SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 04, 2010, 03:26 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
New Product
Cellpro PowerLab 8 Achieves 40A Output and 1344 Watts!

FMA Direct in partnership with REVOLECTRIX is pleased to announce the release of PowerLab 8 v2 Firmware and Charge Control Software upgrade with the following enhancements:

40A max output current
60A max input current
Output Power max 1344W
Expansion Channel mode now available, control up to 16 PL8's from a single PL8 interface
Support for additional battery chemistries

This upgrade is now available to existing owners of v1 PowerLab 8 Battery Workstations and is optional. We will continue to support v1 firmware/software into the foreseeable future. v2 production units will not reach market for a couple of months, but any v1 unit purchased previously or before the time v2 is shipping are elligible for this FREE and powerful upgrade!

IMPORTANT NOTES ABOUT THE UPGRADE: During the upgrade process from v1 to v2, a factory restore will automatically occur in the PL8. All existing Library and User presets will be lost. v1 presets are not compatible with v2 firmware and/or CCS. Prior to upgrading, we highly recommend the following steps:

1) Save any custom presets you may have designed to your PC hard drive one at a time using the command "File > Save Preset [number] to File..." This will enable you to reference the original presets using the v1 CCS so you can manually update the v2 presets to your favored settings. You can also import any custom fuel tables you have developed from saved copies of v1 presets. See details below.

2) Backup all user presets from the v1 CCS prior to updating to v2 using the command "File > Backup All User Presets..." If for any reason you choose to revert back to "v1", you can easily restore all of your v1 presets at one time from this backup.

AFTER THE UPGRADE:

IMPORTANT: v2 presets are not compatible with v1 presets; however, it is possible to run both CCS applications (v1 and v2) side-by-side so you can compare and migrate changes from your older v1 presets to your v2 presets manually. It is also possible to import any custom fuel tables from older v1 presets which were saved down to your PC hard drive. From the v2 installation, click on the preset to which you wish to import a custom fuel table, then use the command "File > Import Fuel Table to Preset [number] > Import Fuel from another Preset File...". Browse your PC hard drive and select the old v1 preset containing the customer fuel table you want to import to the new v2 preset.

Should you elect to revert back to v1 firmware/software for any reason, and you have a backup of all of your user presets (step 2 above), you can restore all user presets into the v1 CCS using the command "File > Restore All User Presets..."

Click the following link to access the v2 CCS Intall Page and start the v2 upgrade.

http://www.revolectrix.com/pl8_software_v2.html

Click the following link to view the latest v2 User Guide in PDF format:

http://www.revolectrix.com/support_docs/item_1369.pdf

PLEASE NOTE, POWERLAB 8 v1 AND ALL COMBOS NOW IN STOCK AT THE REVO STORE:

http://www.store.revolectrix.com/Pro...llpro-PowerLab
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2010, 03:32 PM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Tim,
Will the charger achieve these higher outputs on a 24volt supply? (ie two lead acids in series)

Regards
Peter
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Oct 04, 2010, 03:37 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,659 Posts
Thanks Tim. This has been one of the hardest bits of insider info I have ever had to set on ever . I really wanted to tell everyone they needed to think more powerful when shopping for a power supply or two.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Oct 04, 2010, 03:51 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Tim,
Will the charger achieve these higher outputs on a 24volt supply? (ie two lead acids in series)

Regards
Peter
Hi:

Great question!

Here's the math:

The 1344W comes from full charge on a 8s Li battery, so:

8 x 4.2V = 33.6V x 40A = 1344W

PSU required to achieve full output watts is calculated as follows:

1344W / 0.85 (worst case efficiency) = 1581W required input

PSU required output voltage to achieve full output watts is calculated as follows:

1581W / 60A (max current) = 26.35v

So to achieve the PL8 v2 full power level, we recommend min 26.35v, 60A supply. The PSU should be over-rated on watts at least 10%, so at least 1700W.

I have it on my to-do list to update the PL8 Power Spreadsheet. Should post this information sometime this week.

Tim Marks
Old Oct 04, 2010, 07:16 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Congratulations, that is an impressive boost in power rating without having to change the hardware.

So with the new 60A input limit the max output power from a 12V supply would go up to about 12 x 60 x 0.85 = 612W and from a 24V supply to 1224W.

