AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2011, 07:50 AM
F3B and F3K
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2009
1,587 Posts
Quote:
I had a chance to put in a little more flying on mine today in horrible conditions. 90 degree crosswinds, lots of turbulence. A few "interesting" launches. Everything in one piece. I flew light, just the tungsten and brass I have in the wing which is the same as the stock wing brass plus 7 pieces in the fuselage. A few launches just short of 300M. One was 980 ft....

Lots of bad air to fly in and the occasional bit of smooth air. What a day to fly after 6 weeks of snow and a 3:30 drive to get far enough south to get to a field that wasn't snow covered.
Hi Mike

Conditions on Don's field were definitely rough and evil with that viscious rotor from the treeline (Mike, Don and I all ended once with the plane upside down, ouch).

Hard to tell the difference between Fosa and Freestyler in such ugly air, the spread in speed times was huge, from 18s to 12.8s (with a slight cut, but the DP air was there).

It was interesting as I flew with full lead ballast on the FS 3 and Mike rather "light". He was still able to squeeze a 14s run out. Again, hard to tell which one was quicker, over the course of the day we both got some fast times in the occasional smooth air.
Reto
RetoF3X is online now Find More Posts by RetoF3X
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RetoF3X; Feb 14, 2011 at 03:17 PM. Reason: DP air and more comment
Old Feb 19, 2011, 06:38 AM
Mannheim/Germany
Joined Feb 2005
43 Posts
Hello,

can you give me some ideas for the settings? Especially the deflections of the elevator would be of interest

Bye
LS8-18 is offline Find More Posts by LS8-18
Old Feb 19, 2011, 09:46 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,935 Posts
Wow, that's a long drive. Much dedication being displayed there!
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:31 AM
F3B and F3K
Joined Mar 2009
1,587 Posts
Quote:
Wow, that's a long drive.
With only three active F3B pilots on the east coast it is good to meet in the middle (at Don's place). It was about equal distance for Mike and me.

Don, Mike and I desperately needed some stick time before heading to the Gator! Now we think we have a rough idea again where the course and base B is...

Reto
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2011, 05:52 AM
Joined Oct 2005
1,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanscho View Post
Wow, that's a long drive. Much dedication being displayed there!
Welcome to the USA, land of driving....

I'm in New Jersey where even getting a flying field can be a problem. But lucky for me I have one (snow just finishing melting) about 10 minutes away. And here are two other fields 1:30 away that usually let me set up when I want some place different closer to other F3b pilots or helpers for a practice session.

Most competitions are USA thermal duration that are withing driving distance. Again I am lucky to have quite a few within a 5 hour drive radius. One every other weekend in the summer.

AMA Nationals, that's a 10 hour drive to Indiana.

F3b contests, well this year it's a two day drive to Florida and a cross country flight to California. And airlines just don't make that as easy as it used to be. So there aren't that many F3b pilots around.

The other good thing for me is there are several TD pilots who are willing to come out and help me practice. That helps practicing. I can get in 75 speed runs in a day if I wanted to. But distance practice against multiple pilots is a problem.

Gator F3b will be my first contest test of the Fosa. I don't have a lot of time on it and I'm still playing with the mix rates. I haven't had any good practice days yet where I could alternate between the Fosa and my Cyril or Shooter.
mlachow is offline Find More Posts by mlachow
Old Feb 20, 2011, 05:57 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,935 Posts
Wow. I guess that's part of the reason for the American love of the auto?

It also shows the impact that where you live has on this sport. I live in a windy, hilly place (west of Ireland) where I moan a bit if I have to drive 45 minutes to a particular slope. Not a very thermally area (there are few changes in land surface covering that assist thermals), but a fantastic slope area.
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:51 AM
Lisbon, Portugal
Joined Oct 2005
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS8-18 View Post
Hello,

can you give me some ideas for the settings? Especially the deflections of the elevator would be of interest

Bye
X2
_King_Pin_ is offline Find More Posts by _King_Pin_
Old Feb 22, 2011, 07:51 AM
F3B and F3K
Joined Mar 2009
1,587 Posts
Finally some drawings and specs appeared on the web.

