotta be kidding, may be a couple of grams.... much stronger than packing tape! It won't bother this airframe in the slightest, it's not a micro... a few grams here and there is nothing