HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2010, 11:32 AM
Metallica
Londonderry UK
Joined Nov 2004
415 Posts
Discussion
Not FPV but ROV forum

Hi lads bit off topic but there is a proposal for a ROV (remotely operated vehicle) forum.
It needs a bit more support to get going http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1289187
Now I know its not remote flying but my thinking was that there may be some people with a side interest in rov's as in a way you remote fly it underwater via onboard cameras much like the methods used with the planes in the air.
Also the OSD technology can cross over etc.
I dont imagine that a rov forum would be madly active at the start until word about it spreads out, but apart from the awful yahoo format there is no other place the diy rov builder can call home

Don't mean to spam but i think its only the FPV/RPV flier would understand the allure of looking around in a way we wouldn't normally see.

Feel free to support if you like, if you think its a terrible idea, thats ok too.

I'll lock this thread as am only posting it for information and not a discussion into the rights and wrongs of it.

Thanks for your time
robe_uk is offline Find More Posts by robe_uk
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:36 AM
Metallica
Londonderry UK
Joined Nov 2004
415 Posts
Hi Lads,
Sorry for bringing this up again, I don't know if any of you got a chance to look at the proposed forum but the initial thread was successful enough for a poll thread to be opened.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1321270

Currently things are not going to well as it would appear that the boating fraternity are a bit narrow minded to other peoples interests and appear to me to have a 'not in my back yard' attitude, true the underwater ROVs which the proposed forum would be intended for could be argued are not boats, but I don't see this as a good enough reason not to allow a subforum to be created in the only area that deals with water craft. Some boaters have said that the ROV should go off and be under a robotics forum of their own but I personally feel the there is enough sites out there dealing with general robotics etc that there would not be enough traffic to support it.
On the same token it could be argued that if the poll is struggling to have 75% that there may not be enough interest to even support the underwater ROVs as a subforum, but I feel its the amount 'No' voters thats doing damage. Also as its a new vehicle format to rcgroups it may take some time to grow.

So if any of you First Person Video guys from the sky would like to help out the few First Person Video guys underwater feel free to pop along a lend support.

Cheers Rob

Who am I you may ask?
Well am a wannabe FPV pilot, easystar modded with ailerons waiting to be finished, although I sold my DragonOSD to put cash back into hobby.
I have a MK Quad v1.1 which might get sold and go Tri-copter.
Also a wannabe ROV builder
too many toys lol, oh plus my 3d planes and helicopters.......
robe_uk is offline Find More Posts by robe_uk