No 254 54.16%
Voters: 469. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 01, 2010, 07:49 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Discussion
How do you like your new DX8? Have you had problems?

This is a poll for DX8 owners only. Have you had any unresolved problems with the DX8?
VP

PS
Please, only vote if you personally own a DX8. (You know who you are)! Also if your status changes please say so in a post. There is no way to change your vote if your problem does get resolved or if a problem arises.
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Last edited by Victory Pete; Oct 01, 2010 at 03:54 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2010, 11:11 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,567 Posts
YES - Heli programming / MIX 1 and also tried MIX 2 and gave up trying to other mixes. Programming AUX3 / knob for rudder adjustment on my coaxial heli. Once the mix is active you lose control of the rudder with the rudder stick.

Tried creating another mix with different controls and found that what ever channel is the slave then yo ulose control of it using its regular stick control.

EXEMPLE : AIL to RUD then you lose rudder stick control. ELE to AIL then you lose aileron stick control.

Also got couple of other prefference issues but I guess that can be attributed to my taste, sticks feel weird with there shape.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Oct 01, 2010, 01:22 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
YES - Heli programming / MIX 1 and also tried MIX 2 and gave up trying to other mixes. Programming AUX3 / knob for rudder adjustment on my coaxial heli. Once the mix is active you lose control of the rudder with the rudder stick.

Tried creating another mix with different controls and found that what ever channel is the slave then yo ulose control of it using its regular stick control.

EXEMPLE : AIL to RUD then you lose rudder stick control. ELE to AIL then you lose aileron stick control.

Also got couple of other prefference issues but I guess that can be attributed to my taste, sticks feel weird with there shape.
I have a CX3 and a MCX, I have not tried them yet with the DX8. I used to fly them in the airplane mode with my DX6i.
VP
Old Oct 01, 2010, 01:26 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
I have a CX3 and a MCX, I have not tried them yet with the DX8. I used to fly them in the airplane mode with my DX6i.
VP
The mixing in Aero mode seems to be working so yes, you can fly your BNF helis that way but that doesn't mean it is acceptable to have non-functioning mixers in Heli mode of course
Telrin is offline Find More Posts by Telrin
Old Oct 01, 2010, 01:34 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,567 Posts
Agreed, it is recommended to set them up in acro but its not mandatory. I would like to be able to use my radios programming capabilities.
Old Oct 01, 2010, 03:53 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Please, only vote if you personally own a DX8. (You know who you are)! Also if your status changes please say so in a post. There is no way to change your vote if your problem does get resolved or if a problem arises.
VP
Old Oct 01, 2010, 08:12 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,567 Posts
Can I add the TRANSMITTER VOLTAGE readout is off by 0.3 volts. Just confirmed now with VM.
Old Oct 01, 2010, 08:15 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Can I add the TRANSMITTER VOLTAGE readout is off by 0.3 volts. Just confirmed now with VM.
What kind of meter are you using and which way was it off. I measured the main battery pack voltage in the plane is lower on the DX8 display by .3v. At least it is a safety margin.
VP
Old Oct 01, 2010, 08:21 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,567 Posts
Not talking about the plane. Not sure as of when BUT its been reported that after updating the DX8, the voltage indicator for the DX8 battery pack is off by .3v If I remember correctly YOU also talk about the pack showing lower then usual when fresh of the charge. Thats cause the DX8 is displaying lower then what it really is.

VM used is a Micronta Auto Range High Speed Sampling Bargraph Digital Multimeter .
One that I use constanly and is accurate enough for me to know that the TX pack voltage display is off by .3 atleast since the DX8 rounds off the voltage.
Old Oct 01, 2010, 08:26 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Not talking about the plane. Not sure as of when BUT its been reported that after updating the DX8, the voltage indicator for the DX8 battery pack is off by .3v If I remember correctly YOU also talk about the pack showing lower then usual when fresh of the charge. Thats cause the DX8 is displaying lower then what it really is.

VM used is a Micronta Auto Range High Speed Sampling Bargraph Digital Multimeter .
One that I use constanly and is accuraste enough for me to know that the TX pack voltage display is off by .3 atleast since it rounds off the voltage.
I know you are talking about the Tx Battery, I was talking about the main battery pack in the plane and the telemetry reading on the Tx reads that it is .3v lower than what my expensive Flukes read. So apparently they both read .3v lower than what they actually are. That is what I mean by a safety margin. There is some headroom of .3v.
VP
Old Oct 01, 2010, 08:31 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,567 Posts
OK understand BUT rather the display to be accurate and let me make the safety decision. If the TX pack readout is off, the flight pack read out if off then one must ask what else?

The main pack readout being off also is going to screw with my low voltage alarm setting. The alarm will .3v prematurely trigger. Crap I guess I will take the plane out and test that myself to confirm.

Not that I do not believe you.
Old Oct 01, 2010, 08:35 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
OK understand BUT rather the display to be accurate and let me make the safety decision.
Of course, but at least it is not the other way around. I cant stand when something "digital" is not calibrated, whether it is a meter, thermometer, scale, trim display or anything that "appears" to be precise and accurate. Kind of like the whole Digital CD vs Vinyl Records scam!
VP
Old Oct 01, 2010, 08:53 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,198 Posts
If you find your voltage is off, you can reset your alarm accordingly using the System configuration screen.

The flight pack voltage is measured in the plane, not the transmitter. They do not affect one another.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 01, 2010, 09:03 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,567 Posts
OK just finished checking it out and here's what I found.

The pack I used to test is a 3S lipo that was very very slightly used and NO load it was showing 12.56 on the VM. Under very small load was showing 12.55v.

Then once connected to the plane and powered the pack drop to 12.54v. Now the DX8 telemetry is showing 12.4 and would drop to 12.3 if I would move the sticks so this would mean the voltage would be between 12.35v and higher for it to cycle between 12.3 and 12.4v. So its according to me and my equipement off by .15 give or take.

Could you're result be because you are using connectors between the pack and esc for you're telemetry leads? Mine are soldered directly to the esc leads.
Old Oct 01, 2010, 09:46 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,567 Posts
Removed
Last edited by freechip; Oct 02, 2010 at 08:23 AM.