SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by BMtech, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 04:06 AM
Scorpian 60'' 2012
Kurrajong Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,457 Posts
Mini-Review
New Forester

We picked up the new Subaru Forester (Diesel) on the Tuesday before going to Manilla & I was undecided to take it or not , it only had 120km on it Wednesday morning

Any way I started packing it up with all the gear & the boot space is quite large ,I fitted in our small fridge ,radio bag ,pillows ( must have own pillow in hotel) & 3 cloth bags ,esky bag with food & jackets plus all the rest of the SH##T you take away for a week

The trailer does double duty for us as we normally take it to dog shows with 4/5 cocker spaniels & an easy shade in the trailer, this time its full of planes & kits for the fest,we dropped in at Glenn's place to load up the rest of the gear & pick up his son Luke

The two boys in the back seats had plenty of leg room & with the adjustable seat backs could get comfortable, the center storage/arm rest got a work out with Ipods /phones & there are 2 cup holders as well

In the front the driver seat is electric in all directions while the passenger is mechanical,Anna my wife will use the car the most so is not to fussed about that,the seating is firm & well supported in the right places, the dash lay out is very Subaru without all of the bells & whistles of some Koren manufactures (we did look at them as well but decided on the Sub as we have an older Outback)

This is a turbo boxer diesel , so this would be a good test for it,I drive a lot of different cars with my work both petrol & diesel so I'm very familiar with their workings & performance plus nearly 40 years in the auto industry & the last 22 with BMW, the direct high pressure injection with pizo injectors starts & runs form cold with some typical noise but this soon becomes quite & the engine noise in the cab is just a low rumble

Will ad more later
BMtech is offline Find More Posts by BMtech
Last edited by BMtech; Sep 29, 2010 at 04:42 PM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:23 AM
Air Cooled VW mechanic
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jul 2008
202 Posts
For what it's worth.... VW had a diesel boxer in the Vanagon... WAY back in the 80's.
THX-181 is offline Find More Posts by THX-181
Old Sep 29, 2010, 04:44 PM
Scorpian 60'' 2012
Kurrajong Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,457 Posts
thx 181

Thanks for that, we never had that engine in Australia
BMtech is offline Find More Posts by BMtech
Old Sep 29, 2010, 04:53 PM
Air Cooled VW mechanic
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jul 2008
202 Posts
Wow! Really? How bizarre. I had no idea the diesel Vanagon didn't go down under.
Well, enjoy your Subie and the free VW lesson.
Eric
THX-181 is offline Find More Posts by THX-181
Closed Thread