SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

Flyzone Select Scale Super Cub RTF Review

The Super Cub is the second offering from Flyzone in their "Select Scale" offerings and she is a winner in stand off scale looks and flight!

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan:48 inches
Wing Area:354 sq in
Weight:30.4 oz.
Length:33 inches
Servos:3 micro servos
Transmitter:Tactic TTX404 4 CH 2.4GHz
Receiver:Tactic TR624 6 CH 2.4GHz
Battery:Flyzone 3-cell 1,300mAh LiPo
Motor:1144kV brushless motor
ESC:18A brushless ESC
Charger:Electrifly balancing LiPo charger with AC & DC adaptors
Manufacturer:FlyZone
Available From:Fine Hobby Stores Everywhere
Price:$219.99

In February of 2009 Mike Llewellyn reviewed the Flyzone Cessna 182 Skylane (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=948960) which was to my knowledge the first plane in Flyzone's Select Scale series. I liked what I saw in that review and purchased the Receiver Ready version of the Cessna Skylane and found it lived up to everything nice Mike said about it. It looked good, flew well and got lots of attention when at the flying field. With that background experience I readily accepted the chance to review the new Select Scale, Super Cub RTF with Tactic radio. Of course it didn't hurt my interest that the Cub and Super Cub are my favorite general aviation planes dating back to a ride in a Cub as a teenager. The Super Cub is also available as a Receiver Ready aircraft and that is being reviewed separately by another author. In this review I will cover both the Super Cub and to a lesser extent the Tactic radio. This is my second time using this model of Tactic four channel radio and I find it to be an excellent entry level radio.

Kit Contents

The Kit Includes:

• Super Cub fuselage
  • Brushless motor and ESC installed in the fuselage
  • Tactic 2.4GHz radio system: receiver and 2 servos installed in the fuselage
  • One piece wing with ailerons controlled by one micro servo
  • Main landing gear and suspension gear
  • Pair of wing struts
  • Two propellers
  • 4 AA batteries for the transmitter
  • Flyzone 3-cell 1300mAh LiPo battery pack
  • ElectriFly balancing LiPo charger
  • AC power converter for charger
  • Car accessory plug for DC power for charger
  • 16 page instruction manual

Items I supplied

Tools I supplied:

• Needle nose pliers
  • Phillips screwdrivers 0 & 00 with magnetic tips
  • Small Crescent wrench
  • Thread-lock glue
  • Stick on lead weights (optional)

Promoted Features on the Select Scale Super Cub

Promoted Features:

• Made of Aerocell foam, durable yet light
  • Main Landing Gear features a working suspension
  • Steerable tail wheel
  • Detailed dash panel inside plane
  • Wing has molded wing ribs with the appearance of fabric stretched over them
  • Functional wing struts with scale appearance but removable for storage and transportation
  • Brushless motor
  • Brushless 18A ESC

The Included Tactic radio System

Tactic Radio System Features

• 4 channel transmitter
  • 2.4GHz
  • Spread spectrum technology
  • Secure Link connection between transmitter and receiver
  • Wireless trainer function
  • Digital trims
  • Servo reversing
  • Can operate V-tail planes
  • Can operate Delta Planes

Assembly

The Charger

Although sold as a Ready To Fly (RTF) airplane some minor final assembly is required. This final assembly is relatively quick to do so I suggest you plug the AC/DC adapter into the wall and power up the charger and top of the charge on the EMAX 1300mAh 11.1V 10 C LiPo that comes in the kit to power the radio and motor systems. This is a balance charger and will make sure all three battery cells in the pack charge evenly. Thanks to the AC/DC adaptor and the car accessory power source I can use the charger both at home and at the flying field. Just make sure to watch and check on LiPo battery packs when they are charging per the warnings that come in the kit. LiPo battery packs should always be handled with care and respect for the power they contain.

I monitored the battery pack as it charged and it was fully charged before I had started to attach the wing to the fuselage as discussed below.

Wing

The wing came fully assembled. It is a one piece foam wing with ailerons and one servo installed and connected to the ailerons. The wing and the supplied wing struts can be attached at the flying field for easy of storage and transportation.

