HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:24 AM
Pencil grip
Olympia, WA
Joined Feb 2008
1,236 Posts
Build Log
Peter Rake's WACO 9 | Prototype Build

The WACO 9 is a classic Golden Era bipe whose most remarkable attribute might be how utterly unremarkable she is to the eye. If you Google around a bit, you'll quickly discover that the 9 was a workhorse, so the utilitarian lines seem apt. Call me old fashioned, but I think she's lovely.

Pete designed this model to come it at about 1:6 scale, so at 50+ inches, she'll be my biggest biplane by better than a foot.

EDIT: Correction. Per the exchange with Pete below, she's actually 1:8 at 48" across the top wing.

I'm smitten by several full scale subjects, but leaning toward the red and black aircraft at the Smithsonian (terrible photo below). A few others follow.

Here's a cleaner shot in B/W

Tempting!!!

hoffboy is offline Find More Posts by hoffboy
Last edited by hoffboy; Sep 30, 2010 at 10:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:32 AM
Pencil grip
Olympia, WA
Joined Feb 2008
1,236 Posts
Tail Bits

After carefully reviewing the plans, I began by stripping the tail feather lamils, then glued them up around templates cut from cardboard, and protected by blue tape, which releases with no fuss.

A bit of trimming.
A bunch of sanding.

Joined the elevator halves with a bit of bent wire and epoxy. Used 1-2-3 blocks to keep the joint nice and flat.

And on to the fuse we go.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 03:23 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,760 Posts
This is probably a good point at which to actually check the size of your plan. The one I drew is roughly 1/8 scale and definitely less than 50" span. More like 48" over the ailerons.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Sep 30, 2010, 07:38 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
845 Posts
I like her. I have a soft spot for bipes.
gupi is offline Find More Posts by gupi
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:42 PM
Pencil grip
Olympia, WA
Joined Feb 2008
1,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
This is probably a good point at which to actually check the size of your plan. The one I drew is roughly 1/8 scale and definitely less than 50" span. More like 48" over the ailerons.

Pete
Ha! Color me red. The plans are just fine. Exactly 24" from R1 to the tip of the aileron. It's my memory of our early email exchanges that's faulty. I blame CRS.

Speaking of the wings, Pete, can I assume zero dihedral and build the top wing in one piece, flat? (I don't see any dihedral guidance on the plans, but figured I'd confirm since we're on the subject.)

-Matt
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:54 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,564 Posts
Please tell me Manzano is going to be kitting this one.... I've loved the Waco 9 for a longggg time...
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:13 PM
Pencil grip
Olympia, WA
Joined Feb 2008
1,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Susbauer View Post
Please tell me Manzano is going to be kitting this one.... I've loved the Waco 9 for a longggg time...
I have tremendous faith in Pete's designs, so assuming a successful build and a test flight or two, I'm betting Charlie could be talked into putting it into production.
Last edited by hoffboy; Oct 01, 2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:58 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,848 Posts
Yes we will Paul
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Oct 01, 2010, 03:53 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,760 Posts
Matt,
Take another look at the plan, 5/16 dihedral under each R9T. So, when you come to the lower wings, make sure the three root ribs are in the correct order, the dowel holes set up the dihedral.

Pete
Old Oct 01, 2010, 12:14 PM
Pencil grip
Olympia, WA
Joined Feb 2008
1,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
Matt,
Take another look at the plan, 5/16 dihedral under each R9T. So, when you come to the lower wings, make sure the three root ribs are in the correct order, the dowel holes set up the dihedral.

Pete
OK, now that's two brain farts for me. I've been looking at these plans so long, I've lost my ability to see them.

All's well now. I see both the dihedral indication, and also that the lower root rib alignment holes are offset for dihedral. I'll use the sacrificial R1 trick we used on the Andreasson BA4B to make a nice beveled root joint.

Thanks for the heads up!

Matt
Old Oct 02, 2010, 01:41 AM
Pencil grip
Olympia, WA
Joined Feb 2008
1,236 Posts
Ribs Galore

After a careful rib review and sort, it appears that almost everything is here. I do appear to be shy two A2, which were easy to whip out from scrap.

All ribs and related bits are now bundled together by quadrant and set aside whilst the fuse assembly proceeds.

Pete, I now see not only the dihedral measurement under R9T, but ALSO the actual ply braces. Sheesh, I can't believe I missed that on the plans!

-Matt
Old Oct 02, 2010, 02:03 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,924 Posts
Matt - best to have your brain farts while perusing the plans rather than flying the plane (like one person I know well........)

Pat (brain fart/fade expert)
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A Small Diversion From Annie
Old Oct 02, 2010, 02:10 AM
Pencil grip
Olympia, WA
Joined Feb 2008
1,236 Posts
Fuselage Sides

The forward fuse comes in two long pieces, which I butt joined (note the blue tape sealing the joint under the 1-2-3 blocks) then added longerons, aft laser cut sheet, and aft vertical spacers to complete ladder 1. Ladder 2 was built atop 1 (with parchment paper between) to ensure a perfect match. With both sides complete, I carefully marked former locations before proceeding into 3D. This makes aligning formers MUCH easier down the road.
Old Oct 02, 2010, 02:35 AM
Pencil grip
Olympia, WA
Joined Feb 2008
1,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltone View Post
Matt - best to have your brain farts while perusing the plans rather than flying the plane (like one person I know well........)

Pat (brain fart/fade expert)
Truer words were never spoke, though I'm very impressed by your recent repairs! Makes the damage seem trivial.
Old Oct 02, 2010, 03:56 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,760 Posts
Interesting that you are two A2 parts missing. I was going to add them to the cut file, but there are already 12 on there. Unless Charlie has moved things, what you should have had were 5 at one end of two sheets and 1 at the other end of the same sheets. Or is it that there are two I'm not seeing?

Pete