HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2011, 04:59 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,331 Posts
Close to 0 reflex it is very quiet. 1mm reflex is noiser than .5mm of reflex.
mlachow is offline Find More Posts by mlachow
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2011, 06:46 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,671 Posts
Simon-
Thanks for the report.
I wish that every F3F race was at a coastal lip slope. But we have to fly a variety here in SoCal, or we would be at the same two or three slopes over and over.
It sounds like the longer span of the Fosa isn't much of a handicap for F3F, if at all.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Mar 15, 2011, 05:51 AM
England
Joined Jun 2010
14 Posts
Snippet from UK domestic F3B scene

Sunday’s speed practise event once again presented great conditions to get back into the competitive grove and test new models, pilots and techniques. On team Haley’s agenda, test new winch configurations, one much repaired model from last season and a complete new model for the 2011 campaign.

Over the winter we decided to ditch the standard Haley winch configuration (draw bar and wheels) for the more central European framed layout to improve transport logistics and both winch's performed very well.

Our trusted F3B Precious is now been flown by its third team Haley pilot Simon and although this model was very nearly scrapped at the end of last season following more abuse, it was repaired over the winter and once again proved how well this model always launch’s in neutral conditions. Following a couple of interesting setup runs Simon flew two 17 second runs with a PB of 17.7 seconds followed by a rather low level reversal much to his father’s surprise!

I, on the other hand had a rather frustrating but enjoyable day. Having taken delivery of the latest Baudis development only 10 days prior, I was keen to test the new Fosa F3b model. This model bucks the current trend in F3B design with its high aspect ratio and latest construction techniques. Testing every possible setup parameter I tried for most of the day to find a performance window that I was happy with and consequently, I struggled to break out of the 17 second band throughout the six rounds flown. Eventually though, I did find some performance and ended the day with a 14 second run albeit in reasonable air...which certainly gave some much needed encouragement....

Fosa does appear to have good potential in distance and duration.

Once again many thanks to both Clive and Chris for organising a very enjoyable event

Steve
Stephen Haley is offline Find More Posts by Stephen Haley
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:15 PM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,058 Posts
Mine turned up and boy does this plane look sleek. Very, very good quality and surprisingly stiff.

This will be my first experience with RDS. Are most of you guys using the standard bend in the rods or going for different bends/angles to get more flap deflection etc? Is there a formula? If not I'll enjoy working it out.

Looking forward to this one.....

Eric
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:25 PM
Self confessed Aeroholic
Australia, QLD, Elimbah
Joined Jan 2005
1,481 Posts
Hey Ezza, looks like a trip to your place. This is another model I'd love to fondle.
D.
Larrikin is offline Find More Posts by Larrikin
Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:17 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,671 Posts
Ezza-
If you do a search, there is an Xcel sheet on RDS throw floating around.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 01:19 AM
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin View Post
Hey Ezza, looks like a trip to your place. This is another model I'd love to fondle.
D.
Anytime mate. You have to wear baby fur seal lined gloves though.

Thanks Target, I'll do that.

Eric
Old Apr 20, 2011, 02:05 AM
Joined Sep 2007
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezza View Post
This will be my first experience with RDS. Are most of you guys using the standard bend in the rods or going for different bends/angles to get more flap deflection etc? Is there a formula? If not I'll enjoy working it out.
Eric
I used the provided rod for flaps, but I had 40 bent rod available, so I used them on the ailerons instead of the provided 30. in fligth, the Fosa is extremely responsive on roll axis with these, so I guess the 30 rod could be enough...

Cedric,
ced_toulouse is offline Find More Posts by ced_toulouse
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Ojective: TAIWAN!!
Old Apr 20, 2011, 03:00 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,481 Posts
Pics eric dont tease, and hurry em up. Lol
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Old Apr 20, 2011, 03:30 AM
mmmmm....BEER
Launceston, Tasmania
Joined Jan 2010
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezza View Post
Mine turned up and boy does this plane look sleek. Very, very good quality and surprisingly stiff.

Looking forward to this one.....

Eric
Hi Eric,

John Skinner took delivery of his Fosa's recently. Might pay to compare notes with him as he is about to build his up.

cheers

Steve
Boagy is online now Find More Posts by Boagy
Old Apr 20, 2011, 05:25 AM
Joined Oct 2006
125 Posts
Hi Eric,
I have been flying the Fosa for a little bit now and used the standard rods as installed by Jiri.
I don't think you need to change either flap or aileron bend.

I do agree it is one finely crafted machine.

Cheers
Tim..
tcbp285 is offline Find More Posts by tcbp285
Old Apr 27, 2011, 04:00 AM
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,058 Posts
More RDS newbie questions;

I'm using MKS 6125. There will be two joins in the rds system that I can see. One between the driver, which screws onto the servo spline, and the coupler slides over the top. The second is where the bent rod slides inside the coupler. Both joins are metal to metal with no grub screw or keyway. Do you guys use epoxy or is there something better like braizing or silver solder? I'm sure these joints are strong enough for normal flight but what about slope hooning/ds/1000ft pin drops, or if you catch a flap on landing, etc? I'm also surpised that this rds system is no good for a quick changeout. I'd love to hear thoughts and experiences.

Eric
Old Apr 27, 2011, 07:40 AM
Joined Sep 2007
286 Posts
hello,

I use Epoxy to glue the rod, no pb, I did on Cyril and now fosa: it works great, and lasts. on my fosa, for the 6125, I used the provided frame for 3150, but I glued 0.8mm plywood under it to get back to the height of a 3150 (it is thicker than a 6125). there's also quite a bit of sanding on the epoxy bearing support to get the rod in the axis.

Cedric,
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2011, 09:29 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,671 Posts
Ezza-

MKS has inside splined sleeves that are able to be bonded inside of the supplied yokes.
If you can't find info on them, hit up Soaring USA, or MKS usa for price/availability.
With these in place, you should be able to slip the servo out in the event of a needed swap.

I saw these at the AMA show, and they seem like the best way to go, if you use the MKS in a Baudis wing.

R,
Target
Old Apr 27, 2011, 03:00 PM
Joined Sep 2007
286 Posts
yep! that's what I use, I just have baudis frames and rod stuff and the little thing that MKS sells, it is on their site now.

Cedric,
RCG Plus Member