Fuselage

The fuselage came with the motor and ESC already installed as well as the receiver and servos for the elevator and rudder. Even the steerable tail wheel came installed on the fuselage. The first assembly was installing the main landing gear onto the fuselage and connecting up the landing gear's working suspension. This was well explained in text and pictures in the instruction manual. A pin from the front of the landing gear mount goes into a hole in a piece of plastic mounted under the fuselage. The back of the landing gear mount is held in place with a screw. Don't tighten this initially as it will also secure the wing strut to the fuselage when the wing is mounted. The suspension is held in place with a screw secured next to the front pin discussed above and a connector with two screws in the center. A magnetic tipped 00 size Phillips worked well. Below are a few pictures of this process.

Downloads

Tail

The second part of assembly was installing the stabilizers as well as the control rods for the elevator and rudder. before installing per the instructions I flexed the control surfaces in both directions a few times to loosen them up so they moved more freely. I slid the elevator control rod into its pushrod guide tube and connected the Z-bend through the hole in the bottom of the elevator control arm. I then fit the horizontal stabilizer over the molded guide posts in the fuselage in the saddle for the horizontal stabilizer. The elevator control horn and the control rod are hidden inside the fuselage. The rudder is controlled with two thin control rods in a push/pull format. As the control rods are slid into place the vertical stabilizer was rotated forward and placed over the two molded guide posts and slide the stabilizer into place and pushed it forward to lock the tail pieces into place. During that process a wire from the tail wheel was carefully slid into the rudder. It was secured in place with a screw per the instructions.

With the tail components installed it was time to connect the control rods to the servos. For the elevator I used the outer hole recommended for more experienced pilots. I raised the elevator and using needle nose pliers directed the elevator control wire into the EZ type connector and then secured the wire with the elevator and servo in the neutral position using some Thread-lock on the supplied securing bolt. I repeated the process twice for the rudder moving it left and right to get the wires into the EZ type connectors and then securing them with bolts and Thread-lock.

The Tactic Radio

The servos came already installed and the rudder and elevator servos came plugged into the receiver as was the ESC and an extension wire for the aileron servo in the wing. The receiver itself was loose in the fuselage with double sided tape supplied to secure it in the fuselage. I thought there would be nothing much to say about the installation but I had to play around with where to put the receiver as the battery did not have a slot to slide into as shown in the instruction manual. I trial fitted the receiver a bit higher than I expected to in the space above the hatch opening in the bottom of the fuselage. This was because I ended up fitting the battery directly above the hatch. The battery was a tight fit there but the plane balanced well as to C/G with the battery there. C/G was 2 3/16" back from the wing's leading edge.. The original position as shown in the instruction manual would have been nose heavy.

While I enjoy getting transmitters with my ultra-micros such as the Flyzone Albatros; I am not usually a fan of many of the radios that come with RTF planes. That is not the case with this Tactic radio system. I have field tested this radio and I like it as a radio. I have tested the TTX404 transmitter with the TR624 receiver at a fun fly event previously with over two dozen radios on 2.4GHz at the same time and had absolutely no problems in maintaining control of my plane. I have skied out the Super Cub to a speck in the sky and had complete control. The spread spectrum technology and secure link have worked well both here with the Super Cub and with the previous plane I flew with an identical radio. I have learned there is much more to this transmitter than meets the eye.

One of the obvious things on the Tactic transmitter is that there is a trainer switch in the left back top corner of the transmitter. However, there is no plug for a trainer transmitter cord. From the twenty page instruction manual available as a download from the Super Cub website I learned on page six that the transmitter has a built-in wireless trainer function that requires no trainer cable. the system connects a teachers Tactic Tx to a student's Tactic Tx by wireless connection. The instruction manual explains how this is done. They say it is not compatible with any other brand. Since I only have the one transmitter I didn't get to test this capability.

The trims on the Tactic transmitter include three digital trims for aileron, rudder and elevator and analog trim for throttle. The transmitter remembers the settings on the digital trims when the transmitter is turned off so the plane will be in trim when the radio system is turned back on for the next flight. Additionally, the transmitter includes servo reversing switches on the front. The red LED is lit solidly when the transmitter is on if the battery voltage is good. The LED will flash and there is an audible warning tone if the voltage goes to low (Time to land and replace batteries if that happens while flying.) From the above mentioned instruction manual I learned that the transmitter has more additional features. There is a built in recharging jack in the transmitter that is Futaba compatible. It can be used if Nicad or NiMH batteries are used to recharge them but should not be used if Alkaline batteries (The type supplied in the kit) are being used. I was surprised to learn the transmitter has both V-tail and elevon mixing. These features while not needed with the Super Cub are available on the transmitter and are part of what makes this "starter" radio well worth keeping for use in other planes should something happen to the Super Cub. The instruction manual explains how to access these functions by holding the control sticks in certain positions as the transmitter is turned on for operation. Of course additional receivers and servos can be purchased to used with this transmitter but it only has the one built in model memory.

