Old Oct 02, 2010, 04:56 AM
Newbee
Mornington Vic
Joined Mar 2010
161 Posts
Discussion
Old Enya Engines

Hi All
Is there a list of all (or most) of the older Enya's with the specs, eg. dimensions, ringed, non ringed etc.
Thanks Barry
kakariki is offline Find More Posts by kakariki
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2010, 12:44 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2010
419 Posts
Probably not. Enya made dozens of engines in the laster 40 years
iluv2fli is offline Find More Posts by iluv2fli
Old Oct 02, 2010, 02:24 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Enya goes back a lot more than 40 years:
"The very first model engine produced by Enya was the 63 which Saburo Enya used at a flying meet in 1949. In October 1949, two types, No.1 and 2 were marketed under the name Enya "Typhoon" 63. Type No.1 was a plain bearing and shaft rotary valve engine, while Type No.2 was a twin ball-race and disc rotary valve model. Only Type 1 reached production levels. The 63 was replaced by 60 in 1956.

In February 1950, the quantity production of model engines began with the very first Enya 19 - a sandcast engine with a 3-bolt front housing, produced in small numbers until the introduction of the Enya 19 Model 4002, which featured an oval exhaust and head fins higher at the front. (the corresponding Red Head sandcast 29 appeared in April 1952-with 4 bolt housing). Slotted screws used on these, "Made in Japan" cast into L.H. mounting lug adge - 4 bolt front-housing and head.. This die-cast 4002 started production circa 1953, followed by the Enya 19 Model 4003 in about 1955, which featured a long, "slopey" intake and thin-walled rectangular exhaust, "flat" on top head fins."
http://www.supercoolprops.com/articles/enya.php
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Oct 02, 2010, 03:19 PM
RoyalAustralianEasyMoneyE arner
Australia, QLD, Hervey Bay
Joined Nov 2006
838 Posts
Mate, see if you can track down a bloke on here with the "nic" of Downunder, I'm pretty sure that he's got it actually mapped out and I'm also pretty sure that he's posted it here.

BTW I'm a huge Enya fan myself

Cheers

RZ
Red Zephyr is offline Find More Posts by Red Zephyr
Old Oct 02, 2010, 05:06 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2010
419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan View Post
Enya goes back a lot more than 40 years:
"The very first model engine produced by Enya was the 63 which Saburo Enya used at a flying meet in 1949. In October 1949, two types, No.1 and 2 were marketed under the name Enya "Typhoon" 63. Type No.1 was a plain bearing and shaft rotary valve engine, while Type No.2 was a twin ball-race and disc rotary valve model. Only Type 1 reached production levels. The 63 was replaced by 60 in 1956.

In February 1950, the quantity production of model engines began with the very first Enya 19 - a sandcast engine with a 3-bolt front housing, produced in small numbers until the introduction of the Enya 19 Model 4002, which featured an oval exhaust and head fins higher at the front. (the corresponding Red Head sandcast 29 appeared in April 1952-with 4 bolt housing). Slotted screws used on these, "Made in Japan" cast into L.H. mounting lug adge - 4 bolt front-housing and head.. This die-cast 4002 started production circa 1953, followed by the Enya 19 Model 4003 in about 1955, which featured a long, "slopey" intake and thin-walled rectangular exhaust, "flat" on top head fins."
http://www.supercoolprops.com/articles/enya.php
All I said was Enya made dozens of engines in the last 40 years. That's a fact. The fact that Enya is more than 40 years old does not void my statement.

Same for OS, Fox, K&B and many other companies. Doesn't matter what engines they made or when just the fact that they made dozens in the last forty years.
iluv2fli is offline Find More Posts by iluv2fli
Old Oct 02, 2010, 09:44 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,034 Posts
The OP got a couple of replies over on RCU but there's no harm in repeating them here for others who may not use RCU and are interested. These lists are by no means complete though but cover most engines we might run across.
downunder is online now Find More Posts by downunder
Old Oct 02, 2010, 10:58 PM
NM2K
Ringgold, GA, USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
The OP got a couple of replies over on RCU but there's no harm in repeating them here for others who may not use RCU and are interested. These lists are by no means complete though but cover most engines we might run across.

Thanks, Downunder. Much appreciated.

Ed Cregger
Artisan is offline Find More Posts by Artisan
Old Oct 03, 2010, 03:05 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
As I'm the guy who wrote that stuff on the Supercool Racing Propellers website, I would be happy to email to anyone my latest (and LAST! ) Enya epic entitled the Enya Model Engine Compendium. Contact me direct at - bobshirl@bigpond.com (there is no charge). I see no point in hiding this information (which has probably consumed at least 300 hours of my time) away from the few guys who are interested, and lets face it - in 25 years time, nobody will even know of Enya engines. BOB ALLAN.
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Oct 03, 2010, 08:46 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,034 Posts
Seeing I have a copy of Bob's epic I can guarantee it's worth your while having it as a reference. A lot of effort has gone into this by Bob and a couple of his cronies digging up facts from all over the place.
downunder is online now Find More Posts by downunder
Old Oct 03, 2010, 09:18 AM
St petersburg Florida
Joined Nov 2004
36 Posts
Enya Engines

Bob sure helped me in collecting Enya engines...Thanks to him and his resurce it played a big part on what is good to collect ...One I am trying to find is a SLH 15-A ..But no luck yet ...It was a clone by Thunder Tiger ...Anyone got one ..???? rbonnell@tampabay.rr.com
Grandstand is offline Find More Posts by Grandstand
Old Oct 03, 2010, 03:21 PM
Bill Mohrbacher, MECA Fox Guy
Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Dec 2006
625 Posts
I'm glad Bob is sharing his list, it is truly marvelous work. Work like this will insure that people will know there were Enyas in 25 years! If Bob had not did ths work now, it would be darn near impossible to do in 25 years.

Thats something we collectors do; record history while it can still be done.

Bill Mohrbacher
MECA President
G WILLIE is offline Find More Posts by G WILLIE
Old Oct 04, 2010, 07:50 AM
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
880 Posts
Just got Bob's compendium...amazing work. Thanks for mentioning it, guys, and thanks especially to Bob for doing it. It's easy to take these little pieces of machinery for granted. The development history gives an idea of what really went into it.

Jim
buzzard bait is offline Find More Posts by buzzard bait