HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2010, 07:51 AM
Low-budget RC
Australia, New South Wales, Hamilton
Joined Sep 2010
48 Posts
Discussion
Pond Racer inspired design

This is an idea that's been floating around in my head lately that I would absolutely love to have a crack at, but unfortunately don't have the money to at the moment. I just think it'd look like sex in the air and go like a rocket with the right electronics. I loved the Pond Racer's two huge engines in front of the canopy, just made it look like it was there to kick ass and take names. Anyway . .

I would build the fuselage up so it was 3D instead of flat foam, so the battery and electronics could be mounted inside.

Vertical stabilisers mounted on either tip of the tail would mean all control surfaces sat in the prop wash, meaning good slow speed handling

Main wing would be of the KFm2 or KFm3 variety, but could easily be made KFm4 or KFm6 for more of an aerobatic style.

Construction materials are fairly limited here in Australia (plenty of EPS but no EPP. Have found that heavy, solid blue stuff but only in 12.5mm and 25mm thicknesses) so that bit is kind of up for interpretation.

Dimensions:
WS 80 cm
Length 70 cm without motors/props

According to the numbers I plugged in the CG is around the red dot in the plan pic. I haven't really done any sort of aircraft design before so whether or not these figures actually work is beyond me.

What's everyone think? Would this work? Should I start saving for a stack of new electronics or go back to the drawing board?
Serever is offline Find More Posts by Serever
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2010, 08:39 AM
Low-budget RC
Australia, New South Wales, Hamilton
Joined Sep 2010
48 Posts
Checked some local suppliers and I can get 6mm EPS. If I can get to them early next week I'll try and get a model started for a glide test.
Serever is offline Find More Posts by Serever
Old Oct 03, 2010, 08:47 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,343 Posts
That CG position looks right, and it also looks like it will be difficult to get it there without a lot of ballast.
Whiskers is offline Find More Posts by Whiskers