SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 03, 2010, 06:43 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,495 Posts
Discussion
Are there any Peanut Scale Moddlers out there?

I have been reading up on a lot of these "Peanut Scale Models" and they seem like a very sophisticated alternative to all the PZ and Flyzone micros out there... with the indoor season coming up, I was wondering if anyone out there has any interest or has built any of these in the past...
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2010, 07:14 PM
Plain Broke and Broke Planes!
Hoschton, GA
Joined Jul 2003
1,768 Posts
When I was in my teens I built and competed in peanut scale. We flew in an old blimp hanger at Lakehurst NAS( where the Hindenberg went boom). Lots of people are converting peanut scale kits to micro RC, they're a good fit for the parkzone gear. Of course most are stick and tissue and are going to take a good bit of modding to convert. Google will find you lots of free plans. Flying Models magazine regularly runs plans. I'd love it if we had some kind of peanut scale rc competition locally...
pcphill is online now Find More Posts by pcphill
Old Oct 04, 2010, 12:43 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcphill View Post
When I was in my teens I built and competed in peanut scale. We flew in an old blimp hanger at Lakehurst NAS( where the Hindenberg went boom). Lots of people are converting peanut scale kits to micro RC, they're a good fit for the parkzone gear. Of course most are stick and tissue and are going to take a good bit of modding to convert. Google will find you lots of free plans. Flying Models magazine regularly runs plans. I'd love it if we had some kind of peanut scale rc competition locally...
I cant imagine how perfect it would be to have a venue like Lakehurst to fly indoor model planes!

I have found a number of plans, but not sure if I have the wherewithal to complete such an intricate project... As far as competition; I have been into RC for a few years now and I cannot remember ever seeing a peanut competition in these parts. I would really like to see a few of these models at the indoor events this year, I have never seen one in person....

would you ever build another peanut model... or was it a headache working on such a small scale?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2010, 03:40 PM
Plain Broke and Broke Planes!
Hoschton, GA
Joined Jul 2003
1,768 Posts
Most of them are really pretty simple. Depending on how intricate the plane you're modelling is. Simple stick frames with a few cut formers for curved shapes, and a few wing ribs. I think there is a club somewhere in GA thst does freeflight contests. I was thinking it would be cool to have an RC conversion contest. Scale judging and a flight duration contest with a specific size of battery.
pcphill is online now Find More Posts by pcphill
Old Jan 02, 2011, 12:06 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,189 Posts
I didn't see this until now.

There are a number of Indoor Freeflight clubs that regularly fly rubber-powered peanut scale events. I can hook you up with some websites devoted to freeflight rubber power if you like. AMA will have a list of model clubs in your area and you might be able to find an Indoor club nearby.

But, I am not aware of any organized RC peanut modelers/flyers. With the new micro-RC gear, it shouldn't be all that hard to set up a Peanut scale model for RC.

Nightowl
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Jan 04, 2011, 02:21 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,495 Posts
thanks! I am about to start indoors on thursday, hope to build a gulliows kit before the end of the season...
RCG Plus Member