SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 24, 2011, 06:51 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,597 Posts
Steve-
Looks great, that looks like the right amount of wiper bend for 75* down and 10* up flaps.
You want to mount them at @ 55* angle to the hinge line, if possible. On the Cyril, I accomplished this by "flipping the servo over", so that the output shaft of the servo was inboard. You need to do that since you can't move the pocket location. That take just a hair longer shaft length at the shallower angle.

I hope to be down there on Sunday to see the Fosa.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2011, 07:11 PM
R/C Soaring "Lifer."
Oceanside, CA
Joined Mar 2006
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlachow View Post
All quiet and covered with snow here....

Not to rub it in, but 73 and sunny here today Hope the nice weather holds through this Sunday's Speed Cup. Mike - book a ticket and come fly with your teammates this weekend!! We'll provide the winches just send your Fosa out.

Poway forecast for Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 72.
stevecondon is offline Find More Posts by stevecondon
Old Jan 24, 2011, 07:13 PM
R/C Soaring "Lifer."
Oceanside, CA
Joined Mar 2006
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
Steve-
Looks great, that looks like the right amount of wiper bend for 75* down and 10* up flaps.
You want to mount them at @ 55* angle to the hinge line, if possible. On the Cyril, I accomplished this by "flipping the servo over", so that the output shaft of the servo was inboard. You need to do that since you can't move the pocket location. That take just a hair longer shaft length at the shallower angle.

I hope to be down there on Sunday to see the Fosa.

R,
Target
Thanks Target! I will pay close attention to it. So far, it seems to fit pretty well in the dry fit.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 07:18 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,597 Posts
Roger that, good luck!
Oh, one more tip:
To get the angles of the servo mounts the same on my (Daryl's) Cyril, I used clear plastic sheet, taped down to the wing, and drew lines on it with the servo frames, and the servo pocket, after I installed the first one, and it worked good.
Then, you just take it off, flip it over, and use it on the other wing half....
Sneaky, eh? "Builder/Flyer/Thinker/(And now, funnyman, as Phil Davey pointed out to me the other day).

G/L on the build.

R,
Target
Old Jan 24, 2011, 09:39 PM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,462 Posts
Steve, vey very cool sailplane collection you have there. 3's a crowd though you better send that Fosa over to OZ.
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Old Jan 25, 2011, 01:46 PM
R/C Soaring "Lifer."
Oceanside, CA
Joined Mar 2006
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineDSacro View Post
Steve, vey very cool sailplane collection you have there. 3's a crowd though you better send that Fosa over to OZ.
Very funny. Actually, I sold the Ceres to help fund the Fosa so that was its last time in the limelight.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:49 PM
Fly, Fish or F#@%
Houston
Joined Dec 2006
478 Posts
Fosa is ready!
Just waiting on my 5cell Batt pack now.
1904 grams less Batt and nose weight.
MKS DS6125mini in the wing, DS6125H in the fuse and a AR9300 Rx.
The Fosa is super stiff and strong, Jiri has out done himself once again!!!!!
Can't wait to fly her
Cheers,
T
gliding Oz is online now Find More Posts by gliding Oz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:43 AM
R/C Soaring "Lifer."
Oceanside, CA
Joined Mar 2006
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliding Oz View Post
Fosa is ready!
Just waiting on my 5cell Batt pack now.
1904 grams less Batt and nose weight.
MKS DS6125mini in the wing, DS6125H in the fuse and a AR9300 Rx.
The Fosa is super stiff and strong, Jiri has out done himself once again!!!!!
Can't wait to fly her
Cheers,
T
Yeah Baby! Half the RDS is in...just waiting for the JB Weld to cure so I can Goop the right wing servos in and then she is DONE! Just need to balance and fly.

Thomas--Do you have notes from Jiri on recommended CG? Mike L said: "CG 117 from nose cone. Towhook 118.5 from nose cone. I use down elevator preset and my models will glide and not stall in launch mode."

That is where I plan to start. Are you going to bring Fosa with you to AZ? I am going to bring mine as a Windy J backup so I hope the wind blows!

Mark your calendar now for May 13-15 and plan to attend the Cal Valley F3B contest. You will have so much fun.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 04:48 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,462 Posts
Love the tape see through covers... 1 very nice bit of sailplane .... And it's Red.
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:01 AM
Fly, Fish or F#@%
Houston
Joined Dec 2006
478 Posts
Hey Steve,
Like you, I only have what Mike L has kindly given me and will use this as my start too.
I was going to bring my trusty "Double Carbon 95oz Aspire" but if I get some stick time I will bring the Fosa instead.
Can't wait to fly her
Cheers,
T

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecondon View Post
Yeah Baby! Half the RDS is in...just waiting for the JB Weld to cure so I can Goop the right wing servos in and then she is DONE! Just need to balance and fly.

Thomas--Do you have notes from Jiri on recommended CG? Mike L said: "CG 117 from nose cone. Towhook 118.5 from nose cone. I use down elevator preset and my models will glide and not stall in launch mode."

That is where I plan to start. Are you going to bring Fosa with you to AZ? I am going to bring mine as a Windy J backup so I hope the wind blows!

Mark your calendar now for May 13-15 and plan to attend the Cal Valley F3B contest. You will have so much fun.
gliding Oz is online now Find More Posts by gliding Oz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:28 AM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,912 Posts
Really sweet looking model Thomas. Nice job on the build too. Can't wait to see all the Fosas go.

Cheers.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Jan 27, 2011, 02:11 AM
R/C Soaring "Lifer."
Oceanside, CA
Joined Mar 2006
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B View Post
Really sweet looking model Thomas. Nice job on the build too. Can't wait to see all the Fosas go.

Cheers.

Mike
You're gonna get to see mine go later today, brutha! It is a little after midnight and she is done. 73 oz. AUW with CG 117mm back from nosecone. Took only 1.4 ounces of nose weight. Got the programming pretty dialed-in so all it needs is a test glide and then the good stuff. MONO!

See you at the field around noonish or earlier. For our "working lunch"

Will see if we can remember to take some pictures and post later. Cannot wait to fly this model.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 08:35 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,597 Posts
G/L on the maiden.
R,
Target
Old Jan 27, 2011, 06:18 PM
He bowls overhand
Falcon, Colorado
Joined Oct 2004
1,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecondon View Post
Very funny. Actually, I sold the Ceres to help fund the Fosa so that was its last time in the limelight.
Maybe, maybe not! Man I gotta make it to CA this summer
threcixty is offline Find More Posts by threcixty
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:13 AM
R/C Soaring "Lifer."
Oceanside, CA
Joined Mar 2006
141 Posts
Maiden was a total success!

Went out for a "power lunch" today with limited time but managed to get two tows in on the Fosa after a perfect hand toss with no issues. After the first launch I made some minor adjustments in the programming and it flew fantastic. I didn't have time to really put it through its paces but plan to do so for many hours on Sunday.

Thanks again to Mike Lachowski for the install and set-up tips and to Mike Smith for lending his arm today to throw for me. As you can see by the pictures, it was not your "typical" winter day. 75 and sunny with nice thermals.