HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:49 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,495 Posts
Rds

Eric,

Will your RDS drives have some end float provision? I've found with my home made ones at least, that this is the hardest part. Because control surfaces are surface hinged, (top or bottom), the central RDS cranks need to move in and out to give correct geometry and prevent jamming.

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Apr 28, 2011 at 11:50 PM. Reason: extra information
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2011, 09:00 PM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbello View Post
Eric,

Will your RDS drives have some end float provision? I've found with my home made ones at least, that this is the hardest part. Because control surfaces are surface hinged, (top or bottom), the central RDS cranks need to move in and out to give correct geometry and prevent jamming.

Jim.
Hi Jim,

These drives don't have end float provision. I haven't heard of any issues with this setup in this thread so I'm assuming it works fine. I have seem some drives in other threads that do move in and out.

Eric
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Apr 30, 2011, 04:06 AM
I do this for fun!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,191 Posts
Looks really sweet Ezza

I'll be looking for flight reports when I get back in town.

Go Great!

Ken.
skyboyken is offline Find More Posts by skyboyken
Old May 15, 2011, 08:32 AM
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,008 Posts
Finally got back to this beauty and have the wings finished. I found basically that the more I bent the flap rods the more deflection became available. Sorry I didn't measure but I bent the rods quite a bit more(three times before I was happy), and have almost 90 degree flaps available and more than necessary reflex. I did bend the aileron rods about an extra 10 degrees but as mentioned by others it is probably not needed.

I have to agree with Target, the rds pockets are really tight. No slop.

One tip, when gluing the rds drives and rods into the coupler, fit the drives to the servo shaft to get correct centreing first. I glued them together on the bench. This cost me a few degrees in travel as I had to adjust to get the RDS rods centred.

Waiting for fuse servos and battery now.

Eric
Old May 15, 2011, 03:25 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,495 Posts
Drive rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezza View Post
Finally got back to this beauty and have the wings finished. I found basically that the more I bent the flap rods the more deflection became available. .................................

Eric
What diameter are the drive rods Eric?
And what are the pockets made out of? I made my last ones out of carbon fibre/epoxy. But not sure it that was the best.

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old May 15, 2011, 09:02 PM
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,008 Posts
Hi Jim,

The rods are 3mm thick and the pockets appear to be carbon.

Eric
Old May 16, 2011, 05:13 AM
Joined Jul 2008
304 Posts
You will find that the rods are 3.1mm
The Aussie rods are 3mm

Mick
F3B Fly Faster is offline Find More Posts by F3B Fly Faster
Old May 16, 2011, 11:34 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,327 Posts
The ones on my Cyril I measured at 3mm..... And I would assume that they are the same on the Fosa, but I confess to being in a rush during measurement, and could be inaccurate.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old May 17, 2011, 02:04 AM
Joined Jul 2008
304 Posts
Are the Fosa's build up using standard carbon or spread tow carbon
F3B Fly Faster is offline Find More Posts by F3B Fly Faster
Old May 17, 2011, 02:54 PM
Mannheim/Germany
Joined Feb 2005
42 Posts
Unfortunately they don't use spread tow. I asked for that on my Fosa order...
LS8-18 is offline Find More Posts by LS8-18
Old May 17, 2011, 03:54 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2005
736 Posts
Got the word that my Fosa is on its way to the states, can't wait! Time to fly some B!!!

Aaron
P-51flyer is offline Find More Posts by P-51flyer
Old May 17, 2011, 04:30 PM
R/C Soaring "Lifer."
Oceanside, CA
Joined Mar 2006
141 Posts
1.86 KG FOSA Ballast Sets

Hey guys,

One thing I noticed when I first flew speed with my Fosa was that with all the brass in it, I still wanted to be quite a bit heavier, and I am sure the Fosa could launch it no problem.

I commissioned some molds for the wing and fuse ballast to cast lead slugs (about 25% heavier than the brass) and I also had some brass pieces machined to a taper that fits perfectly in the wing joiner. This cost a lot less than Tungsten!

Fuse slugs = 85g ea
Wing slugs = 225g ea
Joiner inserts = 140g ea

With full lead and only two brass pieces in the rear joiner (one piece in each side of the back compartments) it brings the AUW to almost 4 KG (3.93).

I have a limited number of sets (5) and am going to sell some of them to raise funds to replace a broken wing panel on my Fosa :'(

$125 each including shipping (con US). Send me an e-mail directly to stevecondon at cox.net if you are interested. Prefer PayPal but will accept other forms of payment too.
stevecondon is offline Find More Posts by stevecondon
Old May 17, 2011, 09:43 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecondon View Post
Hey guys,

One thing I noticed when I first flew speed with my Fosa was that with all the brass in it, I still wanted to be quite a bit heavier, and I am sure the Fosa could launch it no problem.
Steve is right, you can load this one with ballast. I have my wing ballast set up with 3 pieces on each side and have tungsten and brass slugs for the wing. I've flown the model to 3.75kg, haven't tried 4kg yet. No problem launching and flying it at 2.75kg in dead calm.
mlachow is offline Find More Posts by mlachow
Old May 27, 2011, 02:11 PM
Also known as simon_t
Kent, England
Joined Nov 2005
270 Posts
Just arrived this evening

Simon
en_spt is offline Find More Posts by en_spt
Old May 27, 2011, 02:58 PM
LSF V aspirant
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,417 Posts
It apparently has some sort of pox disease...better get that looked at right away.

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson