HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in buying Ready to Fly FPV airplanes from a new FPV store?
YES, I've always wanted to buy a RTF FPV airplane 9 15.52%
NO, I rather put it together on my own 20 34.48%
MAYBE, if they offer customizable FPV airplanes 17 29.31%
ABSOLUTELY NOT. (describe why?) 2 3.45%
YES, I have put together FPV airplanes, but it would be nice to get a RTF FPV airplane 3 5.17%
NO, there are enough FPV stores and I would not buy my FPV ready to fly 7 12.07%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old Oct 05, 2010, 02:02 PM
Joined Oct 2010
27 Posts
Poll
Would you be interested in buying Ready to Fly FPV airplanes from a new FPV store?

Would you buy Ready to Fly FPV airplanes from a new FPV store?
FPVNOW is offline Find More Posts by FPVNOW
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2010, 02:09 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Nov 2006
94 Posts
Not really. I'd say researching, choosing and assembling the parts are half the hobby to me.

I take pride in what I am learning and building.
MaxGen is offline Find More Posts by MaxGen
Old Oct 05, 2010, 09:45 PM
Joined Oct 2010
27 Posts
I can understand that. Wouldn't it be nice to have it both ways? A site with drop down menus that lets you select the airframe, TX, RX, battery size etc, and a couple of weeks later you get an airplanes that only needs lipo charged and you're in the air. :-D
FPVNOW is offline Find More Posts by FPVNOW
Old Oct 05, 2010, 10:13 PM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,752 Posts
I think a customizable FPV availability would open the hobby up to people that dont have the time, ability, desire, or 'whatever' to build, and allow them to just fly. Years ago scratch and kit builders might have said an ARF is no good, as building is part of the experience. This is true, but ARFs a huge part of the market now, so as a business I would consider this option. As a buyer I would as well, if I had the money. Even though I have built a few FPVs, and love to build and learn, there is a part of me that still would like the option of instant gratification.

However I would think it would be really difficult to provide customer support (troubleshooting), any kind of warranty, and proper testing/quality control and still keep the cost at a point where you will attract a lot of business. And really, these thigs are important when we are talking some major $$$ investments in our 'toys'.
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Oct 05, 2010, 10:42 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVNOW View Post
Would you buy Ready to Fly FPV airplanes from a new FPV store?
Well lets see what you got. Your gone fishing, now lets see the bait.
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Oct 05, 2010, 10:46 PM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
For me personally, i would rather put it together myself, but a RTF FPV plane could be very helpful for the noobs.

Cheers, Kev.
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Old Oct 05, 2010, 11:02 PM
Brasil, PR, Curitiba
Joined Apr 2010
199 Posts
Sometimes, RTF means low quality....
guipedroso is offline Find More Posts by guipedroso
Old Oct 05, 2010, 11:04 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,570 Posts
Didn't Mr.Pibb already do this?
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Oct 05, 2010, 11:46 PM
United States, IA, Mason City
Joined Oct 2008
292 Posts
He did, but the work quickly overwhelmed him so he stopped. I heard he built really good systems though, so it can be done.
Acorns is offline Find More Posts by Acorns
Old Oct 05, 2010, 11:51 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorns View Post
He did, but the work quickly overwhelmed him so he stopped. I heard he built really good systems though, so it can be done.
So if the work overwhelmed him.... was it from so much demand?

Or was he too busy with other things to devote proper attention to building FPV/ARF's/RTF's?
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Oct 06, 2010, 02:51 AM
UK
Joined Feb 2008
441 Posts
We already offer this service. The first 2 are almost complete, just waiting for the ESCs to arrive.

All the best

Simon
(from FirstPersonView.co.uk)
FPV-UK is offline Find More Posts by FPV-UK
Old Oct 06, 2010, 03:01 AM
France
Joined May 2010
537 Posts
I think the building is an important part of the learning process. You really need to understand how the things works in your plane, that helps you a lot to fly and to fix the problems.
Alcyon13 is offline Find More Posts by Alcyon13
Old Oct 06, 2010, 04:02 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcyon13 View Post
I think the building is an important part of the learning process. You really need to understand how the things works in your plane, that helps you a lot to fly and to fix the problems.
I agree, anyone not willing or able to assemble the system on the ground is not going to want to do what needs to be done to fly the craft safely. I see this with the Multi Rotor Copters all the time. Guys don't want to know anything about what makes them fly or how to tune them for stability. Alls they want to do is fly them and it is not that simple.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Old Oct 06, 2010, 04:16 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,282 Posts
of course I agree with the building part but if there was a webpage with lots of info on it then yea I see new people buying a complete plane. The market is growing so fast I am sure there are a lot of people out there that just would love a plane all put together.

oh course it would need a do and do not sheet .... because if it becomes too easy then people will start doing stupid things because they haven't spent hours figuring out what their system can and can't do.

In my opinion they would sell as the market for such planes is growing by the day.
whakahere is online now Find More Posts by whakahere
Old Oct 06, 2010, 04:33 AM
KragerÝ, Norway
Joined Jun 2010
725 Posts
If you want to have sucsess with your FPV ARF and RTF, it is very important that you use good quality products, and you have your systems IN STOCK. To have them In stock is very important..

I think you will do well
Voguna is offline Find More Posts by Voguna
Closed Thread