Binding the Transmitter and Receiver

Steps to Check and Bind the two together if necessary (Mine arrived bound together.)

• Turn on the transmitter
  • Apply power to the receiver
  • If the receiver LED flashes once and stays on the receiver is bound to the transmitter. If not insert a small screwdriver through the hole marked "BIND" on the receiver and press the pushbutton until the receiver LED glows red and then turns off after about a second.
  • Release the "BIND" button
  • If successful the receiver's LED will flash once and remain lit. If not repeat above steps.

Failsafe Function

The Tactic system has a "Failsafe" function which directs the ailerons, elevator and rudder channels to hold their last recognized position if the receiver suddenly looses signal from the transmitter. The transmitter's throttle can be programmed for "failsafe" setting. this is explained in the transmitter's manual that I downloaded from the Super Cub website given above as the "Manufacturer." It is a helpful manual particularly for the newer pilot.

Mounting the Wing onto the Fuselage

Two plastic mounts on the wing fit into the top of the fuselage and then the wing was slid backwards and the mounts fit into a holder in the fuselage. The front of the wing was secured with a single bolt. The bolt hole was covered with a fake plastic antenna. It snaps in and out of the hole for access to the wing mounting bolt. With the wing secured to the fuselage I added the functioning wing struts to each side of the wing. They were bolted onto the wing with four small bolts each and then to the fuselage with the rear 2 x 15mm bolt that secures the back of the main gear in position. For transportation the rear main gear bolts need to be removed to disconnect the struts and then reinstalled to keep the gear in place. The main wing bolt on the top front of the wing also has to be removed. Thus field assembly/disassembly requires only screwing in and out three bolts. The struts can be completely unbolted from the wing if necessary. The assembled plane easily fits in my Prius and I hope to keep my wing in place so I have no field assembly.

Completion

At this point I mounted a propeller to the front of the Super Cub and placed the second propeller in my tackle box as a spare. I checked out the flight controls and made sure everything was working in the proper directions. I again checked the Center of Gravity (C/G). Per the instructions the range was from 1 3/4 inches to 2 1/4 inches back from the leading edge. Mine balanced without any optional lead at 2 3/16 inches back from the leading edge. As an experienced pilot I was happy with that as my initial balance point. A less experienced pilot might want to have the balance point a little more forward but still within the range given above. I then checked that the control surfaces were in their neutral flight positions and had the range of motion recommended in the instruction manual per the list below. The Super Cub was fully assembled and ready to fly. The assembly was done with a baseball game on the television in the background so my total assembly time was under three hours as I watched some of the game while I did the assembly and shot the assembly pictures. the directions for the kit and the transmitter were read with no distractions.

Author's Note

Be careful working with the small 2 x 15mm bolts used in the back of the main landing gear and to secure the struts to the fuselage. They are small and can be hard to find if dropped in tall grass. Use the proper size screwdriver with these bolts as they get removed and installed everytime the wing goes on or off.

Modification During Test Flying

Using a new blade in my Exacto knife I trimmed some foam from under the battery pack (From a ridge of foam) and inside the fuselage just in front of the hatch to partial fit the planes battery pack in there. This moved the C/G to 2 1/8" behind the plane's leading edge. The reason I did this was to better secure the battery pack so that it wasn't pressing against the hatch cover. Hatch cover fit better and plane's handling was not noticeably changed.

Flying

Basics

The Super Cub has the four basic control functions described above of ailerons, rudder, elevator and throttle. The Super Cub has a very scale looking top wing with very little dihedral and turns are best made with a combination of ailerons, rudder and a slight bit of up elevator after the plane is banked. Good turns can be made with just aileron and elevator but the Super Cub is slow in turning with just rudder/elevator. The use of elevator is necessary as the Super Cub, like most planes, tends to drop on the side of the lower banked wing during a turn and a little up elevator helps keep the plane level. I have been very happy with the general flight characteristics and handling of this Super Cub and have found her a pleasure to fly.

