HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2010, 07:26 PM
LBJ
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Nov 2007
702 Posts
Yippee!
Help me ID this plane, Please! ID Found

I'd like to find out exactly what this is so I can find some CG and control throw info. It says Smart-Fly.com on the side, but that site has no planes, just electric flight supplies. It looks like many planes I see now days, but cannot really put a finger on it. I'm gonna hook up an idle G-23 I have sitting around for fun fly and just to fly her around for stick time. Thanks for your help, in advance. LBJ

Specs.
Span 82 inches
Length 72 inches
All built up construction, glass cowl

Looks like some minor work has been done, but never flown.

Or, maybe you have some general specs for this type of bird. I am sure it's not too complicated. CG at 33 percent MAC?

LBJ is offline Find More Posts by LBJ
Last edited by LBJ; Nov 09, 2010 at 06:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2010, 09:11 PM
Lawn Dart Professional
USA, AR, Stuttgart
Joined Jul 2010
1,688 Posts
Im no expert, but this looks close. Maybe an extra? Looks close just different scheme.

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/...AWExtra50.html
abaser is offline Find More Posts by abaser
Old Oct 06, 2010, 10:00 PM
LBJ
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Nov 2007
702 Posts
That's close. I think it's slightly different in the engine mounting area. Prolly be a good guide to putting her togather. Thanks, Abaser. LBJ
Old Oct 14, 2010, 09:21 PM
LBJ
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Nov 2007
702 Posts
These are rough pics as I just finished it tonite. Used an on-hand G-23 I had from an older Chipmunk. Not going to be High Performance 3D stuff, but it will fly it well. Weighs in at 13.5 lb. I need to add 2lb lead to the nose to make up for the intended 50cc engine, no doubt. Still, weighs less than the Chipmunk and should fly pretty well. Not a bad looking plane for an initial $100 at the flying field! Some guy was in some kind of trouble and wanted to sell some stuff so I dropped a bill on it. Should fly it this weekend. Still never found out exactly what it is, but it's built like all the other China stuff.

Some one at the field had left a clear canopy in the FREE box from as crash I suppose and it fit the Extra just fine. I like that look better than the blue tint. It's fairly rough looking, but used some polisher to clean the outside up a bit. 1/4 scale pilot I cut down. I cannot stand any plane without a pilot! Not much, but better than nothing.

I hope this will function as something to take to the field to thrash around for scale flying practice and just something different to fly.

Man, that table is a mess! That's what I'll be doing tomorrow - cleaning up.

Old Oct 14, 2010, 09:30 PM
Lawn Dart Professional
USA, AR, Stuttgart
Joined Jul 2010
1,688 Posts
Whats rough lookin about it? Looks nice to me.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 09:34 PM
LBJ
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Nov 2007
702 Posts
"Rough pics" just meant I didn't have time to take outside and put her in the grass or concrete. Just on that messy work table. That's all.

On the "rough canopy comment," it is ROUGH, but you can't tell it in the pics. I washed it on the inside and out, but didn't help it much. Used some Brasso on the exterior to polish it a bit. Needs that same treatment inside for sure.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 09:42 PM
Lawn Dart Professional
USA, AR, Stuttgart
Joined Jul 2010
1,688 Posts
Rough or not just wish I could come across a deal like that. would love to drop a bill on one.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 09:49 PM
LBJ
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Nov 2007
702 Posts
Abaser, appreciate the comments. Just hang around the field and see what shows up! Just have some jingle in your pocket and it will prolly happen.

Got the last few things taken care of today (Friday 15th Oct) so should be clear to fly her this weekend if I can get out to the field. Engine needs running a bit to set things up again, but the crash of the Chipmunk (engine donor) didn't hurt the engine as it hit a tree with the wing. So, I don't expect too much trouble with that. CG is right on the 33 percent mark with 2 lb lead. Control throws are set with another similar size (78 inch) Extra. That's about it till I fly.
Last edited by LBJ; Oct 15, 2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 08:45 PM
LBJ
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Nov 2007
702 Posts
Flew her today. A bit underpowered, but flew pretty well once on the step. I started with a Zinger 16x8 and only got 7800 rpm out of the G-23. It flew but slow to climb. the guy who flew it for me said to get a APC 16x6 and try that. Man, what a difference. It cranked up to 9325 rpm! what an improvement. I flew the next flight and had a good clean T.O. with good climb out angle, but not overwhelming. Level flight was still at 75 percent power, but worked out OK. It really needs a bigger engine, but I am going to see what I can do to get her flying as well as possible with the G-23. I am taking some lead out of the nose to start with, about 8 ounces, as it was way too nose heavy. This plane lands pretty darn slow and stable all the way down the glideslope. Thanks to Jim Moss for the first flight and trim setup. LBJ
Old Nov 08, 2010, 08:37 PM
The Master of Disaster
Joplin MO
Joined May 2009
168 Posts
Looks likee a extra 260 or mabey a giles 2o2 mod, But I am not sure the manufactured mabey Green models, I can tell you thats a QQ scem on it. good luck should be a great flyer. The smartfly sicker is a particular type of mixing box for your electronics.
Jairoblaster is offline Find More Posts by Jairoblaster
Old Nov 08, 2010, 09:18 PM
LBJ
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Nov 2007
702 Posts
I flew her again and had three good flights out of her. On the last landing, I landed just off the field in the frog hair and hit the ONLY hole in a hundred feet. Cleaned the LG right off. I couldn't believe it. But had her flying the next day. she flies pretty good for a G-23. Prop seldction makes the difference. Flew her with a 15x10 APC and that's prolly about the best I'm gonna get out of that engine. I took off and flew her a bit in the gusty wind, but handed it over to Ed Couch casue I felt like all thumbs that day.

I still am not sure who made this, but that's OK. Flies fine and got the CG worked out. I dropped a full pound out of her vs what I started out with.

Jairoblaster, Thanks for the help in ID'ing her. It's an Extra about 25 percent scale, is about as close as I have gotten.

Just found it! this is a Planes Plus, Inc 27 percent Extra. I found one for sale on RCU and looked it up. Have the plan booklet. Not much, but that's what it is. Modellbau Lindinger company.
http://shop.lindinger.at/pdf/61873.pdf
Last edited by LBJ; Nov 09, 2010 at 06:48 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:36 PM
Joined Jan 2010
477 Posts
yup indeed it is. planes plus/c a models got one for free myself. but it was in good shape till my wife pi$$ed me off one day now the canopy and turtle deck are wrecked. was hoping to sell it for a few bucks but nobody seems to want it.
mshay is offline Find More Posts by mshay
Old Nov 12, 2010, 01:07 PM
LBJ
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Nov 2007
702 Posts
Mshay, you can use just about any other Extra 20-25-27% canopy if you need too. I found an Extra cockpit section left at the field for parts. The wood structure didn't fit as it was a bit too small, but the clear canopy fit great. If it's close to repairable, then hang onto it.

For the money I have in this one, I am pleased. It's not got the performance of a 50cc, but it flies nicely. No bad tendancies and slows down for landing, very stable all the way thru.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 07:24 PM
Joined Jan 2010
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
Mshay, you can use just about any other Extra 20-25-27% canopy if you need too. I found an Extra cockpit section left at the field for parts. The wood structure didn't fit as it was a bit too small, but the clear canopy fit great. If it's close to repairable, then hang onto it.

For the money I have in this one, I am pleased. It's not got the performance of a 50cc, but it flies nicely. No bad tendancies and slows down for landing, very stable all the way thru.
its not that easy. the clear is fine. its the wood that that little clear thing is attached to thats busted up.
mshay is offline Find More Posts by mshay