HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2010, 07:35 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Discussion
NEW Tx module Frsky DJT and Rx D8R Telemetry

The new module from Hobby King came in today and there is a CD with some (shady for me ) instructions.
Is there anyone using this module who is willing to share some more infos, set up, range and so on.
I read something about Frsky before I ordered it but faile to save the page and cant find much about it now.
If I remember correctly it was compared to BEVRC long range module.
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Last edited by nakelp86; Oct 05, 2010 at 07:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2010, 10:17 PM
Sao Paulo, Brasil
Joined Aug 2004
600 Posts
There are another threads about this modules and telemetry on http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1176328 and http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1200443

Anyway, i tested over 2874m, but some users reported 5200m, almost twice, both cases with no RSSI alarm, meaning it's OK at this distance, not over or near limit.
alexcmag is offline Find More Posts by alexcmag
Old Oct 05, 2010, 10:28 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Great thx for the links
Now I just have to learn how to set it all up
Old Oct 05, 2010, 10:48 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Could you show some pictures of your set up (the plane) how did you mount the antennas?
Old Oct 06, 2010, 12:57 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,950 Posts
Antenna setup depends about flying pattern: far and low, high over head, or mixed.
But is not something FrSky specific, you place them as for any other dual antenna 2.4Ghz system, there are many threads debating this.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Oct 06, 2010, 06:35 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
hmm the point is I never had dual antennas so I know only they have to be at 45 degrees to each other.
Old Oct 06, 2010, 06:40 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
hmm the point is I never had dual antennas so I know only they have to be at 45 degrees to each other.

90 degrees
And ideally away from all wires, electronics and carbon parts

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Oct 06, 2010, 08:01 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Aha so its 90
:-)
thx.The wiskers will come out from fuse and bend up in gentle curve from horizontal.
Hopefully that will solve many problems.
So far I did not see one negative about the system.
Im happy :-)
Old Oct 06, 2010, 10:15 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,486 Posts
The active part of the antennas is the last 33mm, which is silvery. That's what needs to be reasonably straight. The rest can be curved but should not be kinked as it can be damaged. The two antennas should be arranged so that the active sections are well separated, approximately at right angles, and not too close to conductive stuff (battery, wires, CF, etc.). You don't need to get things exact, just follow the basic principles. By having the antennas at right angles and separated you ensure that at least one should be getting a decent signal at any given time.

It's an excellent radio and should give more range that you can use.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Oct 09, 2010, 11:19 AM
New in all but 20Y hobbyist
Gratens, little place around Toulouse...
Joined Dec 2007
399 Posts
Does someone have an idea hot to plug the RSSI port on a CE OSD (BEVRC). Does the RSSI port can be used as is, as the CEOSD claims a 3.3volts measurement and the D8R a provides a 5v ?

I've read around that i would need a RSSI buffer between. That's ok with that, but wich one can be used on this case ?
lothar2048 is offline Find More Posts by lothar2048
Old Oct 09, 2010, 12:02 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,950 Posts
No RSSI from this receiver, but you don't need it in OSD, you have acoustic feedback of link quality in the Tx module buzzer.
There are 2 long threads dedicated to FrSky, one for general RC usage, and one for telemetry. These things and many more were already discussed there.
Old Oct 09, 2010, 03:28 PM
Joined Dec 2007
399 Posts
Can you give me the link for this, i was not able to find it.
By the way, my question is still in the air. I would like to combine both visual RSSI trhought the RSSI port availeble on CE OSD and both telemetry. Receiver port 3 gives the RSSI signal. I was just asking to someone who knows about it, not someone who don't...
Old Oct 09, 2010, 03:37 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,950 Posts
Maybe you talk about a different product.
Frsky telemetry receiver does not issue RSSI on ANY port, period.
Maybe you talk about the three lateral dedicated telemetry ports, but even here you didn't get it right, all are inputs, none is output.
The main FrSky thread was permanently in the first page of radios forum in the last months, it is very active, look again, it is there right now.
Old Oct 09, 2010, 03:46 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,754 Posts
I think you mis-understand what they mean by "receiver interface 3: RSSI of Rx".

The alarm can be configured to respond to either of the two analog inputs on the airborne receiver, or to the RSSI signal which is internal to the airborne receiver.
The other input to the airborne unit is RS232 for user data. The only "outputs" it has are to drive servos.

So the only way to access the RSSI signal (which they call "link quality") would be to extract it from the telemetry data on the ground through the RS232 interface.

RENATOA can confirm, as an early adopter/reseller he does pretty much know everything about the FrSky system.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Oct 09, 2010, 03:53 PM
Joined Dec 2007
399 Posts
I confirm the Analog ports are dedicated inputs, the RSSI port is input/output due to RS232 compatibility... Read up the documentation here plz : http://www.frsky-rc.com/uploadfile/2...0115814373.pdf , page 6 and 7.

This port is already used by some users of the RVOSD and the Eagletree OSD Pro wich can integrate some RS232 interfacing with a 3 pin communication cable. I'm trying to find a way to make it compatible with the CEOSD wich only have a serial one way port...

Buffering seems to be the final way, but i did not found any help regarding the receiver topology here... Of course, Frsky does not respond to mails regarding those unsupported issues...