HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2010, 09:12 PM
Berlin, Germany
Joined Oct 2009
77 Posts
Question
Tricopter: What rear tilt angle?

One basic question about experiences with a 'Y'-formed Tricopter where the rear motor is tilted for yaw control:
What maximum angle should the motor be turned left/right by the servo?

At 45 the yaw thrust would be as high as the lifting thrust - this would appear to me the maximum angle that makes sense. But this is just guessing - I am still in the construction process of my Tricopter.

What are your experiences with this construction element?
bb42 is offline Find More Posts by bb42
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2010, 09:54 PM
SSM
Voluntary Assumption of Risk
Australia, VIC, Canterbury
Joined Nov 2003
1,235 Posts
BB42 - You'll probably find that 30 motor tilt is enough to give you excellent yaw authority and spin rate.
Simon
SSM is offline Find More Posts by SSM
Old Oct 05, 2010, 10:30 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
My experience has been, each tricopter is difference. There are many factors that goes into the total angle of tilt required to control YAW. One of the major factor if the length of the arms, another one is, if counter rotating props are used. On all of my copters, I have never used more than +- 10 degrees, 15 degree at most.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:40 AM
Suspended Account
UK, Buckinghamshire, High Wycombe
Joined Feb 2007
4,133 Posts
same as Rev said but will add size of prop makes quite a difference in angle too the bigger the prop the less you need
n3m1s1s is offline Find More Posts by n3m1s1s
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)