Is LiMn the new chemistry that was added ?
Are you considering adding support for the new 1.6V-nominal NiZn cells?
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Oct 04, 2010, 08:14 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
Congratulations, that is an impressive boost in power rating without having to change the hardware.

So with the new 60A input limit the max output power from a 12V supply would go up to about 12 x 60 x 0.85 = 612W and from a 24V supply to 1224W.

Is LiMn the new chemistry that was added ?
Are you considering adding support for the new 1.6V-nominal NiZn cells?
Hi:

Correct, correct, and no new presets have yet been added, only "provisions" for new chemistries. This is to say in v2, additional memory was allocated to allow for new chemistries. Yes, I believe NiZn is a possibility down the road.

Tim Marks
Old Oct 04, 2010, 08:43 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,170 Posts
I just got the new epbuddy paraboard and remember reading somewhere that it was not compatible to the pl8, is that true and if so, how do I make it compatible?
GhostRider32 is offline Find More Posts by GhostRider32
Old Oct 04, 2010, 08:48 PM
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Outstanding!! Thanks, Tim/FMA!!!

Charles, I noticed you were running v3.2 when you mentioned the new graph coming out... I can only imagine your pain, serves you right!!

Actually, this free upgrade is going to cost me!! Good timing, though. I'm in the process of finishing my basement and I'm 80% done with electrical. I decided to bring a second dedicated 20 amp line my "Heli Layer" to make it somewhat future proof. If 40 amps of service to one 12'x12' room isn't enough I can always run an extension cord from the bathroom next door...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider32 View Post
I just got the new epbuddy paraboard and remember reading somewhere that it was not compatible to the pl8, is that true and if so, how do I make it compatible?
Frankly, that topic needs its own thread. For those that want to parallel charge and have many different cell counts they would like to charge from time to time, it's a mess, IMO... If I'm allowed one gripe, their node arrangement is it...
SpeedVision is offline Find More Posts by SpeedVision
Last edited by SpeedVision; Oct 04, 2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2010, 08:56 PM
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Moved up...
Old Oct 04, 2010, 08:57 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,659 Posts
My first post running V2 which was months ago. If you look at the lower right had corner of most of my PL8 graphs posted since then they were in fact V2.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=916

My pain was not being able to let everyone know they needed bigger power supplys than they though and that the PL8 was soon to be the most powerful one and cost per watts of charging power was really going to go down.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Oct 04, 2010, 08:58 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,159 Posts
Very nicely done FMA! Many don't quite realize the 1000 watt rating is based on 8s packs. A 1000 watt charger can only charge a 6s pack at 756 watts. With this no charge update we can now charge a 6s pack at a full 1008 watts.

My only question is "how many non-FMA banana plugs will be melted by that 40 amps?"
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Last edited by Gregor99; Oct 04, 2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Transposed numbers
Old Oct 04, 2010, 09:54 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedVision View Post
Frankly, that topic needs its own thread. For those that want to parallel charge and have many different cell counts they would like to charge from time to time, it's a mess, IMO... If I'm allowed one gripe, their node arrangement is it...

Frankly, I think it fits perfectly here. Most people are buying this charger with the specific intent of parallel charging including myself and the paraboard is the slickest parallel charging board out IMO. You don't want to parallel charge, no one cares but I don't remember anyone appointing you as thread moderator about what goes in this thread.
Old Oct 05, 2010, 01:24 AM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
Quote:
Frankly, I think it fits perfectly here.
I can think of a better place to find the info that you seek. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post16049235
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old Oct 05, 2010, 05:15 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,170 Posts
Thats a very constructive way to answer my question. It is the info I need. Thanks.
Old Oct 05, 2010, 06:06 AM
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Frankly, I think it fits perfectly here. Most people are buying this charger with the specific intent of parallel charging including myself and the paraboard is the slickest parallel charging board out IMO. You don't want to parallel charge, no one cares but I don't remember anyone appointing you as thread moderator about what goes in this thread.
Wow, cranky much! For the record, my intention was not to slam your choice to post here or not, it was to suggest that the answer is not simple and could be a topic on its own... That makes me a contributor, not a moderator. I have a PL8 and a Paraboard, so I know first hand what the challenges are. Paraboard great balance board that was designed primarily around the ICharger line (and a few others that use the same type node connection). Short answer, PL8 and the Paraboard are not compatible without having a box of custom adapters on hand... Steve already showed you where the PB thread, so good luck...