SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 04, 2010, 05:59 AM
ROOKIE
Rhode Island
Joined Sep 2008
59 Posts
Build Log
Hostetler Stinson Voyager 108-2

So lets get this started off with alittle background information. About 1 1/2 yrs ago I was in the market for an aircraft! I had learned to fly on a trainer. I was instantly in love with the hobby. I mastered the trainer and stepped up to a great planes Cherokee ARF! I assembled and set it up by myself and needed one click of aile trim to fly it level hands off! This just cemented my love for this hobby! I then purchased a used Yak 54 w a troublesome TT .75! It was ok I could fly inverted and do loops and rolls but it didnt appeal to me so I new I wanted to stay with scale looking and flying aircraft esp GA! Wanting to try out a scale style taildragger I bought a Super Decathalon ARF! O yea I have a soft spot for high wing ga aircraft! Why....I have no idea!! The decathalon taught me the all important lesson that that style plane will lift off long before there is enough speed to fly! I taxied out and nailed it full throttle and lifted off and she was all over the place and cartwheeled into the parking lot between two cars and came to rest on a telephone pole used to mark the parking lot boundries. One wingtip was destroyed and the fuse 3/4's the way from the cowl was "damaged"! This was its maiden flight and I wasnt upset I was excited because I was able to build it back up and fly it again!!! Knowing I had an itch to build I calmed myself down and decided I would go through the ranks assembling and flying all sizes of ARF's then graduate to building. As I didn't want to jump into building w/o the flying skills. Taking yrs to build a plane and then crashing it on the maiden because your not an experienced pilot just scares me..... seems like a real waste and/or stupidity! I was now at the point that I wanted a giant scale ARF. I searched and searched and found H9's 150 size Cessna 182 I fell in love instantly. Bought it, assembled it and have since put over 30+ flights on her since 5/10. The biggest draw back is it gets so much attention at fun-fly's that everyone is always asking me if I built it and I have to say NO ( but then I point out my added details and mods Hee Hee). Having to say no just irks me.

This brings me to the point I'm at now! While I was searching for a giant scale ARF I kept coming across an plane called a Stinson (as I would search for full scale plane then try to find a matching model). The 108 to be exact and I knew I had to build it......someday. That someday has arrived
BROZ is offline Find More Posts by BROZ
Last edited by BROZ; Oct 06, 2010 at 03:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2010, 06:01 AM
ROOKIE
Rhode Island
Joined Sep 2008
59 Posts
Build pics to follow Just wanted to get the ball rolling on this thread!!!
Old Oct 04, 2010, 06:43 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,396 Posts
Subscribed !!!

As I mention to you before, I've had my eye on this one. Since there isn't enough time available to build every model that I like, I'll go through this experience vicariously through you.

Have fun with your build !!!
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Oct 04, 2010, 01:54 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,263 Posts
Hey Broz,

I have a set of the Hostetler Stinson 108-2/-3 plans as well as the fiberglass cowl and pants, and main landing gear set. I won't get to building the plane for a while, but your post prompted me to pull them out and look over your concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROZ View Post
I had planned on building a 108-3 as the plans state they are for a 1948 but the drawing is of the 108 prototype which didn't have flaps, had the small vertical stab/rudder and is from 1946!
Hostetler's Stinson 108 plans are for building both the -2 and -3. The 108-3 vertical stab and rudder outline are drawn in dashed lines, but the vertical stab and rudder ribs that are drawn on the plans (R-1 through R-5) are for the -2. Rudder rib R-1A would be the same for building either the -2 or -3. If you choose to build the -3, it looks like you'll have to draft you own vertical stab, rudder ribs, and tail post. It also looks like you'd have to modify fuselage former F8. All more work, but possible.

