HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2010, 06:27 AM
Joined Oct 2005
1,271 Posts
It is number 18 which was made for Bob. They are not in stock. Bob did have several Cyril's in stock which I flew in Team Selections. You'll have to be satisfied with a Cyril for now.

Fuse looks like a Cyril, but it appears be more compact in size. I have to figure out what battery pack will fit. The Hyperion 1450 I have in my Cyril doesn't look like it will fit.
mlachow is offline Find More Posts by mlachow
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2010, 03:28 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,271 Posts
I'm working through options on the Cyril fuselage setup. It definitely was designed around a 3+1 or 4+1 elite battery pack. The fuselage is tighter than the Cyril. In some dimensions is is smaller than a Radical if you can believe that.

With a LiFe pack it looks like the fuse ballast will be reduced a little. A few light passes right where the front corner of the pack will move it forward a few mm. If I use a AR7600 or AR8000 receiver (really short) then the servos should fit with the tube moved back a little. So probably 7 pieces of ballast instead of 8. If I go with the AR9300 carbon RX which is longer, but more antennas, then the tube gets moved back more and a little bit of the fuse needs to be slotted to still be able to insert ballast.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 03:49 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,421 Posts
AR8000? Does not compute...

Tom
tewatson is online now Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Nov 15, 2010, 07:42 PM
Joined Jul 2002
523 Posts
Mike isn't like us mere mortals, he is a team pilot and gets toys before we even know about them

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPMAR8000

Glauco
Glauco is offline Find More Posts by Glauco
Old Nov 15, 2010, 07:46 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,271 Posts
For those who like to collect numbers

Left wing 562g
Right wing 570g
Fuselage 180g
Ballast tube 18g
Joiners 120g
Stabs 37g each
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:00 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,271 Posts
Fuse Radio Installations

Here are some radio installation possibilities. If you haven't seen a Cyril, the rear servo extends under the ballast tube and is retained by a slot in the ply bulkhead at the end of the tray.

A Hyperion 1450 will fit. Some grinding of the fuselage in the front corners of the pack help to move it forward. If you really want to go forward, you can probably cut some small holes in the fuselage top.

Receiver choice dictates where the ballast tube will fit. Longer receivers mean the ballast tube will be back a little. The tube is long enough for 8 pieces of ballast. The only way to fit it with 8 pieces balanced on the CG is to go with a small RX and possibly a 4 cell pack. The slot in the fuselage will match the slot in the tube.

Trim servo wires...... No space left to store spare wire here.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:37 PM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,457 Posts
Hey Mike, take that 1450 out of the factory wrap and re-shrink it with some new shrink wrap after you put a "human" connector on it. You will get rid of an amazing amount of bulk by doing this. They have a couple layers of plastic to insulate them from vibration that just isn't necessary for our purposes. That is the only way they will fit in the nose of the Radical.

-Aaron
Avaldes is offline Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:01 PM
Joined Jul 2002
523 Posts
Yep what Aaron said. Just measured and the inner wrap is .02 thick from one that I removed.

Doesn't look like much but the same happened to the Freestyler, only fit without the wrap.

Glauco
Glauco is offline Find More Posts by Glauco
Old Nov 17, 2010, 06:53 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlachow View Post
Receiver choice dictates where the ballast tube will fit. Longer receivers mean the ballast tube will be back a little. The tube is long enough for 8 pieces of ballast. The only way to fit it with 8 pieces balanced on the CG is to go with a small RX and possibly a 4 cell pack. The slot in the fuselage will match the slot in the tube.

Trim servo wires...... No space left to store spare wire here.

That's funny; I came to the same conclusion as you on the receiver dictating the ballast tube setup (but on the Cyril)....
However, I managed to squeeze in the 8 slugs on the cg, with the same battery pack, by using a tiny Berg 7 (72Mhz) and placing it below the front of the ballast tube, and moving the servo tray forward a bit. I used a 2 pin Deans polarized connector on the battery to a pigtail from the Rx....

I think that if someone wanted to make a new tray and use smaller tail servos, you might save some length that way. I did this successfully on my Ceres build that I added a ballast tube to. Ceres is "roomy" comparatively, though!

Good luck with the plane at the worlds, Mike.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Nov 17, 2010, 07:22 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
I just ordered some Airtronics 94809 digis for my next F3B planes. I will be trying to keep it light and crisp. No need for big 3421 when this tiny guy will do the job.

http://www.airtronics.net/index.php/...-mg-servo.html

It should give you a bit more room for your ballast tube. I think Daryl used them in his Cyril.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Nov 20, 2010, 09:49 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
981 Posts
Airtronics 94809 digis for my next F3B planes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djklein21 View Post
I just ordered some Airtronics 94809 digis for my next F3B planes. I will be trying to keep it light and crisp. No need for big 3421 when this tiny guy will do the job.

http://www.airtronics.net/index.php/...-mg-servo.html

It should give you a bit more room for your ballast tube. I think Daryl used them in his Cyril.
David, what are you going to fly? This Fosa has my eye right now! I love Jiri's planes!

Phil
Phil Davy is offline Find More Posts by Phil Davy
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:10 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
You would be proud Phil, I have my hooks in way too many planes right now. I love my Targets, so one to three of them will make up my hanger at the WC. My team mate Mike L will get the first American insights into the Fosa, and I hope to have the chance to follow him up in December. Also have some new Herrig toys coming in February.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:10 AM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,457 Posts
Alright, pictures dammit...we need pictures!! Lets go Lachoski!
Avaldes is offline Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:21 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
you've got mail, MMS
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:31 AM
Leicestershire
Joined Sep 2006
1,184 Posts
Looking forward to some flight reports... Jiri's models have the cooooolest names!

Z
Zimodile is offline Find More Posts by Zimodile