It does indeed start to look like a sailplane.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2011, 05:19 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,310 Posts
CG 117 from nose cone.

Towhook 118.5 from nose cone. I use down elevator preset and my models
will glide and not stall in launch mode.

Flap presets (A-F intersection)

Reflex +0.5
Thermal -2
Launch 1 -10
Launch 2 -9

Aileron travel

Aile +8, -7
Flap +3.5, -3

Elevator travel +- 5 In speed +0 4.5
Launch about-.5
Thermal about -.3

Elevator to flap mix, with +-5 elevator, flaps move +-2.5

Rudder is +-9

A-R +- 0.3 for speed, +- 3 for thermal

Note: I'm still not happy with this thermal flap setting.
mlachow is offline Find More Posts by mlachow
Old Mar 09, 2011, 06:34 PM
R/C Soaring "Lifer."
Oceanside, CA
Joined Mar 2006
141 Posts
Lead ballast and joiner ballast for the Fosa

Hey guys,

The first time I flew speed with my Fosa I realized I could use a lot more ballast. I had a mold made to cast lead for the wings and can now make slugs that weigh ~ 227 gr each (8 ounces). Same size as the brass - 2 per side.

I am also having a fuse slug mold made. So with the wing and fuse full of lead, I should be able to get to an AUW of 3.7 KG (130 ounces). I also had some tapered brass pieces machined to fit inside the wing joiners so I can bring the loading all the way to the FAI limit (approx 150 ounces with the 4 cavities of the rear joiner filled). Each piece weighs 5 ounces so each addition to the joiner would be 10 ounces since they should be on both sides. Mike L says the Fosa will launch at 140 ounces in a reasonable headwind with no issues.

The only (slight) concern I have is putting the brass inside the joiner. The walls at the tip of the joiner are pretty thin but get quite a bit thicker on both the sides and especially top and bottom as they get closer to center.

I really do not think it will be a problem as both the FS3 and Radical use brass inside the joiner. Any thoughts on this?
stevecondon is offline Find More Posts by stevecondon
Old Mar 09, 2011, 06:55 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,597 Posts
As long as they don't ram the end of the joiner box span wise, I would think it would be fine.
If you are worried about the thinner walls outboard, why not add a single layer of shrink tubing over just the outboard end of the joiner brass pieces to give some cushion and as a shim for the added space?

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Mar 13, 2011, 05:51 PM
Also known as simon_t
Kent, England
Joined Nov 2005
273 Posts
A couple of Fosa's out for the first time at South Wales F3F league competition. Joel managed 36 seconds with his...

Simon
en_spt is offline Find More Posts by en_spt
Old Mar 13, 2011, 07:52 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,597 Posts
What was fast time of the day, Simon??
How'd the Fosa fair compared to the rest of the latest and greatest??

How does Joel like it for F?

R,
Target
PS. Is that the official "Knewt" color scheme, now or what??!
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Mar 14, 2011, 04:11 PM
Also known as simon_t
Kent, England
Joined Nov 2005
273 Posts
Joel got 36.89s. He followed Greg Dakin in the flying order, who just pipped him with 36.78 in the same round (and thermal) flying his Alliaj. I followed Joel, but the air had gone by then and I could only get 47s, which was about the 'neutral air' time on that slope. A lot of flights were in the 50s - the slowest round winner had a 48s flight, all the rounds were won with times in the 40s apart from the Greg's 36.

I thought the Fosa looked very competent. Joel seemed more comfortable with his than Knewt did, but of course this might just be down to the limited practice time and maybe more setup needed. Roll rate looked quick, although Joel complained that it was not quite as quick in roll as his Cyril. Knewt did a square loop before the comp, after a dive, and it was very crisp in pitch through the corners - it can pull. Knewt's sounded noisier in the air than my Ceres or the Cyril - this may be down to flap settings/reflex/lack of reflex. I don't know whether either Joel or Knewt are using reflex, although I suspect Joel might use a bit.

Simon
en_spt is offline Find More Posts by en_spt
Last edited by en_spt; Mar 14, 2011 at 04:19 PM.