The note, "flaps not used on prototype" at the wing flap outline on plan sheet 2 of 2 refers to Wendell's prototype 26.6% replication (model) of the 108, NOT the full-size aircraft which had trailing edge flaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROZ View Post
OK back on topic! I pretty much have the elev/vert stab all framed up! But I noticed the template measurements (side view) of the ribs don't match the measurements on the plans. Also there are 1/16-1/8 differences between the left and right side measurments of the plans! Is this normal?
I measured the horizontal stab ribs on the side view of the plans against the rib templates and can't find where they don't match up. Consider that the side profile of the horizontal stab and elevator is depicted at the centerline of the fuselage, not at any particular rib location.

As far as the 1/16"-1/8" differences between the left and right side of the fuselage, are you measuring from the top view of the fuselage on plan sheet 1 of 2? I measured each former location (left to right side of fuselage centerline) with drafting dividers and only found a 1/32" difference between the left and right side of former F-7 (right side being 1/32" longer).

Good luck with your build and thanks for getting a build log going. Who cut your kit?

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Oct 04, 2010, 06:59 PM
Swartz Creek, MI
Joined Aug 2008
733 Posts
Sweet! I'll be watching this one.
Captainhook1 is offline Find More Posts by Captainhook1
Old Oct 05, 2010, 07:06 AM
ROOKIE
Rhode Island
Joined Sep 2008
59 Posts
OK guys tell me if i'm just being to picky but my measurments are

S2 rib of the stabilizer
Template 5 13/16
Plan 5 15/16

Elevator TE
R/S 12 3/8
L/S 12 1/4

Like I said I've never built before so any and all replies welcome. I'm young and want to keep building alive. As arf's are changing/have changed the game! I want to learn from the pros!!!!

o yea should I even bother using side views for measurments or just measure from the plan to cut parts? Or use largest measurment of the 2 and sand to fit?
Thanks Guys
Old Oct 05, 2010, 07:08 AM
ROOKIE
Rhode Island
Joined Sep 2008
59 Posts
EJ I meant to write "horizontal/elevator all framed up". Sorry for the confusion!!
Old Oct 05, 2010, 07:17 AM
ROOKIE
Rhode Island
Joined Sep 2008
59 Posts
I was chomping at the bit to get the plans and the wood kit. Obviously plans are from Hostetler and wood kit from Precision Cut Kits! Plans arrived first and I was super stoked at the size of this beauty. I had made measurments to get an idea of the size but to see the plan was WOW awsome. Then the wood kit arrived. Small box and VERY light. I was taken aback! Thought it would be heavier.

This is my goofy A$$ reaction when I found the plans my wife decided not to tell me had arrived. Picture taken by my 2yo daughter. (see loves daddys planes)
Last edited by BROZ; Oct 05, 2010 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Had to justify my goofy a$$ face!
Old Oct 05, 2010, 07:50 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,396 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't worry about the discrepencies.

I checked MOST of my PCK parts against the Hostetler 195 templates. They matched perfectly.

Build your stab so that it is equal on both sides. I'd pick the larger dimension. Then build your elevators to match.

After awhile, you'll get a feel for what's going on. In the meantime, keep asking questions. We'll help, if we can.

EJ and the Captain are two excellent builders. Both come up with innovative ideas to solve problems. You are fortunate to have them follow your progress.
Old Oct 05, 2010, 08:00 PM
SENTA A PUAAA!!!
Brazil, RJ, Miguel Pereira
Joined Apr 2007
919 Posts
Hope you don't mind if I take another seat here!
Wilian Amaral is offline Find More Posts by Wilian Amaral
Old Oct 05, 2010, 11:48 PM
Mount Juliet, TN
Joined Feb 2008
453 Posts
I have to admit your enthusiasm is impressive! I'm subscribed too!
ska2000 is offline Find More Posts by ska2000
Old Oct 06, 2010, 08:33 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,396 Posts
Looks good !
Old Oct 06, 2010, 08:57 AM
ROOKIE
Rhode Island
Joined Sep 2008
59 Posts
The doublers on the stab trailing edge have been glued together and the elev leading edge/taper to wing tip is in the works as of now!
Old Oct 06, 2010, 12:00 PM
Slaton, TX
Joined Oct 2008
735 Posts
BROZ, Looks nice, I will be watching along as well.

Trey
supercubman is offline Find More Posts by supercubman