I strongly recommend using all four controls to have the most fun flying the Super Cub. the throttle is adjustable not just on full or off. Full throttle is more responsive than scale. I like flying most of the time at half throttle and coordinating rudder and ailerons in maneuvers and bringing in elevator as required. Play with the various stick movement combinations you can have and discover what you can do with this plane.

Taking Off and Landing

The Super Cub can be flown starting with a firm level hand toss forward and level to the ground (Do not toss upwards!). I could toss mine forwards in a glide and start the motor and quickly climb. If there is any breeze the toss or takeoff should be into the breeze. My takeoffs have been from hard packed soil. Due to the small size of the wheels I do not recommend takeoffs or landings from tall grass. Grass trimmed very low with a firm surface beneath would be great but is seldom available. Landings have all been made into any existing breeze and have been made with motor off and on at reduced throttle. I prefer landings at reduced throttle rather than motor off and doing a very slight flair just before touchdown. She has been an easy plane to take off and land.

Aerobatics/Special Flight Performance

General Aviation planes are not usually known for their aerobatic abilities. The Super Cub does all of the basic flight maneuvers very well and can do both large and small loops quite nicely. The model has more power than would be scale but if scale flight is desired just keep the throttle on the lower end of the range. Besides the loops she can also do nice half pipes and tail slides. However, when doing axial rolls she falls off the line a bit as can be seen in the video. If I wanted to do non-scale like aerobatics I found it best to build up speed and go into a slight climb and then start the maneuver in a slight climb for best results. I found she had no problem flying or doing her aerobatics in a park above Reno, Nevada where the altitude was just above 5,000 feet. Even at that altitude she could jump up into the air on takeoff.

Is This For a Beginner?

The Super Cub RTF is neither a hard plane to assemble or fly. Its undercarriage has a lot of flex and absorbs some hard hits very well. However, it does not readily self correct to stable flight when I go hands off on the transmitter. A true RC trainer with more dihedral and self correction capability would be a better choice for a first plane. This Super Cub would make a very good second plane. However, I can see the right Beginner being successful with this plane. Especially with a flight instructor with a second Tactic transmitter as a wireless buddy box control system. Officially, I recommend her as a second plane.

Flight Video/Photo Gallery

Downloads

Conclusion

Assembly of the Super Cub was basically quick and easy. All of the main parts went together quickly and per the instructions. The assembly surprise was that the flight battery did not fit forward in a pocket behind the motor and mostly in front of the access hatch as shown in the instructions. It was a very tight fit right above the hatch and as explained I later modified the battery location in my Super Cub. Aside from that I found the included instructions to be very good and I strongly recommend downloading and printing the instruction manual for the radio.

The plane has nice lines and looks like a Super Cub. It looks even better in the sky than it does on the ground. The suspension system has been flight tested and proven to be operational and not just decorative. She handles basic maneuvers very well and flies more scale like than a number of other parkflyer size Cubs and Super Cubs. The yellow looks good but is not exactly Cub yellow. At least not if the Cub I saw this spring in Oregon was correctly Cub yellow. I am happy with her handling as was my friend Jeff Hunter who flew her at my club's 10th Annual Electric Fun Fly. This Super Cub is not tight with axial turns but then neither is the full scale Super Cub.

For the pilot looking for a parkflyer with standoff scale Super Cub looks and good handling that is ready to fly; I recommend taking a close look at the Flyzone Select Scale Super Cub with the Tactic radio system

Pluses

• Nice looking plane
  • The rib lines and "sag" between ribs in the top of the wing look realistic
  • Easy final assembly
  • Good radio supplied
  • Looks very scale in flight
  • Suspension system works

Minuses

• Receiver and battery didn't install as shown in the instruction manual.
  • The cowl came with a dent in the upper left side that didn't completely press out.

My thanks to Jeff Hunter and our editor Angela for their assistance with this review.

Last edited by Michael Heer; Oct 13, 2010 at 11:05 AM..

