HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2010, 12:58 PM
BigBellyRC
Laguna Niguel, CA
Joined Jul 2010
106 Posts
Mini-HowTo
TURNIGY Accucell 6 Charger - How To Make A DC Wall Plug

So if you're like me you probably have this exact charger that you bring to the field, the Turnigy Accucell 6, from HobbyKing. I can say just about everyone at my club has at least one or two of these in their car. At anywhere between $19-$23 a piece they're the best buy out there, price wise and performance wise. The fact is, they're dirt cheap and work great.

We all have our own ways of getting power at the field but the one thing this doesn't come with is a DC power plug to use at home. HobbyKing does sell several wall plugs that will work for around $12-$18, but they're usually out of stock as they only carry a few at a time.

Here's a way to make a power plug for your wall at home:
Find any 'box style' wall plug that you have laying around, maybe from an old cd player, beard trimmer or other electronic device. Look at the "Output Voltage" on the plug. The Accucell 6 can handle 11v-17v Input Voltage. Ideally you want to shoot for a 12v plug. Pay attention to the negative/positive diagram on the back of the plug. This will show you what part of the connector is negative and positive. The solid dot portion is the 'tip' of the plug, the open-ended half circle diagram is the 'outer barrel' of the plug. You will then have to carefully slice open the rubber shroud at the connector end and see which wire is going to what. You'll see one soldered to the outisde of the barrel and another soldered to the inside or "tip". Separate these wires and cut them one at a time making sure to label each one so you know which is positive and which is negative. Again, look back at the diagram on the back of the plug to determine which is which.

You'll need to purchase this plug from Radio Shack: Enercell AdaptaPlug "N", its about $7, or if you can find one that fits you can use that. I had many plugs laying around but unfortunately this is an uncommon diameter plug.

When you're looking at the Enercell AdaptaPlug with the barrel facing you, the Positive pole is on the Left & the Negative pole is on the Right. I believe the Positive pole goes to the tip of the plug. However I believe the Accucell requires the Negative to be to the tip and the Positive to the outer barrel. Therefore you need to solder your negative labeled wire to the positve side of the AdaptaPlug (left side pole if the plug is facing you) [*See Below].

Slip a a large diameter tube of shrink wrap over both wires (large enough to go around the bottom of the AdaptaPlug) and then 2 small diameter pieces of heat-shrink on each wire. Then solder them to the poles on the AdaptaPlug (just like you were soldering on your Deans plugs). Pull the shrink wrap over and heat them down to a snug fit. Now slide the larger tube of heat-shrink up and over the base of the plug, make sure its up all the way and snug as well as covering the other two small wrapped wires. Now heat this up so it shrinks down nice and snug. The AdaptaPlug has little grooved finger nubs that help hold the heat-shrink on snugly once you heat it up.

*[I had it backwards at first so tested it and had to switch them around. If you're not sure or just to be safe, solder the wires on then just fold a few pieces of electrical tape over it to test if you have it the correct way. Plug it into the wall and then plug it into the Accucell, if it works then you got it right, if not, nothing will happen. BE SURE TO UNPLUG EVERYTHING FIRST and switch the wires around and it will work. This will save you the headache of having to cut away your shrink wrape and start over as I had to .

And thats it. You're own cheap wall charger to charge up the night before flying.
KellenR is offline Find More Posts by KellenR
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2010, 01:15 PM
Major Electron Addiction
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Aug 2006
568 Posts
Unless you are charging micro flier batteries, your "wall wart" power supply only has an output of 500mah. Based on the charger specs, I would want to provide at least 10 to 20 times that much power to the charger.
rodsmith123 is offline Find More Posts by rodsmith123
Old Oct 04, 2010, 01:45 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,721 Posts
Nicely writtern article and well presented.

I agree, unless you are only using very small packs, <400mah, a larger power supply would be needed. Even a 2000ma(2A) wall wart would only be marginally capable of charging a Xs2000mah pack. With the 500mah charger, it would take 4+hours to charge a 2000mah pack.
To match the capabilities of the charger, a 7+A DC source would be needed.

But except for the choice of the 500ma wall wart (which might be all you needed), nice job.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Oct 04, 2010, 01:50 PM
BigBellyRC
Laguna Niguel, CA
Joined Jul 2010
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsmith123 View Post
Unless you are charging micro flier batteries, your "wall wart" power supply only has an output of 500mah. Based on the charger specs, I would want to provide at least 10 to 20 times that much power to the charger.
I've made a few of these bad boys. All using different wall plugs, some for me, some for friends. Works really well. This is just an example On mine I used an old wall charger from a cordless drill, can't remember the mAh but it works really well. A 2200 pack takes about 30mins. True though, choose your wall plug that suits you're application.
KellenR is offline Find More Posts by KellenR
Last edited by KellenR; Oct 04, 2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2010, 03:28 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellenR View Post
A 2200 pack takes about 30mins. True though, choose your wall plug that suits you're application.
Not with the wall wart pictured. You're looking at 2+ hours from an 80% capacity discharged 2200 pack, if you don't want to overload your power supply.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Oct 04, 2010, 04:46 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,721 Posts
FWIW, he was using a cordless drill charger wall wart for the 2000mah pack (5-7A?). The charge time for a 2200mah with the 500ma is probably closer to 3-4hrs IMO.

The point as 'pointed' out above is to use a DC wall wart of the appropriate ma output for the packs being charged.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy