HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:31 AM
Montreal
Joined Aug 2009
292 Posts
Discussion
Sunracer V3 (III) build

Happy to have finally received my Sunracer V3 in green livery. Wow, she's purdy! So much more eye-popping than the old-hat red and yeller scheme.

For those of who haven't seen it yet, here's a pic from susa.

Alex at SUSA recommended a Hyperion DS09 which is smaller than the usual Hitec HS56HB that everybody seems to use because space in the tail is tight!!
HS56HB are just great for the ailerons but not the best fit for the tail.
So I am installing the Hyperion DS09 at the moment, but because of the way the bulge in the fin was designed, the deepest part of the bulge is just a bit too far aft. As it stands, the servo horn cut at it's shortest allowable length still interferes with the inside of the fuselage bulge, causing strain and making my poor little servo groan in pain.

How in Sam Hill are you guys getting around this, without making a new, longer push rod? I've added a bit of a spacer to the back of the servo so that it sits higher and further away from the bottom of the bulge, giving the horn more clearance but it's still insufficient. Maybe a thicker and higher block, I guess. I'd almost like to use servo tape to mount the elevator servo but I can already see the flaming comments, hehe.

What's the deal? Some magic trick that I need to be enlightened on? Everything else on the build is a piece 'o cake, but that tail servo is a real mother@#$%!!!

Sunracer V3 in green scheme
ARC 28/37/2
ARC 28/37/2.5 (for warm ups yo!)
Phoenix Ice 50 Lite
2x Turnigy Nanotech 1800mah 4S, 35C - 70C (very interested to find out the results of this new battery technology)
3x Zippy Flightmax 2100mah 3S, 35C
2x Hitec HS56HB
1x Hyperion DS09
Graupner 4.75 x 4.75 (for ARC 28/37/2.5 only)
APC 4.5 x 4.1 (for ARC 2 turn only)
APC 4.1 x 4.1 (for ARC 2 turn only

Cheers!

Jabberwocky
Jabberwocky_ is offline Find More Posts by Jabberwocky_
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:34 AM
Speed King
London Heathrow, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Feb 2003
959 Posts
colours look good.
MarkChinery is offline Find More Posts by MarkChinery
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:34 AM
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
where can i get one ?
Steka is offline Find More Posts by Steka
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:49 AM
Montreal
Joined Aug 2009
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steka View Post
where can i get one ?
You can get it from either of these two suppliers. I went with SUSA.

http://www.soaringusa.com/products/p...ategory_id=265

http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...D&ProdID=13273

J
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:22 AM
Speed King
London Heathrow, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Feb 2003
959 Posts
Got a good slection of colours. Green is the best though.

MarkChinery is offline Find More Posts by MarkChinery
Old Sep 30, 2010, 09:27 PM
Battery Puffer
Orange, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
1,121 Posts
If your horn is hitting then cut it shorter and drill a new hole on the arm closer to the spline. Most epoxy servo right to the side. You dont need much throw for elevator.

Mark
MarkF is offline Find More Posts by MarkF
Old Oct 10, 2010, 03:36 PM
Gravity Sucks!
Castle Rock, CO
Joined Aug 2008
411 Posts
I'm thinking of getting this same one, the green is sweet.
I'm looking for recommendations on setup. This will be my first pylon. Fastest thing I have flown is an HET F-16 70mm fan on 4S. It was pretty fast, but probably nothing like this baby.

Servos?
Batteries?
Motor/ Prop - I want to go with NEU, but not sure which one.
ESC - Also, are most ESC's capable of 3S and 4S using the built in BEC? I'm confused about that.
Rx? - I fly JR. I have heard you don't want to put the cheap Spektrum Rx's in one of these. I was looking at the carbon fuse Spektrum Rx's.

Some other questions:
If you epoxy the servo in the tail, how do you get it out if need be?
Do most of you use a switch and charge jack of some sort so you don't have to pull the wing when you charge?

Thanks for the help. My experience is with giant scale IMAC planes, but I saw one of these at the field and was amazed and want to get one.
smarks is offline Find More Posts by smarks
Old Oct 10, 2010, 05:00 PM
spartanburg, S.C. (US)
Joined Jul 2009
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwocky_ View Post
happy to have finally received my sunracer v3 in green livery. Wow, she's purdy! So much more eye-popping than the old-hat red and yeller scheme.

For those of who haven't seen it yet, here's a pic from susa.

alex at susa recommended a hyperion ds09 which is smaller than the usual hitec hs56hb that everybody seems to use because space in the tail is tight!!
Hs56hb are just great for the ailerons but not the best fit for the tail.
So i am installing the hyperion ds09 at the moment, but because of the way the bulge in the fin was designed, the deepest part of the bulge is just a bit too far aft. As it stands, the servo horn cut at it's shortest allowable length still interferes with the inside of the fuselage bulge, causing strain and making my poor little servo groan in pain.

How in sam hill are you guys getting around this, without making a new, longer push rod? I've added a bit of a spacer to the back of the servo so that it sits higher and further away from the bottom of the bulge, giving the horn more clearance but it's still insufficient. Maybe a thicker and higher block, i guess. I'd almost like to use servo tape to mount the elevator servo but i can already see the flaming comments, hehe.

What's the deal? Some magic trick that i need to be enlightened on? Everything else on the build is a piece 'o cake, but that tail servo is a real mother@#$%!!!

Sunracer v3 in green scheme
arc 28/37/2
arc 28/37/2.5 (for warm ups yo!)
phoenix ice 50 lite
2x turnigy nanotech 1800mah 4s, 35c - 70c (very interested to find out the results of this new battery technology)
3x zippy flightmax 2100mah 3s, 35c
2x hitec hs56hb
1x hyperion ds09
graupner 4.75 x 4.75 (for arc 28/37/2.5 only)
apc 4.5 x 4.1 (for arc 2 turn only)
apc 4.1 x 4.1 (for arc 2 turn only

cheers!

Jabberwocky
i think you will have problems with 4s fitting.... 28mm would not fit in my sr v3.. As far as servos use goop. Thats what i did with no problems. Im running jr digitals...
Robby
robbyvaughn9 is offline Find More Posts by robbyvaughn9
Old Oct 10, 2010, 05:03 PM
spartanburg, S.C. (US)
Joined Jul 2009
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarks View Post
i'm thinking of getting this same one, the green is sweet.
I'm looking for recommendations on setup. This will be my first pylon. Fastest thing i have flown is an het f-16 70mm fan on 4s. It was pretty fast, but probably nothing like this baby.

Servos?
Batteries?
Motor/ prop - i want to go with neu, but not sure which one.
Esc - also, are most esc's capable of 3s and 4s using the built in bec? I'm confused about that.
Rx? - i fly jr. I have heard you don't want to put the cheap spektrum rx's in one of these. I was looking at the carbon fuse spektrum rx's.

Some other questions:
Do most of you use a switch and charge jack of some sort so you don't have to pull the wing when you charge?

Thanks for the help. My experience is with giant scale imac planes, but i saw one of these at the field and was amazed and want to get one.
the nose comes off for charging the battery so you dont have to worry with the wing all the time.. THE ICE ESC WILL HANDEL UP TO 6S WITH NO PROBLEMS.
robbyvaughn9 is offline Find More Posts by robbyvaughn9
Old Oct 10, 2010, 06:36 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarks View Post

Servos?
Batteries?
Motor/ Prop - I want to go with NEU, but not sure which one.
ESC - Also, are most ESC's capable of 3S and 4S using the built in BEC? I'm confused about that.
Rx? - I fly JR. I have heard you don't want to put the cheap Spektrum Rx's in one of these. I was looking at the carbon fuse Spektrum Rx's.

Some other questions:
1) HS-56HB or HS-65HB work well for this plane (mine has HS-56HB and has gone ~165mph with no issue
2) 2200mah 45C 3s is about as much as you can fit, maybe you can fit a 2650mah. Thunderpower is te best money can buy, or so they say. I love my Nano cells from hobbycity. 4s will be next to impossible to fit in the SR, unless you run 2-2s batteries in series one behind the other.
3) Motor entirely depends on how fast you would like to go. An 1105-2.5Y would get you 130mph or so. An 1112-1Y with a 5x5 will get you more like 165mph. An 1110-1Y with a 4.75x4.75 and you'll see more like 185mph and almost 1000W static!
4) The ICE series ESCs have been great for me. The ICE100 Lite would fiit well, as well as the PHX80. The ICE can run on 4s with the built-in BEC, the PHX obviously could not. The PHX built in BEC would be ok on 3s, or so it seems.