Discussion

Old Oct 14, 2010, 01:16 AM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,100 Posts
My RxR version comes tomorrow.
Brent Slensker is offline Find More Posts by Brent Slensker
Old Oct 14, 2010, 02:06 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,530 Posts
Enjoy it during Indian Summer Brent! Mike H
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2010, 03:48 PM
Lusby, MD 20657
Joined Mar 2001
502 Posts
I found my fin did not seat fully on top of the stab. So, I glued the fin to stab using epoxy.
pdansalvish is offline Find More Posts by pdansalvish
Old Oct 14, 2010, 07:15 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,959 Posts
Nice! Now we need a 1" inverted off the deck pass
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Oct 17, 2010, 02:52 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,518 Posts
Great review Mike - good to see another great foam offering!

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2010, 02:44 PM
Portsmouth, RI
Joined Mar 2009
17 Posts
Love my Super Cub (for a foamie) but she looks much better with numbers on her wing. Made with Monokote trim.
akovacs is offline Find More Posts by akovacs
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:39 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,530 Posts
Very nice job with the numbers. She does look better with them added! Mike H
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2010, 04:21 PM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,683 Posts
I got to maiden akovacs this past weekend---wonderful flying little plane. very light on the wing! Akovacs did a great job getting used to her and landing her!
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:21 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,169 Posts
Howdy Cub fans,

I flew this bird twice with the recommended setup. I then proceeded to carve a space for a 4S battery and a 30amp esc. Now this little bird gets up and goes!

Yippee,

-Buzzed

Cub! (3 min 51 sec)
Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Nov 05, 2010, 02:52 AM
Athens - Greece
Joined Oct 2010
16 Posts
@Buzzed Very nice video, nice take off strip you have there.
Athensbashing is offline Find More Posts by Athensbashing
Old Nov 06, 2010, 09:34 PM
old grump
nj
Joined Dec 2009
52 Posts
FLYZONE Supercub rxr OUCH!

I started trying to put my (rtf)?? together last week. They must have had a bad week at the chinese childrens factory. Nothing fits! NO room for battery & receiver in that little hole.Oh well Just some major carving out will fix that . Next the rudder & elevator wouldn't snap in without more carving. The tail wheel won't line up without bending the wire loop. TEST fit the wing (suprise) it took two of us to get it to lock on. Once i finish (if ever) i will never take the wing off again! Then when i tested the rudder servo the horn shattered?? Never heard of that before till i started reading up on this sick bird,seems other people had the exact same thing happen on this kit.Servo arms must be made of chinese noodles.I have many many other servo horns,but none fit this chinese servo. So now i will have to replace the servo that was so hard to hook up in the first place with hitec 55(if it fits).I better replace the other servos as well,wouldn't want the elevator or aileron servo arm to also shatter.DID i mention servo in the wing was binding ,I pryed off the top hatch and fixed that problem,ihope. I had to give up for tonight as i was about to stomp on this poor excuse for a super cub.I have been building planes for 50 years & NEVER have i been so frustrated.I hope i live long enough to finish this (ARF). THE OLD GRUMP
old grump is offline Find More Posts by old grump
Old Nov 06, 2010, 09:56 PM
old grump
nj
Joined Dec 2009
52 Posts
Flyzone Super Cub RXR

JUST did a reply on this plane & forgot to mention it Also has a dent in the left side of the cowling that WON'T come out. So i guess they all will have that problem,among Many others.NOW i read it doesn'l fly very well either without many changes, LIKE a larger motor and esc . Also needs more dihedrel (however you spell that). THE OLD GRUMP
old grump is offline Find More Posts by old grump
Old Nov 08, 2010, 12:25 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,530 Posts
Dear Old Grump:
In regards to your last post the plane does not need more dihedral or a larger motor. It has ailerons and working rudder. Watch the video I posted and you see the plane basically leap into the air on a breezy day and fly fine through out. My wing went on without any problems. However, based on its size and not wanting to deal with connecting and removing the struts, I like you want to keep the wing on and don't plan to remove it. My tail pieces fit on just fine and my control horns, servo arms and tail wheel work fine as well. Another E-Zoner said he had trouble fitting his tail on per the instructions. The battery compartment was tight and the receiver went higher into the fuselage than I expected as well. As I described in my review I carved out a little foam to get a better fit for the battery and showed pictures of the change. I hope things go better for you then they started out. Again, I found the plane to have plenty of power and good control using all four channels. Good luck to you. Mike H
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:54 PM
Glider Guider
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,711 Posts
Where are the flaps and the rounded rudder? Hmmmn...........
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12