Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 03, 2010, 06:58 AM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
Discussion
Easy Glider removable tail.

I was faced with the problem of packing my new EasyGlider Pro for a trip and decided to make a removable tail. Not having access to too many tools I did this simple bodge.

Mark out a couple of parallel lines for spars (carbon tube)

Cut slots for the spars and glue them in. I used epoxy and microballoons, PU would probably be good as well. I 'cut' my slots with a soldering iron. You may be neater...

Clean up and then cut through the spars and tail either side of the area that glues to the fus. I used a Dremel and it spread carbon dust over the inside of the cut edge Thinner carbon tube goes inside the spars to join them. I used a bit of tape on the inner tube to make a rigid fit.

I reinforced the hinge on the centre section by cutting it free and CAing a strip of PeelPly into a slot cut into the tail and elevator section. The elevators are driven by a carbon rod in each half.

The whole thing is considerably more packable for transport and minmises hanger rash.

mr_editor is offline Find More Posts by mr_editor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2010, 07:24 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,894 Posts
Hah! Coincidence: I've just been taking photos of my take on a removable EG tail! I'll post shortly..
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Oct 03, 2010, 07:28 AM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
Raining there too eh?
Old Oct 03, 2010, 07:32 AM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,894 Posts
Actually no (well, not much, which is the Irish equivalent of "no")..

Gonna maiden it this afternoon. Build pics post maiden only (in case of karma interference)!
Old Oct 03, 2010, 05:29 PM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
Hope the maiden went OK....
Old Oct 03, 2010, 11:56 PM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,894 Posts
'twas "OK"...

Pics soon.
Old Oct 05, 2010, 04:33 PM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,894 Posts
Recently finished my version of this. I went for the WHOLE tail coming off! OK, the tail unit isn't as easy to pack as a flat elevator only, but it's so light that it can be chucked anywhere in the car and doesn't come to harm really. I intend to eventually build a liddle triangular correx box wid a widdle lid for it...

The tail unit bolts to the fuz with two nylon bolts, linkages for rudder and elevator are quick-release balls joints from Sullivan. Stock snakes were replaced with Gold 'n rods to allow for the use of the Sullivan hardware (MPX snakes were too thin).
Old Oct 05, 2010, 04:56 PM
isoaritfirst
Not a Brummie/but close
Joined Sep 2005
1,403 Posts
here how I did it - a little simpler I think Chris.
Tailplane and fin glued together and plastic tube inserted up the inside of the fin, and a tap run up it for a plastic bolt. I did fly it for 12 months without the tailplane and fin glued together, just chose to glue it one day as i though it may maintain the incidence better. Its actually no difference.
Hole melted through from bottom of fus to line up with the plastic insert. Epoxy board slotted through sides of fus to retain the bolt as it tightens the tail assembly down.
I stayed with the MPX supplied bolt on snake retainers and made the bottom rudder hinge simply slip into a slot wioth a retaining pin.
isoaritfirst is offline Find More Posts by isoaritfirst
Last edited by isoaritfirst; Oct 08, 2010 at 02:40 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2010, 03:39 AM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isoaritfirst View Post
here how I did it - a little simpler I think Chris.
Tailplane and fin glued together and plastic tube inserted up the inside of the fin, and a tap run up it for a plastic bolt.
Hole melted through from bottom of fus to line up with the plastic insert. Epoxy board slotted through sides of fus to retain the bolt as it tightens the tail assembly down.
I stayed with the MPX supplied bolt on snake retainers and made the bottom rudder hinge simply slip into a slot wioth a retaining pin.
I went for two bolts for alignment reasons. I used nylon nuts where you used a tapped tube: I didn't have a tap for that thread on hand. Also, while I'm doing things, my main goal is speed of rigging at the field. This takes 1 minute
Old Oct 06, 2010, 05:14 AM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
Mine takes under 30seconds. And packs smaller.

But is nowhere near as well engineered. Just glue and tape.
Old Oct 06, 2010, 06:13 AM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,894 Posts
Right, we'll have to gather at a slope for a 3-way rigging contest!

"Gentlemen, rig your Easygliders!"

Who's gonna do the timing?
Old Oct 06, 2010, 06:37 AM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
If we're going for a record do we need an FAI adjudicator?
And can any of us do it in less than the time Iņaki can fly an F3F course?
What would be the equivalent of a 'crow through'? For me having the tape already cut to length and you guys having pit-popsies handing you screwdrivers?
No! This pressure is too much. it's not what I signed up for.
Keep your offers of money and fame - I'm in this sport because I'm a soul flyer!!!
Last edited by mr_editor; Oct 06, 2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2010, 01:10 PM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,894 Posts
Ooh, I dunno, if we can employ Pit-Bunnies..