HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2010, 12:15 AM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Rave
Eflite foam Warbird appreciation thread

With the exception of the little P-40 and the slow-flying biplanes, the days of the Eflite foam warbirds appear to be gone for good... but some of us are still lucky enough to have one or two in our hangars.

Each of the planes in this short lived series was special in its own way. To this day folks seem to get a dreamy, far away look in their eyes when talking about their old Eflite P-47s and P-38s.

Share some pictures and info of your favorite current (or deceased) Eflite warbird!

I currently have the P-38 and the Hawker Sea Fury in operational condition and they're each superb airplanes and they're each almost too nice to fly.

Here's the Sea Fury, completely stock (save for the special prop) with the optional Park 480/1020kv motor. It's showing some wear after two years of light flying duty. The stock retracts aren't great but otherwise, it's a thoroughly lovely model. It flies like a shining example of an electric warbird- it's reasonably fast, stable, predictable and stalls only occur with plenty of warning and without drama. If all my planes flew this well, I'd be a happy man. Most importantly, it's a stunner in the air.
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2010, 10:36 AM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
So nobody wants to share?

Maybe it has been too long since these birds were available.

While there have been some good foam warbirds in recent years, none have matched these planes for scale detail, flight performance and price. They were really something special, IMO.
Old Oct 05, 2010, 11:02 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,281 Posts
I keep an eye out all the time for one of the P-47's, but never seem to find any. Just checked out the video that came up in a review and it really looked like a great flier. Sounded pretty good too with the Park 450 the reviewer used. Wish I would have gotten into this hobby a bit sooner. Sure lookes like I missed out on a gem.
V2rider is offline Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Oct 05, 2010, 11:19 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
You guys are singing my song! Whilst E-Flite have done some nice foamy bipes (although why do YET ANOTHER red Fokker DVII when there were so many other choices GRRRRRR! ) but what happened to the foam warbirds. Are they perceived as competing with PZ? - they certainly don't in my mind. GWS had bought out a couple of well designed slightly larger ones (FW190 and P40) before they fell on their face in the mud but now it looks as though Ming's pretty much got the market to himself.

Is the perception - or the reality - that todays incomers to the hobby don't have the time, will or patience to put something together and even, horror of horrors, PAINT IT THEMSELVES?

I'm just in the process of restocking my pile of unbuilt GWS warbirds in white unpainted foam so that I'll still have some fun foamies that I can put together cheap and quick and fix easy when I get it wrong. The trouble with todays pretty stuff is it looks real pretty until you find yourself flying it at negative altitude and then it just looks a mess.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Oct 05, 2010, 11:28 AM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,682 Posts
Me with my e-flite p-38 stock park 450 power system-22 flights on her so far and loving every minute of her. Love the fact shes just at home at the club field as she is at my local park up the street.

Did all the fixes from the build thread on here and hope that she survives a long time!
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Oct 05, 2010, 05:36 PM
United States, OH
Joined Dec 2006
207 Posts
Love my seafury, though it would be considered more of a reno racer with Turnigy 35-36C. I flat out hauls and I have put more flights on it than any plane in my stable.

I love the eflight. Wish I would have purchased a P-38.
Blue Jacket is offline Find More Posts by Blue Jacket
Old Oct 05, 2010, 05:57 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
I love my P-38 so much that I have a spare NIB waiting for the day that the glue out weighs the airframe.
I am 1 motor down waiting on some replacement parts but it will get back in the air and it will continue on for as long as I can keep it.
Below are a couple pics of the plane that I have affectionately called "Gilligan's Down" I have nose art I made for it but have never gotten around to applying it.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Oct 05, 2010, 08:01 PM
Sacramento CA. USA
Joined Jan 2004
402 Posts
Still have my P47D.

http://www.wagnerg.com/hobbies/P47D/

George
wagnerg is offline Find More Posts by wagnerg
Old Oct 06, 2010, 06:39 AM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Very cool stuff, guys!! It's great to check out pictures of other survivors of the dwindling population of Eflite foam warbirds.

So if they had continued this series, what do you suspect would have come next? What would you have wanted?

They already hit two rare and/or special planes (P-38 and Hawker Sea Fury) and a seldom moddeled version of a favorite (the razorback P-47) so it seems like they were willing to take chances.
Old Oct 06, 2010, 08:06 AM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,682 Posts
i was hoping forsomething janese next.
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Oct 06, 2010, 09:51 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
They're a bit too "pretty" for me (for which read fragile/susceptible to hangar rash) but if you look at the range of stuff that Alfa models has put out you'd have thought that E-Flite could match them or better them?

BF 109F ; Hawker Tempest Mk V; P47D Thunderbolt; Albatros DV; Fokker DRI; P51B; P51D; Focke Wulf 190 D-9; Spitfire Mk V; Bristol Beaufighter; F4F Wildcat; Lavotchkin La-7; Nakajima Ki 84A Hayate; Corsair F4 U-1; Focke Wulf 190 A-8.

I'd settle for pretty much any of those made and priced the E-flite foamy way and that's without some real obvious ones like Hawker Hurricane; Vickers Wellington; B-25; JU 88; Mosquito; Zero etc
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:28 AM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Alfa has a DR!??? Googled and found nothing. Link please Roger.

Thanks
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
Old Oct 11, 2010, 06:27 PM
Omaha, NE
Joined Aug 2004
152 Posts
E-Flite P-47

Here's some pix of my P-47. E-Flite 480 motor, no rudder servo or landing gear. 2100 mah 20C Lipo battery. Great flying airplane. These were taken on Oct. 3, 2010. Enjoy guys.

Snoop42
snoop42 is offline Find More Posts by snoop42
Old Dec 27, 2010, 04:29 PM
USA, NJ, Red Bank
Joined Sep 2010
220 Posts
I've been flying the pants off of my E-Flite P-38 that I only recently picked up a couple of months ago and it is superb. I ran it so low that it even comes in dead-stick with no surprises. EPO current ParkZone type composition with a couple of engineering enhancements would make this airplane a stick of dynamite. It's visual effect is just too cool. Anybody reading this comment....if you have any E-Flite P-38 parts you would like to sell or whole planes, please call Steve in N.J at ...732-530-2061....Thanks....
eggsplurt is offline Find More Posts by eggsplurt
Old Dec 27, 2010, 04:54 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop42 View Post
Here's some pix of my P-47. E-Flite 480 motor, no rudder servo or landing gear. 2100 mah 20C Lipo battery. Great flying airplane. These were taken on Oct. 3, 2010. Enjoy guys.

Snoop42
The best flying warbird ever!!! I still have mine as well.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale