HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2010, 10:04 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
910 Posts
Build Log
1988 Starcraft Chieftain 221v - 1:24

Hi All!
I have done a little collecting and am getting ready to start a small model of my personal boat. I have it 1:1 in the drive way, and thought it would look awful nice on a pond, and small enough to pack around!
The model will come out to 11.5'' long and will be powered by an E-flight 250 brushless outrunner, using the Team Losi eXceleron esc. I don't know yet what battery i will use, i am thinking i will use the LiPo battery and charger that are optional for the Losi Micro desert and stadium trucks.
It should be a pretty nice little thing. I dont intend for it to be flying across the pond, i just want it to get up on step and cruise at a respectable clip.
I'll post pics when i start building, but for now here are a few of the boat itself.
Cheers
G-O
Guard-Officer is offline Find More Posts by Guard-Officer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2010, 07:58 PM
Straight up is all I ask
Fairfield Ct USA
Joined Apr 2002
2,315 Posts
An excellent choice
jmolwitz is offline Find More Posts by jmolwitz
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:41 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
910 Posts
Thank you!
I am waiting on my Propeller and a source for the SS 1/16th shaft. (plus i got sidetracked by starting a build of a matching scale truck to tow it)
I have to take some more measurements off my boat before i can start cutting the keel and frames.

Cheers
G-O
Old Nov 30, 2010, 01:57 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
910 Posts
Ok here are some pictures, but not of the boat, yet. I got sidetracked by the idea of taking my 1:36 Team Losi, desert truck and making a scale model of my own pickup truck, a 92, GMC Sierra. I cut the Desert truck chassis in half cut away the battery compartment, and made a brass chassis that holds the front and rear section together and creates a sub0-chassis under the plastic Revell model kit body that i used, (actually from a USA #1 Monster truck, but it has the same interior and body as my real truck.) by the way, the plastic kit did a great job of including parts that can be used to make a normal scale vehicle, such as normal body parts and interior of the vehicle. it was lots of fun to build. I still havent made a filler for the hole in the hood. but that will come. The Rx and ESC unit sit under the cab of the truck and the batter is actually under the hood. It functions really well, but the slipper clutch has to be tightened a LOT. the heavier body really works the clutch hard. I had to adjust the shock locations on teh rear because they were way too soft for teh Much heavier body on it now. But i think i am getting close to my finished functioning. I just need to build the boat, trailer and hitch.

Cheers and enjoy the pics!!!

G-O
Old Nov 30, 2010, 02:09 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,815 Posts
That's awesome!
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Nov 30, 2010, 02:28 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
910 Posts
So far, not much more that planning done on the StarCraft, but it is coming (slowly) i hope i picked the right motor and esc. It will have a small brass four bladed Prop-Shops 0.6'' Dia prop. Thats what i have on my CCGS Dumit model, and it nealy comes up on plane, so this should work out nicely i think.

Cheers
G-O
Old Dec 02, 2010, 11:12 AM
1000 Islands, NY
Joined Dec 2009
460 Posts
Hey G.O.! Nice to see another member of the Starmada here! I'm partial to the old Starcrafts, too.... see here:
http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,405,00.html
http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,404,00.html

I, too, have thought about ways to build a scale-ish version of either one of mine. I've got a couple of shallow-V plastic hulls that might lend themselves to a conversion. I figure if I start with a pre-made hull, the rest will be relatively easy - scratch building a cockpit, windshield, etc. I'll be running an Aquacraft EP-1 on it when done - someday...
Chinewalker is offline Find More Posts by Chinewalker
Old Dec 04, 2010, 10:19 AM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
910 Posts
Haha! Starmada, I love it!
This has been a fantastic boat that for sure! nice job on your restoration projects chinewalker, Graupner may have some hulls that could be used for a model of your boats, but i would personally just do a fibre-glass on wood, you have the real boat right there for reference measurements, and its that much more satisfying to complete them i find.

Cheers
G-O
Old Dec 25, 2010, 06:09 AM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
910 Posts
Hi All!
I have ordered my Stuffing tube and shaft from harbor models, a micro line 1/16 shaft. sounds luike a really nice little unit! I also ordered my prop, a 0.6" 4 blade RH brass prop. Based on how well it works on my Dumit, it should be enough for this model with the motor and higher RPM's (i hope)
Old Feb 08, 2011, 09:26 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
910 Posts
Cut out the transom and Keel. Not much else to report though, waiting on order from Harbor Models.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:50 AM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
910 Posts
My order from Harbor Hobbies came, and I am going to try and make some headway here. I have decided that in order to get a nice solid hull with the maximum amount of space inside, I will try my first fibre glass plug. SO i picked up some balsa blocks and will start shaping it soon hopefully
Cheers
G-O
Old Feb 23, 2011, 09:02 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
910 Posts
Progress!

I received the Harbor models micro line, only to decide it was too long, so i fabricated my own 2 inches shorter. We also fabricated from scratch a brass outboard drive line. All brass plate and tube soldered together. Also, i shaped and formed the hull that will be used. things are coming together nicely.

Here's some photo's for the photo hungry out there!

Cheers
G-O
Last edited by Guard-Officer; Feb 23, 2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2011, 06:50 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
910 Posts
I wasn't happy with making a mold because my fiberglassing still isn't what i would like it to be for such a project, so i opted to use the plug that i shaped as a template to get a frame forward and made a hull from 1/16 ply for the keel and deck and 1/64 ply for the hull and then fibre glass over that. so far so good.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:06 AM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
910 Posts
Fibre glassed the hull and mounted the Stern drive in position, am working on mounting the shaft and motor for best alignment. I also changed the rear springs in my 1:24 chevy, the Losi ones were just too soft for the new body. I also tightened the clutch and shaved the front bumper so the tires dont rub as well as added chrome rims.
Cheers
G-O
Old Mar 28, 2011, 08:59 AM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
910 Posts
Mounted the motor and shaft, hooked it up to the transmitter and ESC (not shown in Pic) and gave it a test spin up, should have enough power, I tried to stop the shaft with my fingers and almost burnt them. so i think i am ok in the power side with this esc.

Cheers
G-O