5) I fly 72MHz, so i can't really say what is good for spectrum. The bigger the better, or so it seems from what i've read. The AR7000 has a decent reputation, or so it seems. The real way to go would be Futaba, based on the reputation that I have read. Keep in mind that with all things 2.4GHz input voltage is critical, so it may be in your best interests to run an external BEC and Rx battery for reciever power, especially with the PHX ESC.

The only reason to remove the servo from the tail is if the plane crashes, and if that happens you won't be concerned with not destroying the structure. And as said already, the nose pulls out for the changing the batteries, one of the biggest plus sides to the SR.

Kid
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Oct 11, 2010, 12:24 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
The ARC 28-37-2 did not do it for me on this plane. Too slow, never clocked it but my guess would have been 120mph. I'm going to try one of my Neu 1105/2.5y's with a Hyperion 3S 1800mah 35C. This should be more pleasing. The Hyperions are also so much smaller than Turnigy/Rhino/Zippy. I found it very difficult fitting other brand lipos (1800-2200mah).

Those are some cool colors. I would like a new fuse, mine has seen some suffering. I wonder if the V3 fuse will fit the V2 wing? My wing is in perfect condition. I went with Airtronic servos all the way around.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Oct 11, 2010, 06:16 PM
Montreal
Joined Aug 2009
292 Posts
The Sunracer V3 is almost ready to go, just need to glue the elevator servo in and it's done. I haven't really touched it since a week and a half ago, because of a business trip. I'm surprised to hear that the Arc 2 turn only gave you 120mph. That doesn't sound right at all. On which prop? Something weird going on there, because according to all other accounts, it should be much faster than that.

The version 2 and version 3 fuses are identical and share the same wing bolt spacing. You could order the version 3 fuse and mate it to your V2 wing, no problem. It would make for some wacky colour scheme for sure. Make sure to post a picture if you go there!!

Jabberwocky
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:40 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky_ View Post
The Sunracer V3 is almost ready to go, just need to glue the elevator servo in and it's done. I haven't really touched it since a week and a half ago, because of a business trip. I'm surprised to hear that the Arc 2 turn only gave you 120mph. That doesn't sound right at all. On which prop? Something weird going on there, because according to all other accounts, it should be much faster than that.

The version 2 and version 3 fuses are identical and share the same wing bolt spacing. You could order the version 3 fuse and mate it to your V2 wing, no problem. It would make for some wacky colour scheme for sure. Make sure to post a picture if you go there!!

Jabberwocky
120mph was a guess. The prop I used was a 4.1x4.1. You can't really go much higher, maybe a 4.5x4.1. My speed guess is based on my other pylons that have gone a lot faster. Try that 2 turn out and see what you can get out of it.

I flew mine yesterday on a Neu 1105/2.5y, same prop, much faster.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:02 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,877 Posts
Even better with 1107/2y-4s ( two 2S back to back) and a 4.1X4.1 or 4.5X4.1, 4.7X4.7 runs bit hot though. It's kind of waste by putting an ARC motor on though.
LifeisGood is offline Find More Posts by LifeisGood
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:48 PM
Gravity Sucks!
Castle Rock, CO
Joined Aug 2008
411 Posts
Got my SR V3 on order. I couldn't resist the green after talking to Bob at SUSA. The wife is gonna shoot me.
Anyway, here is my setup:

NEU 1110/1Y
Phoenix 80 ESC
APC 4.75x4.75
HYPERION G3 EX 2200 MAH 3S 11.1V 45C/90C Lipo
2x HS-56HB Ail
1x Hyperion DS09 SCD Elev
Spektrum AR6255 Carbon Rx

Looking at eCalc it's telling me I should see about 196mph pitch speed, 600W output, and 43K RPM. It also gives me a warning "* Prop may stall -> static thrust may not be reached!" What the heck does that mean?
smarks is offline Find More Posts by smarks