HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2010, 05:29 PM
USA, FL, Panacea
Joined Sep 2010
137 Posts
Discussion
Belt-driven tail FP helis?

I know a lot of the FP helis on the market have issues with motor driven tails (burning out and performance in general), and some of them have gear stripping issues with shaft driven tails.

So, I am interested in finding a FP with a belt-driven tail. Are there any good ones on the market that come RTF or BNF, or are they all kits? I have seen a HBFP converted using a guru-z belt drive, but I haven't really seen anything else.
APJudson is offline Find More Posts by APJudson
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2010, 05:50 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
This is about it...
http://www.multiplexusa.com/new-products/funcopter.html (I think this is a shaft drive, but it's a single-motor setup)

The cheap FPs with shaft drives strip the gears a lot because it is still a motor-driven fixed-pitch tail, so it goes through hard accelerations and stops. The Funcopter is a variable pitch tail, driven from the main motor, so it's not going to experience the same kind of accelerations and hard stops in the drive system, and it should be made of higher quality materials as well.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 06, 2010, 06:24 PM
USA, FL, Panacea
Joined Sep 2010
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
This is about it...
http://www.multiplexusa.com/new-products/funcopter.html (I think this is a shaft drive, but it's a single-motor setup)

The cheap FPs with shaft drives strip the gears a lot because it is still a motor-driven fixed-pitch tail, so it goes through hard accelerations and stops. The Funcopter is a variable pitch tail, driven from the main motor, so it's not going to experience the same kind of accelerations and hard stops in the drive system, and it should be made of higher quality materials as well.
I have looked into the FC and it is nice, but the cost of it seems to be quite a bit higher than I feel like I should go at this stage in the game.
Old Oct 06, 2010, 06:27 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Yeah it's a little crazy... must be made of gold or something...
Old Oct 06, 2010, 06:52 PM
USA, FL, Panacea
Joined Sep 2010
137 Posts
Are Guru-Z helicopters only kits? I looked them up and I see there is a FP belt drive but I don't even seen it for sale on the website. I have also been told to look into a "wasp" whatever that is.
Old Oct 06, 2010, 08:11 PM
Watching the wingtips
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jul 2010
140 Posts
Skyartec Wasp is what you're looking for I think.
porcupinepower is offline Find More Posts by porcupinepower
Old Oct 06, 2010, 08:13 PM
USA, FL, Panacea
Joined Sep 2010
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupinepower View Post
Skyartec Wasp is what you're looking for I think.
Any experience with this? What about a reputable seller?

If you have experience how would it compare to other FP helis out there already, like a HBFP or a 120 SR in terms of price and handling?
Old Oct 06, 2010, 10:02 PM
Watching the wingtips
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jul 2010
140 Posts
Ive never flown one, I saw the name In another thread about converting a Blade Sr to belt drive, It is a 90 Degree flybar though, so it won't fly like a 120, it most likely flies like a Honey Bee with better tail authority.
porcupinepower is offline Find More Posts by porcupinepower
Old Oct 06, 2010, 11:58 PM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by APJudson View Post
Are Guru-Z helicopters only kits? I looked them up and I see there is a FP belt drive but I don't even seen it for sale on the website. I have also been told to look into a "wasp" whatever that is.
Guru-Z comes as a kit, yes. Complete with fixed-pitch rotor, wooden blades, and belt driven tail, but no motor or electronics. It's got some nice features and is on my short list of should I/shouldn't I. Here is a link to the complete Xeon kit in their ebay store ...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Guru-Z-Xeon-FP-B...item3a549e4637
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
Old Oct 07, 2010, 12:01 PM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
818 Posts
Heli Max

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYVB6&P=0

Heli-Max Novus. RTF. FP with shaft driven tail.
mckolit is offline Find More Posts by mckolit
Old Oct 07, 2010, 03:51 PM
Pontiac my other Obsession
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Jul 2010
719 Posts
Quote:
Any experience with this? What about a reputable seller?

If you have experience how would it compare to other FP helis out there already, like a HBFP or a 120 SR in terms of price and handling?

... the Wasp V2 is what you mentioned and there is one on ebay going cheap!!!!!!!!!! gotta hurry though the auction ends in a couple of hours.
http://cgi.ebay.com/SKYARTEC-WASP-V2...#ht_500wt_1034

I know nothing about it, I just checked when I saw it listed and its a 4 ch bird... here is a link to the description from skyartec... but still no belt driven tail...
http://www.skyartec.com/ProductShow.asp?ArticleID=557

The only Wasp I knew of was the 6ch CP V3 & V4
Pontiaddict is offline Find More Posts by Pontiaddict
Last edited by Pontiaddict; Oct 07, 2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2010, 05:23 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
There is a blade SR belt driven tail kit sold for $85 I believe.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Old Oct 07, 2010, 06:16 PM
USA, FL, Panacea
Joined Sep 2010
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druss View Post
There is a blade SR belt driven tail kit sold for $85 I believe.
If I wanted a CP I would probably just get a B400 instead of converting an SR. I'm not sure if I am ready for a CP just yet.
Old Oct 07, 2010, 06:36 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Quote:
If I wanted a CP I would probably just get a B400 instead of converting an SR. I'm not sure if I am ready for a CP just yet.
CPs fly better... I'm not sure how a person can not be ready for that. It's the prime reason why I support the coax->CP training method - it's cheaper and faster. The mistake most people make is trying to learn the CP too quickly - usually the first thing they do with it is try to hover in ground effect, rather than learning the skills you need to do that first. It is a very simple thing to be successful with a CP - don't ever try anything you aren't prepared to do yet. This can be accomplished with a combination of simulator practice, and old-skool heli training. I firmly believe that you shouldn't have your first crash until you're at least flying around a bit, not ten seconds after you open the box.
Old Oct 07, 2010, 06:40 PM
USA, FL, Panacea
Joined Sep 2010
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
CPs fly better... I'm not sure how a person can not be ready for that. It's the prime reason why I support the coax->CP training method - it's cheaper and faster. The mistake most people make is trying to learn the CP too quickly - usually the first thing they do with it is try to hover in ground effect, rather than learning the skills you need to do that first. It is a very simple thing to be successful with a CP - don't ever try anything you aren't prepared to do yet. This can be accomplished with a combination of simulator practice, and old-skool heli training. I firmly believe that you shouldn't have your first crash until you're at least flying around a bit, not ten seconds after you open the box.
I just don't know if I can figure out what throttle holds are and what that other switch does without destroying something expensive that I don't want to bother rebuilding. I mean, aren't the controls way different than a standard FP? FP controls elevation by throttle like a coax, but CPs use pitch, which makes them seem a lot more dangerous and a lot more likely to explode on me.